Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > SETI: Team MacNN outcrunching Team MacAddict

SETI: Team MacNN outcrunching Team MacAddict
Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:34 PM

As of today, Team MacNN SETI for BOINC is outcrunching Team MacAddict SETI for BOINC on Recent Average Credit. Team MacAddict still has the lead in total credit but we are inching up on them. It'll will be a while before we actually pass them in total credit.

Still, that is a nice little production boost against our long standing (but friendly) Mac Nemisis.

About time we had a little friendly competition. Looks like there are about 10 or 11 teams that we could pass in SETI with our current production.

If you've got OS 10.3.x or better, and are still running SETI Classic, now would be a good time to make the switch. There is a very user friendly Mac GUI available.

mikkyo
Senior User
May 18, 2005, 12:01 AM

What Shaktai is really trying to say is that he is hoping all those crunching Predictor and Einstein will be easily encouraged to move over to Seti so he doesn't get run over as quickly.

Of course no one is going to fall for the old "hey Seti is cool now" trick just so Shaktai can stay in the team top 5 especially since we are finally in a position to push for the top in Predictor.

Really, now is the best time for everyone to work on Predictor and play as a team to push for the top spots.
I would highly suggest attaching to Predictor, especially for those running or about to run any Boinc projects.
Once we take over Predictor, the whole team could easily switch to Seti with just a click on a web page and make a mark there as well.
Also, Predictor is the only Team MacNN stat supported Boinc project, so it is easy to track our massive progress, and watch Shaktai's plummet from the peak

Even those that are swayed to Seti will end up help us on Predictor (as long as they attach) the next time the Seti server goes down, or there is a power outage, or work runs out - which is pretty much a given for that project.

Let's unite and conquer one universe at a time, after all, with Boinc, Seti can be your backup project while we dominate in Predictor, and after that, click, and we are passing several teams in days in Seti.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 18, 2005, 12:34 AM

Shucks!!! Foiled again. Darn mikkyo, you spoiled my plan.

Sebastian
Forum Regular
May 22, 2005, 11:24 AM

I've been holding out on switching to BOINC as i wanted to hit the 5000 mark in seti, which i did yesterday. i'm leaving for a trip today for a week, but when i get back, i'll tear into BOINC. Obviously there's some energy in here around predictor - other than predictor, seti - what are my options to run with on BOINC? Convince me 8-)

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastian
I've been holding out on switching to BOINC as i wanted to hit the 5000 mark in seti, which i did yesterday. i'm leaving for a trip today for a week, but when i get back, i'll tear into BOINC. Obviously there's some energy in here around predictor - other than predictor, seti - what are my options to run with on BOINC? Convince me 8-)
The other options for BOINC are Einstein@Home (trying to prove Einstein's theory of relativitye and Gravity Waves). Very Popular with a lot of SETI participants. Climate Prediction is also good. Takes a long time to crunch work units but grants credits in "steps" as you crunch.

There will be other projects as time goes on. The good thing is that you can easily run multiple projects and the software takes care of the managing the time and resources. Most participants will have a "favorite" that gets most of their effort, but will give a "small share" of time to at least one other project as a backup in case their preferred project goes down for a time. That way their computers will "automatically" stay busy until their preferred project comes back up. -- An example is that yesterday the servers went down on Predictor so a lot of folks are crunching more for their backup projects. Looks like Einstien is going to get a big short term boost, but so may SETI or Climate Predition.

SETI - 14 day deadline for work units. (medium work units)
Climate Predict - 1 year deadline (very long work units)
Predictor - 7 day deadline (short work units)
Einstein - 7 day deadline. (long work units)

BOINC does require OS 10.3.x or higher for Macs though. It's strenth is its flexibility.

Sebastian
Forum Regular
May 28, 2005, 06:52 PM

okdok. predictor it is. 90% predictor, 10% SETI as backup.

This is my first go around with the BOINC software. Does it require a manual flush of completed work? I can't seem to find a way to get it to auto update every x hours/days/etc...

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastian
okdok. predictor it is. 90% predictor, 10% SETI as backup.

This is my first go around with the BOINC software. Does it require a manual flush of completed work? I can't seem to find a way to get it to auto update every x hours/days/etc...
As work completes, the results are uploaded, but they won't record until the update. It will update when it next connects to download more work. This is automatic if you have a connection and when your queue drops to a certain level. How often that is will depend on the size of your work cache which is controlled through the website settings. If you have broadband, I would recommend .5 to 1 day setting. It is the setting under General Preferences labeled "Connect to network about every: XX days" Since you are running 2 projects, and predictor has a 7 day deadline, I would recommend a cache of no more then 3.5 days. More often is better if you can do it. That preference will apply to all projects however, and is controlled by the project that has the most recent setting.

90-10 is a good combination. If either project goes down, the other project will get all of the time. You can connect up to 5 projects. If you are running the GUI you can also use the Update button to force a manual update. With CLI you use the -update_prefs <URL> comand where the URL is the project you want to update.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2005, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
About time we had a little friendly competition. Looks like there are about 10 or 11 teams that we could pass in SETI with our current production.

If you've got OS 10.3.x or better, and are still running SETI Classic, now would be a good time to make the switch. There is a very user friendly Mac GUI available.
And if your running a G3,G4 or G5 you can download the special compiles from:-

http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

and really fly along.

Knightrider.

(btw - had to stop cpdn as the failure rate on the very long wu's was too high - 3/5)

K.
( Last edited by reader50; May 29, 2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags)

Forum Links
Forum Rules