Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What Do I Need To Do

What Do I Need To Do
iHanhauser
Apr 9, 2003, 03:18 AM

What do I need to do to upgrade the memory in my 17 Incher .... I have the standard 512 right now.

- Were can I buy it

- How do you put it in -- (Professional need ? )

Thanks

iHanhauser

butter71
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by iHanhauser:
What do I need to do to upgrade the memory in my 17 Incher .... I have the standard 512 right now.
check out the memory configurator at kingston.

configurator

don't know if they have the best prices, but it'll give you all the info you need about what chip you need.

as far as the install, i haven't done it.. but it should be easy. aren't there instructions in the manual that came with the powerbook? if not, i'm sure there's a knowledgebase article with pictures.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2003, 03:28 AM

Look in the manual that came with your computer. It contains instructions on how to add memory to a 17-inch PowerBook.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 07:00 AM

I would recommend getting it cheaper than from www.apple.com by buying it from www.ramseeker.com.

As as stated, check your manual for easy instructions on how to do it; it's much simpler in the 17" PB than it has been in previous TiBook models, and even those were a sinch, so you'll be able to do it yourself quickly and easily.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 07:02 AM

Noooooo... Always buy Apple Ram. Don't go for the cheap stuff. If you can get official Apple Ram elsewhere at a good price then great but otherwise leave the cheap stuff. It'll only cause trouble at a later date!

Fitting it is easy. ? Takes 2 minutes

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by schuey100:
Noooooo... Always buy Apple Ram. Don't go for the cheap stuff. If you can get official Apple Ram elsewhere at a good price then great but otherwise leave the cheap stuff. It'll only cause trouble at a later date!

Fitting it is easy. ? Takes 2 minutes
Please, honestly, disregard this post. RamSeeker's RAM is not *cheap* by any means. That "Apple RAM" you're paying 2 arms and a leg for is just Samsung RAM installed by Apple, nothing fancy, nothing special, just overpriced. I agree, don't buy "no name brand" RAM, but certianly find yourself some Kingston or Crucial RAM at MUCH cheaper prices that'll perfom exactly the same.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 07:25 AM

I agree, some Ram is okay. However, one of the main reasons for Macs not starting up is that cheap Ram is fitted. Normally the first thing I do with any Mac that is having problems is check what ram it has. More ofen than not, by taking out the Ram the machine is fixed. I can point you to numerous Fora where cheap Ram has caused big problems. I'm not sure about the Ram you mention, you might be right. I do know however, that Crucial Ram has caused me problems in the past.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by schuey100:
I agree, some Ram is okay. However, one of the main reasons for Macs not starting up is that cheap Ram is fitted. Normally the first thing I do with any Mac that is having problems is check what ram it has. More ofen than not, by taking out the Ram the machine is fixed. I can point you to numerous Fora where cheap Ram has caused big problems. I'm not sure about the Ram you mention, you might be right. I do know however, that Crucial Ram has caused me problems in the past.
*Cheap* RAM should mean cheap quality, *not* cheap prices, as there's a huge difference between the two. But buying RAM with a name on it, such as Samsung, Crucial, or Kingston to name a few, at least warrents your puchase that if it doesn't work, you can return it for some that does. But all Apple does is use this regular name brand RAM, and there's no sense in paying their prices for it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 07:29 AM

As I said, not sure about Kingston, but Crucial has caused me problems. I can only go from my experience. If you've not had problems with it then great. I personally wouldn't go for crucial again.

By the way, I agree that Apples prices are stupidly inflated !!!

xpander
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 07:32 AM

I have been using "cheap" ram for 7 years now, and have had no problems what so ever. I have always bought it from 18004MEMORY.com for almost half of what apple charges.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by xpander:
I have been using "cheap" ram for 7 years now, and have had no problems what so ever. I have always bought it from 18004MEMORY.com for almost half of what apple charges.
Yes..I bought quite a lot of RAM chipsets for different type of computers from them and got a problem only once.. So, I tend to agree with xpander..Plus, If the ram is faulty, them you can always send them back to get a replacement...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Finrock
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 07:39 AM

I agree - I've always bought the cheapest ram from 18004memory.com and I've never had a problem.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
Yes..I bought quite a lot of RAM chipsets for different type of computers from them and got a problem only once.. So, I tend to agree with xpander..Plus, If the ram is faulty, them you can always send them back to get a replacement...
Exactly
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules