Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > User of the Day - Einstein@Home

User of the Day - Einstein@Home
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 12:02 AM

Wow! I was user of the day today on Einstein@home. Of course my fleeting fame will expire before long, since the day is close to over. Then again, some folks only get 15 minutes of fame, I got an entire 24 hours....or was that infamy?
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/

Oh, and before some quips something about there not being any users, there are 761 registered beta testers, which is more then days the project has been running, so at least I wasn't last.
( Last edited by Shaktai; Dec 17, 2004 at 12:09 AM. )

fillmeup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2004, 02:48 AM

Nice picture Shaktai!
Looked like you added a Photoshop effect?
Didn't know that info about you either. Guess I had better watch my cell phone usage!

Yes, I did see you as User of the Day. Been checking when they are finally going to open up for more testers. They did mention the end of the year which is quickly approaching. Maybe they'll open up just about the time that Predictor starts back up (fingers crossed).

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2004, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by fillmeup:
Nice picture Shaktai!
Looked like you added a Photoshop effect?
Didn't know that info about you either. Guess I had better watch my cell phone usage!

Yes, I did see you as User of the Day. Been checking when they are finally going to open up for more testers. They did mention the end of the year which is quickly approaching. Maybe they'll open up just about the time that Predictor starts back up (fingers crossed).
They are hoping to go public Early January, but it seems they might begin to ramp up the testing team some more first. So far it has been pretty stable. The Einstein team is being pretty conservative with their progress, and taking their time tweaking and refining things, or as they say "learning". Seems they don't want to jump the gun, and get into the same problems some other boinc projects have. They have also been working hard to optimize their clients for the different platforms. Only real glitch I have seen with the Mac workers is that sometimes if you interrupt a work unit, it will error on restart. Once running though it is quite stable, and speed wise seems comparable to the windows and Linux units.

Anyone wanting to get in on the next phase of testing (if they have one before going public) should go to http://www.physics2005.org/events/ei...ome/index.html and sign up to be notified. If like phase one and two, it will be by invite only. I think they might use a few more Mac testers. Otherwise expect it to go public in January sometime.

Oh, and yea, that was a photo shop effect... It keeps me from looking as bald as I really am.

fillmeup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 09:10 AM

Shaktai does it again!

Einstein main page

Einstein Poster boy of January 26, 2005.

Nice job

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by fillmeup:
Shaktai does it again!

Einstein main page

Einstein Poster boy of January 26, 2005.

Nice job
Got to get more folks to fill out their profiles.

They have doubled the number of active users, and expect to send out another 10,000 or so invites here soon. (the rest of the list of folks who signed up as testers) If the backend holds up, and there are no major problems, then they will open to the public.

jbcool
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Got to get more folks to fill out their profiles.

They have doubled the number of active users, and expect to send out another 10,000 or so invites here soon. (the rest of the list of folks who signed up as testers) If the backend holds up, and there are no major problems, then they will open to the public.
You just want to make it hard for me to catch up with you.
You sign onto projects now that I can't get into and run up your numbers. I think you are just trying to make me go out and get a job with AMD so I can keep up with you.

Nice numbers, nice list of computers, nice move kicking it into overdrive while I was sleeping.

Lets see I could buy a mini a week, that would be, not three mini's a week....
Tag ur it.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by jbcool:
You just want to make it hard for me to catch up with you.
You sign onto projects now that I can't get into and run up your numbers. I think you are just trying to make me go out and get a job with AMD so I can keep up with you.

Nice numbers, nice list of computers, nice move kicking it into overdrive while I was sleeping.

Lets see I could buy a mini a week, that would be, not three mini's a week....
Durn, you figured me out. Well, at the end of February when I relocate, you'll have a chance to get a little closer while my farm is down. Einstein ought to be public by then. How long the farm is down, will depend on how long it takes to get the DSL line in. Will be at minimum 3 days, but could be a little longer.

Fast Athlon XP's are the sweet box for Einstein.

jbcool
Senior User
Jan 27, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
Durn, you figured me out. Well, at the end of February when I relocate, you'll have a chance to get a little closer while my farm is down. Einstein ought to be public by then. How long the farm is down, will depend on how long it takes to get the DSL line in. Will be at minimum 3 days, but could be a little longer.

Fast Athlon XP's are the sweet box for Einstein.
You won't need to worry about taking the time off. I will probably decide to go out and get a haircut an real job next month somewhere in the US and I will be down again, while I relocate. Which will put me way back in the pack again. I probably won't do any Einstein anyway, I am more of medical type of guy.
Tag ur it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules