Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > About Rosetta@home

About Rosetta@home (Page 2)
Snake_doctor
Jan 25, 2006, 02:23 AM

The project team has adjusted the R@H WUs so that they CAN run longer before timing out on Max time failures. They have also reduced the number of cycles per WU to reduce the size of each WU for better bandwidth. Now all but the longest WU should complete successfully. Be aware that these adjustments will aggravate the notorious "1%" WU hang problem, so watch your system queue for hung up work.

Testing has shown that the hung WUs do not have to be aborted. If you simply stop BOINC and restart it, a new random seed will be provided to the application for the WU to use and it should process ok after that. The project would like everyone to report ALL failed WUs in the appropriate thread on the Number Crushers forum at R@H.

Regards
Phil
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

Snake_doctor
Jan 25, 2006, 01:49 PM

Someone from the team (Shaktai comes to mind) Should go to the new team thread in the R@H cafe and post an add for Team MacNN.

You can include a team logo, description of the team, a team stats image, create a team discussion thread in the cafe and link it to the add, and put links to the team site back here and the team info page at R@H (where the join button is) as a recruitment drive. As long as you do not attack other teams in the post the mods there are encouraging team leaders to participate.

The Mods plan on linking folks to these team postings from the other boards so people can find them. There is a post in the thread here that explains the rules. Some of the other teams are already posted there.

Regards
Phil
We must seek intelligent life on other planets as it is increasingly apparent we will not find any on our own.

Link: http://www.boincsynergy.com/images/stats/comb-2033.jpg

Linc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2006, 04:36 PM

Out of curiosity, have you heard of The Clangers?

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Snake_doctor
Someone from the team (Shaktai comes to mind) Should go to the new team thread in the R@H cafe and post an add for Team MacNN.

Regards
Phil
Okay, it took me a while, but I have posted something.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2006, 01:13 PM

Update for the known issues on rosetta.

The checkpoints on new rosetta@home units are now occur every 2%. Older units exists where the checkpoints are far apart but they will soon be cycled out.

The deadlines have changed to 1 week from 1 month.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Linc
Out of curiosity, have you heard of The Clangers?
Hmmm! Looks like they are getting close. Now that I'm getting caught up on a few things, maybe I can crank up production a little bit for a short while and make them work for it.

Besides, OneMacGuy is getting aweful close.

Linc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shaktai
Hmmm! Looks like they are getting close. Now that I'm getting caught up on a few things, maybe I can crank up production a little bit for a short while and make them work for it.

Besides, OneMacGuy is getting aweful close.
Timing is pretty good! I am in the process of adding a bit more power to the pool.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Linc
Timing is pretty good! I am in the process of adding a bit more power to the pool.
You'll need it.

Linc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 10:42 PM

I'm noticing that!

Bibby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:58 AM

My God, they've disappeared off radar!

Keep running!

Andrew F
Feb 16, 2006, 07:41 PM

Anyone else trying out the Rosetta alpha project, Ralph@home? http://ralph.bakerlab.org

Just curious, because I attached yesterday, and my WU is still at 1.000%

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew F
Anyone else trying out the Rosetta alpha project, Ralph@home? http://ralph.bakerlab.org

Just curious, because I attached yesterday, and my WU is still at 1.000%
Well I signed up late last night, but haven't gotten any work. Keeps saying no work available. Of course it is strictly a beta test project, and they queue did run dry of work for all machines readily.

If you're still at 1% after 10 hours I would try a restart, and be sure to report it in the Ralph@home forums.

For the uninformed, Ralph@home is not a new production project. It is strictly beta testing to support Rosetta. Once a new project or type of work unit is refined, then it will go to Rosetta for real distribution.

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2006, 12:46 PM

Rosetta is having some issues with granting credit for work. If you see a problem please report it to
http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/fo...ad.php?id=1133

I had a wu not get issued the credit due and I checked some others on the team and they also did not get issued credit properly.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 12:17 PM

Better stick to units that make points, Shaktai. ETA to intercept is 57 days! I just moved up to number 58 on the top producers list for Rosetta, wow.....

As a team though! We have come up in the world with our new members. We are number 21 in overall points but umber 14 in production. We could move up easily of we could recruit some people to leave some of the other projects and move into Rosetta.
( Last edited by OneMacGuy; Feb 22, 2006 at 02:31 PM. )
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

Forum Links
Forum Rules