Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > upgrading mac mini hard drive - heat issues?

upgrading mac mini hard drive - heat issues?
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2008, 06:19 PM

I am thinking about replacing the 80GB hard drive in my mac mini with a 320GB version, but I have two questions:

1) can/should I go for a 3.0Gb/s SATA interface? the stock HD only has 1.5Gb/s and I don't know if getting a 3.0Gb/s would cause incompatibility.

2) will getting a 7200RPM drive cause heating issues? I read somewhere that due to the mini's design, choosing a 7200RPM drive would cause heat issues and the preferred choice would be 5400RPM.

I have the 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo version.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; Nov 16, 2008 at 06:31 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2008, 07:30 PM

1) Some drives have issues with 1.5Gb/s controllers when they're set for 3Gb/s, but they have jumpers you can move to work with 1.5Gb/s controllers.
2) No, the power consumption doesn't differ much (tenths of a watt).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 AM

Yep, the 7200 rpm drive won't be a problem in your mini. You'll like it.

Just remember that depending on the amount of data you put on a drive, the drive with the faster spindle speed might not be the actually faster drive. Since you're coming from an 80 GB HDD I guess you're not expecting to put more than 250 GB on it, but if you are, you might want to reconsider. A 320 GB 7200 rpm drive filled up to ~250 GB will be slower than a 500 GB drive at 5400 rpm. Just make sure you think about how much plan on putting on that drive before you buy it.

320 GB 7200 rpm HDD for $90 at Newegg. They also have one for $80 after rebates.
500 GB 5400 rpm HDD for $120 at Newegg.

(there's more, these are just the least expensive)

Forum Links
Forum Rules