Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2014 World Cup

View Poll Results: Do you care about the World Cup?
Poll Options:
I live for the World Cup. I’ll be glued to my TV. 3 votes (30.00%)
I’m excited for the World Cup, but I really only follow my national team. 3 votes (30.00%)
Soccer is for weenies. I prefer my athletes on HGH. 0 votes (0%)
I hate sports. 4 votes (40.00%)
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
2014 World Cup
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2014, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure how active the NN football/soccer contingent is, but it's almost World Cup time, so let's gauge everyone's interest.

Also, I like polls, so there's a poll.

Some pre-World Cup topics:

1. Can Brazil handle it? Will the riots ruin the event, or even put visitors in danger?

2. The U.S. National Team left out their aging "superstar," Landon Donovan, from their 23-man roster. Is this a mistake?

3. England and the United States always seem to be placed in the two hardest groups. Is this a FIFA conspiracy against English-speaking nations?

4. Who will win? My money is on Germany.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2014, 05:56 PM

Italy is taking it all.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2014, 06:37 AM

This weekend, there were loads of end of season rugby matches and the Champions League Final (between Real Madrid and Athletico Madrid). What a difference between the way players treated the referee and behaved. No back chat in rugby, but in football they were shouting at his face and generally behaving like twats.

I'll probably watch a few matches, but professional football players annoy me. Apparently if the players in the Frog team 'participate' they get 75 000€.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2014, 06:46 AM

1. Can't see Brazil winning, they might get to the final. I'd be scared of going to some of the newer stadiums, apparently some seating parts haven't been cleared to hold people because they're not safe.

2. I know nothing about the US team.

3. Of course. Doubt England will get past the group stages.

4. Reckon Spain could do it again, but not counting out the Dutch or Germans.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2014, 06:17 PM

I'd hate to be a jerk, but Ronaldo's knee issues might wind up helping the U.S. get out of the group stage.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 08:28 AM

Brazil, Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, and Portugal (assuming Ronaldo's healthy) would have to be my tentative ordering...I'd put Brazil third in a vacuum, but home turf is usually a good boost.

Rooting for the Dutch again, although I have always disliked van Persie. This seems likely to be his and Robben's last kick at the can, but I have a hard time seeing them beating the top three.

Argentina is a bit of a wild card...they have a great draw but this team is really built entirely around Messi for the very first time, so it's tough to predict how that will translate. I'm going to say well if he's in peak form.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2014, 03:24 PM

As an Arsenal fan, my intensifying hatred for Van Persie turns me against the entire Netherlands team.

As for Argentina, I just read they have the oldest World Cup squad, with an average age of around 29 years old. That was staggering to me, for some reason.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
As an Arsenal fan, my intensifying hatred for Van Persie turns me against the entire Netherlands team.

As for Argentina, I just read they have the oldest World Cup squad, with an average age of around 29 years old. That was staggering to me, for some reason.
A fellow Gunner!

"Na, Na, Na, Na, Nana-Nana, Nana-Nana... Gir-oud!"
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2014, 02:22 PM

I have France and Cameroon in the sweep at work, so those 2 teams won't win. I don't really do football, but England will lose on penalties at some point, it's traditional.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2014, 06:17 PM

England could do well if they just copy Liverpool with Rooney or maybe Welbeck in the Suarez role.
It will suit them even better than it does Liverpool if they can pull it off because they probably have better defence than Liverpool does but also they are really going to need to blitz teams early on and then sit and defend a lead, otherwise I can see them wilting badly in the heat. They really need to win their games in the first 25-30 minutes and I'm not sure they've realised this yet.

Surprised Uruguay haven't had a mention. Their defence is also a bit suspect, but they have two of the most best forwards in the world. I'm not convinced about Italy or Germany this time around, but the Germans always raise their game at a tournament.
Belgium have great set of players this time out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2014, 07:29 PM

0-0. Against 10 man Honduras. W T F ?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2014, 12:34 AM

Electrical storms seem like a valid excuse.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 06:04 AM

Also that they mostly dominated play against a defensive team that never threatened....this was a trial run, in the tournament the big guns won't get subbed at the half.

Having said that, I always enjoy the annoying overconfidence of England fans every year, and I drink up the salty milkshake of their tears when they go out; I drink it up. Having said that, you bunch seem less optimistic slash more realistic this year, so hopefully that doesn't mean you go far.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
the annoying overconfidence of England fans every year
Dunno what sites you've been reading, but it's been a while since England fans were truely optimistic. Last time was the 2006 World Cup.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2014, 06:47 AM

Seems so long ago since the last one....

Given that my country very rarely makes the grade, I have always followed Brazil and Italy. Traditionally two fundamentally different teams. Brazil's flair contrasted with Italy's ability to grind out wins.

Being a 'Pool supporter I can still not bring myself to support the English - pompous twats!
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
Being a 'Pool supporter I can still not bring myself to support the English - pompous twats!
And LFC/MUFC/MFC/AFC/CFC players aren't pompous twats? LOL.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2014, 08:18 AM

Having said that, I always enjoy the annoying overconfidence of England fans every year, and I drink up the salty milkshake of their tears when they go out; I drink it up. Having said that, you bunch seem less optimistic slash more realistic this year, so hopefully that doesn't mean you go far.
Annoying overconfidence? I think you mean inexplicable delusional optimism.

I didn't realise you were Scottish/Irish/Welsh.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Dunno what sites you've been reading, but it's been a while since England fans were truely optimistic. Last time was the 2006 World Cup.
First Step to Identifying an England football fan: no memory of behaviour during the last World Cup, and rose-coloured replacement memories of the one before that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
4. Who will win? My money is on Germany.
Germany just lost one of their better players, Marco Reus. Let's see.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Germany just lost one of their better players, Marco Reus. Let's see.

-t
Saw that. It changes things.

I still see them putting up a good fight, but we'll see how it affects them once the group stage begins.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 05:21 PM

First Step to Identifying an England football fan: no memory of behaviour during the last World Cup, and rose-coloured replacement memories of the one before that.
First step to identifying a troll : when you see someone who doesn't know what they're talking about posting drivel to incite a response. And adding a smiley.

I'll let you search for what people were saying when Capello announced the squad in 2010, you can do that can't you?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 06:00 PM

Wait, do I really need to teach a Brit how to detect droll sarcasm? Wait, is that the reason you live in France?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2014, 04:51 PM

Just watching Spain implode. Who'd have predicted this from them?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Not me, I thought that they'd win it again. Incredible letting in 7 goals in 2 matches.

So War, tonight you're hoping that Suarez gets his legs broken by Rooney?

P
Jun 19, 2014, 05:44 AM

I'm not surprised that they lost per se, especially the first game, but the way they did it was remarkable.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 09:21 AM

Spain playing so poorly was definitely a shocker...temporary end to tiki-taka? That seems to be the easy conclusion, anyway....

The Dutch are my team and two great wins, but they have been lucky in both games. Spain should have scored several times, and Australia also flubbed several gimme opportunities (although to be fair Cahill's strike was extraordinary). Their back end is going to need to tighten up as you have to think the scoring barrage will dry up for at least one match.

Will be interesting to see whether the NED-CHI match gives either team something to play for - as Group A may already be determined, so both teams may rather the second seed instead of first....

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2014, 10:21 AM

I didn't think Spain's first loss wasn't such a devastating shock until it went to 4-1, but the loss to Chile was staggering. I know they're a good team, but this is supposed to be Spain...

That said, a lot of their players have aged considerably, and you could see it.

---

The Cahill goal.............

For anyone who hasn't seen it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2014, 10:47 AM

How do you leave someone that open for a shot on goal? There were 3 defenders on him and the ball hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity. That's some lazy defense, right there.
- Thomas Paine

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2014, 11:15 AM

Saw the Cahill goal live and it was really great. Haven't seen anywhere close to all the goals, but here are my five favorite:

#5 FRA Karim Benzema steep angle, high placement against Honduras
#4 US Brooks' header from a corner to go up 2-1 in 86'
#3 NED Robben's rundown and fake out of goalie+2 defenders against ESP
#2 AUS Cahill's out of the air rocket against NED
#1 NED Van Persie's header against ESP (absolutely beautiful)

Honorable mention to Dempsey's dribble and left foot strike in the 1st minute.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
How do you leave someone that open for a shot on goal? There were 3 defenders on him and the ball hung in the air for what seemed like an eternity. That's some lazy defense, right there.
I don't really think so, even though I am also critical of the Dutch back line. The through ball was cleverly bent and you can see it initially sent defenders the wrong way. However, they were still stacked to prevent a cut back through to the middle or a shot across the net, and had sagged off Cahill to prevent him from advancing through off his first touch.

He just made a spectacular strike off a spectacular pass. That was beautiful offence.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
#3 NED Robben's rundown and fake out of goalie+2 defenders against ESP
#1 NED Van Persie's header against ESP (absolutely beautiful)
French news channel said that Robben went fast enough to do a (IIRC) 10.4 100m when he scored that goal. And that's controlling a football.

I still can't believe the header, incredible that he made contact let alone placed it so well. Slow-mo shows that he nearly ate some turf when he landed!!

Did you not see Messi's goal?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2014, 12:53 PM

I don't really think so, even though I am also critical of the Dutch back line. The through ball was cleverly bent and you can see it initially sent defenders the wrong way. However, they were still stacked to prevent a cut back through to the middle or a shot across the net, and had sagged off Cahill to prevent him from advancing through off his first touch.

He just made a spectacular strike off a spectacular pass. That was beautiful offence.
Honestly, he was the only striker for Oz in that area, where else would it be going? If you're an opposing team and you don't have a man constantly glued to Cahill's arse, it's an epic fail.

I won't take anything away from the kick itself though, that was a brilliant shot.
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2014, 04:59 PM

Overpaid twats.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2014, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Not me, I thought that they'd win it again. Incredible letting in 7 goals in 2 matches.

So War, tonight you're hoping that Suarez gets his legs broken by Rooney?
Never.

What a disappointment though. I thought we had them.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2014, 07:58 PM

Wow what a game with Portugal!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2014, 08:37 PM

I think Ronaldo is as overrated/annoying/metrosexual as the next guy but that final cross was a thing of beauty.

US continues to have ball possession issues but they're scrappy as hell. Not looking forward to Germany however.

P
Jun 23, 2014, 03:07 AM

That group is a hornet's nest. Interesting bit is that in case of a draw, both Germany and the US go through to the next case, no matter what happens in the other game. That usually means that there will be a draw.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2014, 08:45 AM

That happened between Germany and Austria a few years back. Eyebrows were raised.

I've always thought the USA would be a great team if the sport was more popular there. They have the right attitude, drive, ambition to do well. A bit like the Germans in that. Very good at getting their heads right when they play. This was true before they had a German coach too.

England on the other hand gave up when Suarez scored his second. A goal after that would have kept hope alive, but they gave up the second they fell behind. They did the same against Brazil in 2002 which was even worse. They had a really good team back then.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2014, 10:32 AM

The US did extremely well (for us) yesterday, especially considering we were without a striker. Michael Bradley sort of disappeared again, but the midfield play was greatly improved.

Jermaine Jones' shot was a thing of beauty. You can see him setting himself up in the replays, but in real-time, it stunned me. Seemed to come out of nowhere.

You can tell Ronaldo isn't healthy. He looked like a shell of himself. I hope he hasn't done permanent damage to his knee by playing, especially since he's said that he eventually wants to come to MLS. It would be great for the league.

P
Jun 23, 2014, 10:46 AM

That happened between Germany and Austria a few years back. Eyebrows were raised.
In the European championships a few years back, there was a group with Sweden, Denmark, Italy and a fourth team that I can't remember. The qualification rules were slightly different then, in that internal matchups were counted ahead of goal difference, which meant that the result against the fourth team were irrelevant as long as all three teams won - which they did. Italy had draws against Denmark (0-0) and Sweden (1-1), who were now due to face each other. Assuming Italy won their game: If either Denmark or Sweden won, they'd qualify and bring Italy along with them. If there was a draw, it would depend on the score. 0-0 meant Sweden and Italy, 1-1 meant that it would be Sweden plus whoever of the other two had the better goal difference against the fourth team, and 2-2 meant that it was Sweden and Denmark irrespective of what Italy did.

The game ended 2-2 after Sweden scored in injury time. An old coworker of mine was in Italy when that happened - apparently absolutely everyone believed that the fix was in.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2014, 04:03 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2014, 04:11 PM

Pff, amateur. This guy has nothing on Mike Tyson.

-t

P
Jun 24, 2014, 04:13 PM

I saw that game. Terrible ref - I'm not generally a fan of Italy's defensive style of play, but they got robbed here. The red card was quite possibly the worst call in the entire cup so far, and Suarez should have been thrown out. Let's hope he at least gets a long suspension.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2014, 09:13 PM

Naw, that red card was harsh, but you cannot call it a terrible call IMO. He came in spikes to the knee directly in front of the ref. That was at minimum a yellow card, and when you get to that point, a red is always a possibility.

The biting is hilarious, but at the end of the day it was well behind the vision of play and those incidents always slip by. East for the ref to miss, but unfortunately Suarez will likely get dinged.....too bad, he's great.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2014, 02:35 AM

I thought the red card was fair enough, studs into somebody's leg right next to the ref, bye bye.

Suarez knew he was in the shit at the end of the match, the rest of the Uruguay team were jumping around and cheering, he quietly walked off.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2014, 04:13 AM

More biting? Really? Hopefully they'll give him a nice long ban to think about it, dweeb.
- Thomas Paine

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2014, 04:23 AM

As a 'pool supporter I can honestly say Saurez is a mentalist. Great player but stoopid. Hope he leaves for Spain as rumoured, but this latest bitey bitey incident has reduced his marketablitly dramaticallly.

I thought the Ivory Coast got robbed by Greece with that penalty at the end. The guy fell over his own feet and gets the winner via penalty spot kick. Sadly indicative of the sport.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2014, 04:46 AM

Yeah but how the hell do you replace him?

I still wouldn't sell him. He's too good.

I find it odd that the fuss made is as much as it is. Yes its unacceptable but is it as dangerous as punching, elbowing or head butting another player? Clearly not yet for some reason those are all far more acceptable and less punished. Even launching yourself two footed at a fan attracted less venom from the press.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2014, 05:01 AM

Liverpool has been around for over 100 years. Suarez will not. No man is bigger than the club.

As for selling him - who would want him??!!?? His stocks fell dramatically today. Liverpool should reduce his wage bill.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2014, 08:11 AM

Yeah but how the hell do you replace him?

I still wouldn't sell him. He's too good.

I find it odd that the fuss made is as much as it is. Yes its unacceptable but is it as dangerous as punching, elbowing or head butting another player? Clearly not yet for some reason those are all far more acceptable and less punished. Even launching yourself two footed at a fan attracted less venom from the press.
Dangerous? No. But neither is spitting. Yet spitting is far more reviled than punching or elbowing. It is just a nasty act and he should be banned for the remainder of the tournament. The fact he's done it twice before makes it even more ridiculous.

Forum Links
Forum Rules