Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Predictor@Home update

Predictor@Home update (Page 2)
Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by finizio:
btw

Jaguar computers tried to process more than 40 units without any claimed or granted credit!!!
I'm at a loss. Saw a few reports similar to this though with the 3.19 client. The re-compile seems to work on some machines but then not on others. This may be why the BOINC dev team gave up trying to make a Jaguar compatible client.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 08:26 PM

Doesn't this mean
Validate state
Initial

that the unit hasn't been accepted yet?

And doesn't this
Validate state
Invalid

mean the unit is invalid, so no credit is likely ever?

What speed is your machine finizio?

Or is this on more than one machine?

Were all these units crunched with the 3.20 client?

As for sitting on Credit, the most I have seen is 11K pending

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2004, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
Doesn't this mean
Validate state
Initial

that the unit hasn't been accepted yet?

And doesn't this
Validate state
Invalid
Yes, but the validate state initial, should still show "claimed" or pending credit. It just won't show granted credit. finizio's issue is that they all show "0" claimed credit, so no matter what happens, the most any computer can get for that work unit is "zero". Also, the invalid unit should show -!- for claimed credit instead of "0", so it doesn't mess with the credit awarded to other computers.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2004, 03:22 AM

Well we have now moved into the #9 spot in recent average credit. Still a little ways away from taking the #9 in total credit spot, but we will get there.

drweaser's E-Mac farm helped kick us up a notch, and it looks like he will probably knock me down to the #3 team spot within a week. That is good though. Just a little more power and we can make a move on the #8, #7 & #6 spots overall.

Now that would be sweet!

drweaser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2004, 08:30 PM

Hopefully, I will have all 20 iBooks online consistently in the next week. Just installed 5 Airports in the middle and upper school. In about 3 weeks I should have 10 more eMacs and a couple of iMacs (hopefully G5's) online. That is assuming we ever complete construction in our library.....

I notice that my G5 tower and some other anonymous G5 tower had moved into the top 10 hosts on P@H over the last couple of days, probably due to the wonderful superoptimized boinc benchmarks

drweaser

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by drweaser:
Hopefully, I will have all 20 iBooks online consistently in the next week. Just installed 5 Airports in the middle and upper school. In about 3 weeks I should have 10 more eMacs and a couple of iMacs (hopefully G5's) online. That is assuming we ever complete construction in our library.....

I notice that my G5 tower and some other anonymous G5 tower had moved into the top 10 hosts on P@H over the last couple of days, probably due to the wonderful superoptimized boinc benchmarks
At that rate, you might give mikkyo a run for his money.

Well we are now #9 overall, and #8 in recent average credit.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 05:52 AM

I can't turn on the rest of my farm for at least a month or so, so please pass me and move the team up into 5th place
( Last edited by mikkyo; Aug 2, 2004 at 05:59 AM. )

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 7, 2004, 05:08 PM

Looks like we are currently 7th in daily production and Rechenkraft.net and Nordlichter are hot on our tail.
Rechenkraft has 118 members!
It may be that due to the recent outages, their sudden spurt is just due to their large number of members (more people, more validated WUs), and we will be catching up as our pending credit becomes valid.
I sure hope all our Seti folks have attached the Predictor project to help the team.
It would be good for anyone thinking of starting on Predictor to jump in now and help keep the Team climbing.

GCC 3.5 compiled clients might help us out some, but without being able to optimize the Predictor worker, we don't get nearly the speed increase we could have.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 06:11 PM

Looks like we are currently 7th in daily production and Rechenkraft.net and Nordlichter are hot on our tail.
Rechenkraft has 118 members!
It may be that due to the recent outages, their sudden spurt is just due to their large number of members (more people, more validated WUs), and we will be catching up as our pending credit becomes valid.
I sure hope all our Seti folks have attached the Predictor project to help the team.
It would be good for anyone thinking of starting on Predictor to jump in now and help keep the Team climbing.

GCC 3.5 compiled clients might help us out some, but without being able to optimize the Predictor worker, we don't get nearly the speed increase we could have.
Actually we just passed Rechenkraft to briefly take the #7 overall. AT the moment, they are back ahead by 3 points. I suspect many of their members are actually split between SETI & Predictor, and now that SETI is finally delivering some work with consistency, they are crunching more there. Considering the size of our team, we are turning in some pretty impressive numbers.

And wouldn't you know one of my Windows PC's just went down again.

Maybe once the CASP competition is over, and the BOINC platform is stable, we can convince the Predictor folks to let you have a stab at optimizing their worker.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 07:06 PM

Guess what?
http://predictor.scripps.edu/create_account_form.php

You can now create new accounts!

Time for a big push.

All you Seti folks should join Predictor while you can!

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 11:07 PM

Guess what?
http://predictor.scripps.edu/create_account_form.php

You can now create new accounts!

Time for a big push.

All you Seti folks should join Predictor while you can!
Yippee!!

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 04:34 PM

Funny, I don't see any new members of our team...

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:27 AM

Funny, I don't see any new members of our team...
Looks like we added 2 or 3.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 22, 2004, 02:25 PM

Well Team MacNN has now pushed into 6th in daily production and the credits are really starting to roll in.
8th in total credits is about to be achieved in the next few hours.
Consistent project uptime for the last several days has really helped as well as the instant granting of all pending credits for old work.
drweaser's systems are crunching quite nicely and I've added another beast to the barnyard.
Shaktai isn't pushing his usual high average credit which makes the whole team sad.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 04:05 AM

Well Team MacNN has now pushed into 6th in daily production and the credits are really starting to roll in.
8th in total credits is about to be achieved in the next few hours.
Consistent project uptime for the last several days has really helped as well as the instant granting of all pending credits for old work.
drweaser's systems are crunching quite nicely and I've added another beast to the barnyard.
Shaktai isn't pushing his usual high average credit which makes the whole team sad.
Hey, I've got over 5200 credits pending. Unfortunately, I've got a whole bunch of units waiting on a few folks who may not validate for several more days. On the windows side of things, a few users downloaded massive caches of work units, some of which they can't complete for several days. That delays credit for a lot of folks. The team is doing great however. I've got one box on Climate Prediction that has never been on Predictor, so once things settle down a little, I may always bring it over.

Sadly, my quest for a new PowerMac has been delayed. I'm still crunching however.

monsoonstorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2004, 06:37 AM

Well, I've just joined up!

I joined team macnn a while back, but then my computer died. I thought it had bitten the dust. I got my new MacWorld though and lo and behold, a topic on a mac that wouldn't start. One PMU reset later and I'm back in business!

Good to be back!

MonsoonStorm

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by monsoonstorm:
Well, I've just joined up!

I joined team macnn a while back, but then my computer died. I thought it had bitten the dust. I got my new MacWorld though and lo and behold, a topic on a mac that wouldn't start. One PMU reset later and I'm back in business!

Good to be back!

MonsoonStorm
Welcome back. Glad to hear you go the Mac working again. Every little bit helps for a good project & cause.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 25, 2004, 12:51 AM

Anyone looks at the Predictor stats today?

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2004, 01:45 AM

We are #6 in recent average credit and #8 overall out of 513 teams. #5 will soon be reachable. I also happened to notice that drweaser and mikkyo were #7 & #9 out of more then 7100 registered participants. My credit downturn has finally reversed itself, but I am still only #29 in recent average credit.

That will change tomorrow for the better.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 26, 2004, 04:14 PM

WOW!
Go drweaser! Go drweaser!

drweaser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 06:39 PM

Well, we finally got the library built and online. I beleive I now have 30 eMacs and about 8 other machines running. Hopefully the iBooks will start being used even if they only pump out a unit or 2 a day.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by drweaser:
Well, we finally got the library built and online. I beleive I now have 30 eMacs and about 8 other machines running. Hopefully the iBooks will start being used even if they only pump out a unit or 2 a day.
Running steady, my iBook 600 G3 is good for 30-40 points a day easy. It takes about 2-3 weeks for RAC to get there, but it can.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 29, 2004, 12:02 AM

Yay! Shaktai is crunching away again.

Anyone know how to manually reset the server connection delay in boinc?
I had a dsl outage for part of the day and now the clients are waiting a day to communicate.
I don't want to ditch the work they have done, just trigger a connection attempt.
I figure the connection delay is in one of these xml files here somewhere.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 29, 2004, 10:52 PM

Anyone know how to manually reset the server connection delay in boinc?
Change min_rpc_time tag in client_state.xml to 0.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2004, 02:30 AM

Change min_rpc_time tag in client_state.xml to 0.
Thanks! I was looking for that too. I still haven't hit my maximum for recent average credit. Should be able to get it up around 1400 or so eventually.

drweaser has really cranked it up. He has some major power crunching there.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 30, 2004, 02:54 AM

If the min_rpc_time is in seconds, I'd suggest a number of 180-300 (3-5 minutes) rather than zero. Otherwise you are DOS'ing their server whenever it has problems.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 30, 2004, 03:37 AM

I found it by looking at the source.
0 means connect immediately.
Once you either connect or fail the timeout gets reset.
So no worry there.
It's not like we are permanently setting the timeout to 0, just when you know you are able to connect right now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules