Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Bug in iOS 8 can cause iCloud Drive erasure, report warns

Bug in iOS 8 can cause iCloud Drive erasure, report warns
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 29, 2014, 08:36 PM

A newly-discovered bug in the "Reset All Settings" control in iOS 8 can cause documents stored in the new iCloud Drive to be permanently deleted. The feature is not recommended to be upgraded to until OS X Yosemite has been officially released -- which is expected to happen sometime next month -- but some iOS 8 users who have upgraded prematurely will be at risk of losing files, such as iWork documents stored in the cloud, if they use the "Reset All Settings" troubleshooting feature.

The bug is unusual to start with -- normally, resetting iPhone or iPad settings would not affect anything stored on iCloud unless users chose "Erase All Content and Settings" -- but also appears to delete only those types of documents openable natively on iOS 8, such as Pages documents and PDFs. Other types of files, such as Preview and TextEdit documents or third-party files, don't appear to be affected, notes MacRumors, though staffers at MacNN have also seen reports of music stored in iCloud Drive disappearing. Thus far, the bug doesn't appear to occur for Windows-based iCloud Drive users.

The problem can affect anyone who has upgraded to iCloud Drive (which is not the same as Documents in the Cloud, the default for OS X and iOS at present) on iOS 8 or the beta version of Yosemite, but requires the user to deliberately invoke the "Reset All Settings" feature from the Reset menu on an iOS device (under Settings, General) in iOS 8 -- considered a "last resort" step to fix problems. Thus, the problem should not become widespread.

Apple has been notified of the issue, but has not yet commented on any forthcoming fix.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 30, 2014 at 06:03 AM. )

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Sep 29, 2014, 09:24 PM

This is why your backup strategy needs to include the 'cloud' going bonkers. Since the cloud often syncs, if something goes wrong, it efficiently replicates the disaster to every device you own.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

azrich
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2014, 09:48 PM

I'm not sure about iCloud drive (won't update to it until Yosemite arrives) but all that iCloud stuff is hidden on your mac if you have one. I had to go into TimeMachine and pull out some old iCloud files because of a Snafu when Numbers was updated to 2.0 a while back. The folders are hidden by default but if you hold down option and pull down the menu from the Finder's GO option you'll see a library appear that is normally not there. Hopefully anyone who nuked their stuff can find it there before it's over written. Steve is right of course, don't rely solely on the cloud!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2014, 09:51 PM

Good advice, though of course iCloud Drive is not mandatory -- and as noted in the article you would have to be doing something extremely unusual to invoke the bug. The periodic resets Apple warned and then invoked during the earlier testing period were more similar to "the cloud going bonkers." Also, most cloud services -- including iCloud -- have backups.

Still, cloud backups anything should be considered secondary/off-site backups, not primary backups IMO. It's not that I don't have faith in them -- I do -- but as I don't have control of that equipment, other factors like electrical outages or Internet snafus come into play, and Murphy's Law dictates that such an event will occur exactly at the moment I need my spare copy of something.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Ham Sandwich
Sep 30, 2014, 08:36 PM

I'm on the beta program, and 10.10 Yosemite tells me that my computer will not be able to access my iCloud data until it is upgraded to iOS 8 or Yosemite.

I have Yosemite.

So what gives? Should I turn it on?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2014, 09:02 AM

If all of your devices are running either iOS 8 or Yosemite, then I feel it safe to turn on iCloud drive -- I did and not everything I own is running Yosemite yet.

If you rely heavily on iWork documents in the cloud the old-fashioned way ("Documents in the Cloud"), then you might want to make a backup of those documents first, then turn on iCloud Drive, and ensure that they're still accessible.

As for Contacts, Calendars, and the other sync-only type data, you'll not notice a difference -- those work exactly the same way.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 1, 2014, 09:34 AM

If ALL of your devices are on iOS 8 and Yosemite as appropriate, then turn it on.

Otherwise...

leave it off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules