Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Einstein- Mac beta testers wanted.

Einstein- Mac beta testers wanted.
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 03:26 PM

See this Thread for the details. Einstein is beta testing a new app and would like some help. Apparently they will be testing with all platforms, but "get this" they are starting with the Mac Users.

Click the link above if you are a glutton for beta punishment like me. All the instructions and links are in that thread, and all problems should be reported in that thread.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2005, 09:04 PM

Okay, after the first few hours, it has been playing well with other projects including predictor. The graphics even work. Bruce Allen posted the following as well:

Fairly soon we ought to have an Altivec-enabled version available for testing. That will be quite a lot faster.

Bruce
Just for the record, the current Beta App is not the planned Altivec enabled app. That will come later when they are certain the source code is stable. The sooner we help get stable source code, the sooner we will see an altivec enabled app and shorter crunch times.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Jun 20, 2005 at 02:00 AM. )

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 06:11 AM

The alti-vec enabled unit is now available for testing. Remember this is a beta test. Report any problems in the thread linked above. Looks to be significantly faster. Not quite twice as fast on my G5 iMac.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
The alti-vec enabled unit is now available for testing. Remember this is a beta test. Report any problems in the thread linked above. Looks to be significantly faster. Not quite twice as fast on my G5 iMac.
I assume that's the one that was downloaded to me a few minutes ago. When I also attached SETI, it downloaded the 4.02 SETI client. Are you using the optimized SETI client with BOINC 4.43, or ?? If you are using it, how do you get it to work under BOINC Manager?

beadman

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 11:13 PM

Hey beadman.

If you downloaded the einstein_0.02_powerpc-apple-darwin, you got the altivec enabled version. For all those who are crunching Einstein as a backup to Predictor while it is acting up, check it out. It is twice as fast as the regular Einstein Client. So far, it seems to be stable. More testers are needed. Besides, you don't want me to get too far ahead of you all, and it is a great match to mikkyo's optimized clients.

To use the optimized SETI client with 4.43, go to Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/BOINC Data/Projects/setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/ Drop the client in that folder along with the app_info.xml --Be aware though, that any units in cache, will be lost. Run your cache dry (click no more work button on the Projects tab with SETI highlighte) then upgrade to avoid losing work. The new app will download new work as soon as you click allow more work.

MacStef
Jun 23, 2005, 05:49 PM

I was testing for a few days. Downloaded 5 WUs only got credit for 2, the other 3 were no good. All it said was computation error. I have deleted Einstein because it was a waste of 30 hour computing time. It does run about twice as fast as the old version, but with all the errors it is actually slower because you dont get credit for the errored WUs.

So now I am not even running Einstein becuase it is a slow pian in the arse!

Thanks but NO thanks. Let me know when you have something that works a little better then 40% of the time and I will be happy to beta test some more.

TTFN
MacStef

reader50
Administrator
Jun 24, 2005, 02:18 PM

MacStef, is your system overclocked or running in a high-temp environment? The reason I'm asking is because of something we learned on Folding@home when they added serious altivec. Heavy altivec clients run the CPU at a high temperature, even higher than normal CPU benchmarking tools.

After Folding@home went to serious altivec, the client became much more sensitive to overclocking errors.

MacStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 03:20 PM

It is either nor. temp is same. Even the air blowing out of the box is not that hot. I use my Apple to edit video, audio and graphic work. All of which use both processors for rendering. Never had any problems before.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MacStef
Thanks but NO thanks. Let me know when you have something that works a little better then 40% of the time and I will be happy to beta test some more.

TTFN
MacStef
MacStef, I am surprised you had that many problems. I had some issues initially, because I installed the Einstein app wrong. After that, I have had any problems except for random poor switching between projects. (holding my breath) Since I moved that box back to the simple GUI and away from BOINC Manager, I haven't yet seen that problem.

Beta Testing is not for everyone. It is BETA meaning it is still in development stage and bugs are to be expected. Thanks for trying. Testing requires time, patience, the willingness to accept errors, and being willing to explain and relay those errors in detail so that the developers can quash the bugs.

I have had no client errors. The project switching issue is something they are working on, though the beta seems better then the orginal. All the BOINC projects have some instabilities, but Predictor overall has been good, Climate Prediction is mostly stable (but work units that take weeks) and SETI has an optimized app, but they have frequent server issues.

ScottL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 10:21 PM

The Beta has been working great for me. I have noticed that it doesn't play as nice with other programs while it is running as the non-beta. (but it is just a minor difference.)

My REAL problem is that macgeek4u is way out producing me after the beta. (He must have more macs than me.) My three macs running the beta are twice as fast as before, but unfortunately the rest of my farm is PC's

MacStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2005, 12:46 AM

I have trashed all my Boinc, Seti and Einstein and have reinstalled everything. As soon as these WUs are complete I will try again. I am not worried anout the screensaver my monitor goes black after 3 minutes anyway. But I do want the fast crunch times. I am usually the one who is helping other with problems on their Macs..Been using since '86, and editing video on Macs since they did video. But this commandline crap is just not for me. I never learned "dos" for a reason. And I don't want to learn it now!!!....lol

For it's GUI or Die!

I don't mind Beta testing. But the non GUI stuff is for others, not this dude. I can run Graphics programs and video programs into the dirt. But they have GUIs. I can't touch commandline crap. I know just enough about it to really screw something up.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:09 AM

A new Einstein Beta App has been released for OS-X. Available here.

As before this has been Altivec-enhanced. It is twice as fast as the generic code. This version hopefully addresses the "poor" project sharing issue with other projects. Check it out. My iMac 1600 is second only to my Pentium D 840 (dual core 3.2 ghz for 6.4 ghz total). It outcrunches my Athlon 64 3200's and my Pentium 4 3.4 ghz with HT. I can only imagine what it would do on a nice dual Power Mac. My average time on my iMac G5 is 5.6 hours per work unit. This app runs sweet on G4 and G5's and it is the only vectorized version available. Neither Windows or Linux have the same advantage.

MacStef
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 12:56 AM

Is this Beta for Boinc 4.44 or should we continue to test with the Boinc 4.43? I know there was an issue with the Boinc 4.44.

Thanks!
MacStef

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 24, 2005, 03:38 PM

It says on the download page what the requirements are, 4.43 or higher.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2005, 02:18 PM

Guys, i didn't want to start a new thread about this, so I'm posting this here. Not intended as a thread hijack.

I've just attached to Einstein, but I keep getting this error message from my BIONIC client:

7/30/2005 2:15:00 AM|Einstein@Home|Message from server: No work sent
7/30/2005 2:15:00 AM|Einstein@Home|Message from server: (reached daily quota of 1 results)
7/30/2005 2:15:00 AM|Einstein@Home|No work from project
7/30/2005 2:15:00 AM|Einstein@Home|Deferring communication with project for 6 hours, 40 minutes, and 34 seconds

Any idea what the problem could be?

My box is an AMD1700+, BIONIC client v 4.43

Thanks in advance.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by buggsuperstar
7/30/2005 2:15:00 AM|Einstein@Home|Message from server: (reached daily quota of 1 results)
Are you running multiple projects on that box? For some reason boinc has limited you to a quota of 1 for downloads. This may be because of other project demands or because you failed to return some work units by the deadline (7 days). When you complete your next work unit and return it in time, then the quota will be increased to 2 and so on. It won't let you donwload more work then you can complete within the 7 day deadline. This is one of he features of the latest BOINC versions. If running multiple projects, you can try increasing the share of time given to BOINC.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
Are you running multiple projects on that box? For some reason boinc has limited you to a quota of 1 for downloads. This may be because of other project demands or because you failed to return some work units by the deadline (7 days). When you complete your next work unit and return it in time, then the quota will be increased to 2 and so on. It won't let you donwload more work then you can complete within the 7 day deadline. This is one of he features of the latest BOINC versions. If running multiple projects, you can try increasing the share of time given to BOINC.
Ok, I managed to download a couple of WUs over the weekend and crunched them. 10 hours each.

But the completed units show up as "pending credit" on the Einstein site. How long does it typically take for them to grant the credit for completed units?

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 08:06 PM

First, write down the WU number. Click on the WU number and it will show the three other computers the WU has been sent to. Then, click on each of the others in turn; as their computer shows up, click on their results link, then find the WU number you wrote down and see how many WU they have to process before they get around to yours. I've had some WU download, process, upload, and receive credit all in less than 10 hours; I've also had some that had to wait well over a week until at least two other computers successfully processed.

Bottom line: it depends...

beadman

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by beadman
First, write down the WU number. Click on the WU number and it will show the three other computers the WU has been sent to. Then, click on each of the others in turn; as their computer shows up, click on their results link, then find the WU number you wrote down and see how many WU they have to process before they get around to yours. I've had some WU download, process, upload, and receive credit all in less than 10 hours; I've also had some that had to wait well over a week until at least two other computers successfully processed.

Bottom line: it depends...

beadman
ok, after 2 days, I was granted credit for my first 2 work units.

Thanks for all the patient explanations beadman and Shaktai.

Predictor seems to be borked today, my box has run out of work units to crunch so I'm working on Einstein for now till Predictor gets back on its feet.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 5, 2005, 12:32 PM

Our rate is looking good for Einstein and our gradual climb up the ranks is off to a good start.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikkyo
Our rate is looking good for Einstein and our gradual climb up the ranks is off to a good start.
Alright mikkyo. Be honest. You and macgeek4u just want to knock me out of the #1 spot. Guess I'll have to fight another hopeless battle to hold you off as long as I can.

Amazing how good these hopeless battles are for the team, even though I always lose.

mikkyo
Senior User
Aug 6, 2005, 02:16 PM

Actually, we just want to see the Team succeed in many projects, thus further displaying for all to see that macs rule.

Giving up the #1 spot isn't so bad, after all, I have done it many times.
If you can find the funds to add 10 macminis you could stay at #1 for a little while longer.

Anyway, it is Cobra you have to worry about, if he upgrades his clients and adds the altivec worker, we all go down. Wouldn't that be nice

I think if everyone changed their priorities from Predictor to Einstein, we would be pushing 50K a day, which would get us up into the top 10 pretty fast.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mikkyo
If you can find the funds to add 10 macminis you could stay at #1 for a little while longer.
Well, since I don't have the money, I might as well dream big. Make that 10 PowerMac dual 2.7's.

Anyway, it is Cobra you have to worry about, if he upgrades his clients and adds the altivec worker, we all go down. Wouldn't that be nice
Now aint that the truth.

I think if everyone changed their priorities from Predictor to Einstein, we would be pushing 50K a day, which would get us up into the top 10 pretty fast.
All we need to do on Predictor is keep enough power to keep production a little ahead of the other teams. We could afford to move a little power. Without giving up to much.

Warning about the beta Einstein client is that it doesn't play nice with Seti. (part of the problem is on the SETI side) Seems to play okay with Predictor. The beta Altivec client provides about a 2x performance boost over the current stock client. My iMac G5 1600 is faster then my AMD 64 3200.

Besides, I gripe a little in fun, but I never mind losing #1 as long as the team does well. If I was worried about that really, I would never have pulled any power off of Einsten. The plan now is to put everything but my iBook 600 into Einstein. (iBook stays on Predictor). Once we get a little lead, then I'll probably settle into an 80/20 or 90/10 Einstein/Predictor mode.

The BOINC project I'm waiting for is Planet Quest, but don't think we'll see that before next year.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 11:40 PM

Well, thanks to all the Einstein Beta testers, the Mac OS-X Einstein beta app is now the standard app, version 4.82. For those with G4 or G5 computers who were not part of the beta test, this app is about twice as fast as the previous standard app. Enjoy.

NOTE: There is a problem with some projects app library files, that may prevent them from running well with the new Einstein app. These should be fixed soon as the other projects bring their libs up to date. Predictor appears to run fine.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2005, 06:04 PM

Been watching it closely for a while now, and if you have a G4 or G5 processor, Einstein is definitely the project for Mac Users. With the new Altivec enabled app, Macs are the "fast" platform on Einstein. Just take a look at the "Top 20 Crunchers" . Dual processor PowerMacs are going head to head with quad or more processors from other platforms.

Forum Links
Forum Rules