Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > AT&T unlimited data plans to raise in price by $5 in February

AT&T unlimited data plans to raise in price by $5 in February
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 1, 2015, 10:40 AM

AT&T is increasing the rate of its unlimited data plans by $5, bringing the cost of the now-discontinued plan to $35. Blaming higher amounts of data usage by consumer and business customers, the carrier will be making the change from February next year, affecting all customers grandfathered into the plan since it ended, and will in fact be the first increase in price for the unlimited data plan in a seven-year period.

Initially spotted by 9to5Mac, AT&T is giving customers the choice of changing their service to the carrier's Mobile Share Value plans. There is also the option to end the wireless service entirely and switching to another provider, with AT&T waiving the early termination fees for the lines if the service is cancelled within 60 days of the change itself. Anyone cancelling will still need to pay any remaining balance on Next installment plans associated with the line.

Despite the 16 percent price rise, the $35 per month plan is still an attractive prospect to those with high data needs. In September, AT&T revealed it was increasing the data allowances of unlimited data plan customers before throttling takes place, raising the LTE limit from 5GB to 22GB of usage in a single billing period. In May, it altered its policy to only throttle high-usage customers in areas with network congestion.

climacs
Senior User
Dec 1, 2015, 02:34 PM

They really hate us on that plan... but $5 increase after 7 years is not that bad. If I bought my iPhone on contract, will they waive the early termination fees for that phone purchase as well? If so, this might be my chance to ditch ATT...

climacs
Senior User
Dec 1, 2015, 02:35 PM

that link just takes me to a blank support page...

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 1, 2015, 03:34 PM

You mean not make you pay back the subsidized portion of your phone? No, you'll still have to pay that.

climacs
Senior User
Dec 1, 2015, 04:08 PM

bummer

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2015, 11:55 PM

AT&T cares absolutely nothing about loyalty. I stuck by them despite having the highest dropped-call rate in the US and their terrible 3G service in NYC for years, I didn't switch to Verizon when the iPhone 4 came out onto their network, I tried to ignore that they deny tethering or that they blocked features like MMS or FaceTime over 3G, and gritted my teeth when they throttled us unlimited customers even when the FCC said that was illegal. But raising the prices is kind of a last straw for me. What advantage do I have left to stick with them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules