Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Epson scanner doesn't work under Lion

Epson scanner doesn't work under Lion
mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2011, 06:01 PM

After upgrading to Lion, the Epson Scan app no longer works since it's a Power PC app apparently.

Is there any alternative to be able to scan under Lion?

It's an older Epson 2450 Perfection flatbed scanner.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2011, 06:03 PM

Go to Epson and get the latest driver. You scan with Image Capture now with Epson scanners.
Vandelay Industries

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Go to Epson and get the latest driver. You scan with Image Capture now with Epson scanners.
I was just reading this and apparently my scanner is supported out of the box with Lion.

OS X Lion, Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software

Thanks for the tip on Image Capture. I didn't know that but it works even better than the Epson software did under Snow Leopard!

ibook_steve
Jul 22, 2011, 01:22 AM

I have Epson Scan version 3.01 and it is Universal. Are you sure you have the latest?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 01:23 AM

There are Universal versions but it's deprecated. The latest drivers rely on Image Capture.
Vandelay Industries

mediahound  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
There are Universal versions but it's deprecated. The latest drivers rely on Image Capture.
Yes, mine was 2.7.3 and definitely a PowerPC app.

Image Capture works well.

hart
Senior User
Jul 22, 2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mediahound View Post
After upgrading to Lion, the Epson Scan app no longer works since it's a Power PC app apparently.

Is there any alternative to be able to scan under Lion?

It's an older Epson 2450 Perfection flatbed scanner.
Had to laugh as I have the same scanner running just fine after all these years. I've been using Image Capture though for quite a while with no problem. I'll be watching to see if it still works for you under Lion.

oregonredbeardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2011, 10:44 PM

I just finished setting up my dad's new iMac which has Lion 10.7.2. He wants to continue to use his Epson Perfection 2450 Photo Scanner. The scanner works through image Capture or Preview as described in earlier posts but the max resolution is 6400 dpi. He says he used to get 12000 dpi on his old PowerPC G4 Mac using Epson Scan. Does anyone know how to make it work at this resolution in Lion?

After reading the Epson website, I've used Apple-Software Update to confirm that I have the latest software update.

I also downloaded a file named epson14346.dmg. When I click on this file I get access to a file called Epson Scan.mpkg that is dated Feb 3, 2011. Unfortunately, clicking on this just gives me an error message that says "Cannot communicate with scanner, blah blah blah..."

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 09:07 AM

According to this http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/per245/per245sl.pdf that scanner supports 4800 dpi max.

oregonredbeardman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2011, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the quick response. Following the link, I was able to find the manual with this information:
Optical resolution = 2400 dpi
Maximum (sub scan) resolution* = 2400 dpi (main scan) × 4800 dpi hardware
* The maximum hardware resolution of 2400 × 4800 dpi is achieved using EPSON’s Micro Step Drive technology.
Maximum interpolated resolution = 12,800 dpi
Output resolution = 50 to 12,800 dpi
(50 to 6400 dpi in 1 dpi increments, 12,800 dpi performed with zoom function)

Talking more with my dad, I now know he was using the zoom function inside Epson Scan to zoom and scan a very small area of a 35mm slide at 12,800 dpi.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 11:25 AM

Just crop the scan. There is no point in scanning higher than the physical resolution. It just wastes storage space. Any program these days that displays images interpolates on the fly when zooming into images.

Cold Warrior
Nov 27, 2011, 12:04 PM

+1 for Image Capture. It works great and is reliable.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2011, 10:55 AM

I ran into this problem starting with Leopard on my Canon Lide30. Canon never released Intel/Universal drivers for the scanner and none of the newer scanners or their drivers worked with it.

Instead of using Vuescan for $38, which is still too much compared to a new scanner, I found out SANE drivers worked and I can now use the scanner after 5 years of being a paperweight.

Fortunately, I don't scan much.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jerryg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 09:44 AM

Correct. A tech help person at Epson told me today that Epson Scan will not work with Lion. They do supply a twain driver but the functionality is very limited and my scanner (V330) will not work using the buttons on the machine.

jerryg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 09:46 AM

Yes but the functionality is very limited...Epson scan doesn't work shockingly

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 18, 2012, 02:41 PM

Epson Scan for the V300 works perfectly under Lion. I'd think it works with the V330 as well.

ellenb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2012, 02:15 PM

Reassuring to hear that Epson scan works for V300 + Lion.

I have V300 and have not set up yet but heard that TWAIN is no longer included. Does anyone know whether I can move an old TWAIN plugin into Import/export folder in Photoshop and will it then work?
Thanks

photoguy70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

Epsons scan software from the epson sight will not open. Where do I get Image scan that will work in Lion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules