Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Retina 5K iMac upgraded with P3 color gamut, Skylake processors

Retina 5K iMac upgraded with P3 color gamut, Skylake processors
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 13, 2015, 09:28 AM

In addition to today's reveal of the 21.5-inch 4K iMac, Apple has made significant upgrades to the 27-inch iMac 5K. The new model has the same resolution screen, but now with the same larger P3 color gamut on the 4K iMac. Furthermore, the new large-screen model skips the fifth generation of Intel processors, and brings the new "Skylake" quad-core CPU to the line.

Processor options for the new model of 5K Retina iMac start with the 3.2Ghz quad-core i5 processor, with a 3.3Ghz quad-core i5 and 4.0GHz quad-core i7 processors as options. GPU options for the 5K iMac are all Radeon R9-based, with the M380 with 2GB VRAM through the M395X, with 4GB of GDDR5 VRAM available at purchase. Connectivity options remain the same, with two Thunderbolt 2 ports, a SDHC slot, four USB 3.0 ports, Gigabit Ethernet, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Both the 4K iMac and the newly updated 5K iMac come with the new Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse. The new Magic Trackpad 2 with Force Touch is optional.

The baseline 5K iMac ships with a 1TB 7200RPM hard drive. Upgrade options are a 1TB Fusion Drive with 24GB of flash storage, or 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives with 128GB of flash storage. Also available are 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB levels of flash storage. The new storage reaches speeds of 2GB/s, just under four times faster than current SSDs. The RAM is faster than the previous generation as well, at 1867MHz and starts at 8GB. As opposed to the 4K iMac, RAM is user-upgradeable up to 32GB from Apple, or 64GB from third-party RAM vendors.

Three configurations of the new 27-inch 5K iMac are available today, starting at $1,799.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 16, 2015 at 05:37 AM. )

MitchIves
Oct 13, 2015, 11:39 AM

Meanwhile, when asked about upgrades to the Mac Pro, Apple responded with (insert cricket noises)...

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
Oct 13, 2015, 01:18 PM

My current iMac is pushing 3 years, yet the fusion drive size and max RAM remains the same...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2015, 03:45 PM

Personally I am waiting for Skylake in a retina MBP to upgrade from my 17" MBP.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 14, 2015, 10:46 AM

Why on Earth has Apple upgraded their iMacs 3 times in a year? They *just* updated the 5K recently before that, and that was *just* after they first released the 5K iMac. If Apple waited until today to use Skylake, then why the intermediate release earlier this year?

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 14, 2015, 10:55 AM

And.reg, I can't speak for Apple on this, but I think possibly the best answer is "because they can." This was the promise of Intel back in the day -- speedier upgrades, implementing newer processors with less engineering effort than before.

I think a better question is Mitch's : where's the frequent update for the Mac Pro?

Peter Bonte
Oct 15, 2015, 07:19 AM

I was waiting for this update, my current iMac died a month ago and was marginally slower than this model. Specs are almost the same except for the 5K so i'v waited for an update to at least have the newest processors and GPU.
Loved the iMac but a known problem with the GPU killed it out of the program, damn.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 15, 2015, 08:29 AM

There is a +$100 option for a 4K fusion drive. The 5Ks still use the lava hot AMDs, I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules