Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Einstein@Home update

Einstein@Home update
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 02:56 AM

Einstein has started sending out more alpha invites in preperation for final testing before going public.

Currently Team MacNN is #5 in total credit out of 113 teams and just dropped to #6 in RAC. However we aren't to far behind the three ahead of us in production, and with just a small increase could shoot for #3 In the past 48 hours, three new members have been added to the MacNN team via invites, but the validator seems to be acting up, so they don't have any credit posted yet. For that matter, I only have 96 posted for the past 36 hours, instead of my usual 1500+ A total of 802 users have earned at least one credit. More are joining every day via the invites.

I think the plan is to send invites to everyone who was still on the list for testing. Once they get a few more glitches (like the validator) fixed, then they will open it up to the public.

BTW: Einstein requires BOINC 4.15 if you are also running CPDN at the same time. Otherwise the credit earned gets messed up. However, if you aren't running CPDN you can successfully run mikkyo's optimized compiles for the Mac.

Work units are longer then SETI by 2-3 times. My Athlon 2800 takes just under 6 hours. My P4 3400 can do two units in about 11.7 hours with HT. My iBook 600 takes about 32-34 hours. My iMac G5 1.6 can do a single unit in a little less time then the P4 3.4 takes to do 2. This project seems to like Mac's and really likes the Athlon XP's. It is favorable to shorter CPU pipelines, then longer ones, so I suspect that Mac G4's will also do well. Haven't compared any Linux boxes. For the duration of testing, the work unit deadlines are only 7 days. The project team has indicated those deadlines will be longer for the public release (12-14 days?).

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 12:36 AM

Just thought I would share some of the times that I am seeing on Einstein. All machines are "off the shelf" with no special tweaks. The Athlon XP"s rule. This project is very CPU intensive, and some users do report their CPU's running hotter then with other BOINC projects. Shorter CPU pipelines seem to provide better performance, hence the Athlon 2800 advantage over the AMD 64 3200.

All times are an average of at least 4 different work units per machine.

iBook 600mhz G3 - (from memory) 31-32 hours
iMac G5 1.6 ghz 10.98 hours
Athlon 2400 (e-machines) 6.18 hours
Athlon 2800 (e-machines) 5.88 hours
Pentium 4 3.0ghz w/HT (Sony) 12.90 hours for two work units
AMD 64 3200 (Hewlett Packard) 6.11 hours
Pentium 4 3.4 ghz w/HT (Gateway) 11.17 hours for two work units

EDIT: The project is now over 1000 users with 866 having returned units for credit. It would be more then that, but the new validator is running slow, so many newer members have not yet gotten credit.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Jan 21, 2005 at 01:23 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules