Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > AT&T locking Apple SIMs in new iPad models, buyers complain

AT&T locking Apple SIMs in new iPad models, buyers complain
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 24, 2014, 03:53 PM

The new Apple SIM in the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 is being locked to AT&T if data subscribers choose that carrier, according to complaints. The problem is confirmed by a new Apple support document, which says that when buyers "choose AT&T on iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3, AT&T dedicates Apple SIM to [that] network only."

AT&T is so far the only carrier that appears to be locking the Apple SIM, which is supposed to be intended to allow customers to move between providers seamlessly. In the US, for instance, iPad owners can try a T-Mobile plan one month, but switch to Sprint the next, and vice versa. Apple's support document indicates that if a person chooses AT&T, the only way to make the leap to another carrier is to buy a new Apple SIM and choose a different carrier.

Prior to the latest models, people buying an iPad had to choose a specific carrier, whether in advance or by activating an appropriate SIM card. This remains true with Verizon, which isn't an option on the new Apple SIM.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 24, 2014 at 08:54 PM. )

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2014, 04:46 PM

Wow! That sure would drive me to try any other carrier other than AT&T.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2014, 04:47 PM

In Canada, I would expect the same unscrupulous behaviour from Rogers.

azrich
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2014, 05:12 PM

Stay classy AT&T! Stay classy...

vinnieA2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2014, 07:03 PM

Man that is ridiculous. You can count on AT&T to do this kind of thing. They are always the last to support new OS features, and if you ask me, if they "brick" your sim, they should pay for a new one if you switch. Can anyone say "class action suit"?

davisadm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2014, 08:41 PM

Shame on you, AT&T!

chimaera
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2014, 09:18 PM

This looks a lot like theft. "It was your SIM card, now it's our SIM card. Thank you."

I love how big corporations steal from us, those poor(er) than themselves. Can't we watch even one great heist, of AT&T robbing a few billion from Verizon HQ? Middle of the night, commando team in black, clean out the vault. "We're honorable here at AT&T. We refuse to rob those smaller than ourselves." One can dream.

elroth
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2014, 12:08 AM

At least Verizon tells you up front that they don't care what you want. AT&T tries to hide it.

hayesk
Oct 25, 2014, 12:42 PM

I struggle to see why this is a big deal. Who cares if the SIM is locked as long as the iPad isn't locked? SIMs cost a few pennies - and you often get one free from your new provider when you sign up for service.

azrich
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2014, 06:33 PM

This is a big deal because it undermines the whole purpose of the Apple SIM! It's douche-y. Why should you have to buy another SIM if you already have one? If once you put Chevron gas in your car you couldn't put any other brand of gas in your car, but you could swap out the tank at a fraction of the cost of the car, wouldn't that be annoying?

Now Apple has to invent a multiple SIM, SIM Card.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Oct 27, 2014, 07:43 PM

That's messed up. I'm shopping elsewhere when I get my next phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules