Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac 1Ghz vs 1.25Ghz

eMac 1Ghz vs 1.25Ghz
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hi,
I want to upgrade from my iMac DV400 and the eMac looks like an excellent choice for me. I do some video editing so I'm needing a bit more speed - HD and RAM is not an issue in my iMac since I have added more.

I'm considering a cheap (secondhand) 1GHz model vs a brand new 1.25GHz one. How much difference do you think there will be in performance?
They (will) have the same amount of RAM (768MB) and HD (80GB).

Obviously buying new I get a warranty and brand new machine but it's the performance differences I'm concerned about.

TIA

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2004, 09:14 AM

If you're all about performance and don't care about the warranty, buy the cheaper eMac and overclock it to 1.33GHz. Here's how...

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

Chris

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2004, 11:12 AM

Apple has refurbs for a great deal right now. If I'm not mistaken you can use the RAM out of your iMac. I don't think you would be able to with the just released version.

If I were you, I would get the newly updated version if you can handle the cost. If cost is a factor go for the refurb. I wouldn't buy one used from someone. You will probably end up paying about the same price as you would a refurb.

Apple has an eMac 1GHz/256MB/80GB/SuperDrive for $799 in the Special Deals section on their site. That would save you $200 instead of getting the 1.25GHz model. The price of RAM from crucial.com has the 1GHz RAM being more expensive though.

As far a performance I can't answer that question. Hopefully someone who has owned/used both can help out with that one. Good luck and let us know what choice you make.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
If you're all about performance and don't care about the warranty, buy the cheaper eMac and overclock it to 1.33GHz. Here's how...

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

Chris
The 1.25GHz eMac would be faster than an overclocked 1.33 because the new lineup has twice the L2 cache.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The cheap 1Ghz machine was going for �400 vs �699 for a new one. However - it has sold.
Sadly we don't get as many good refurb deals in the UK.

Fortunately I can afford the new one, but I always like a bargain.
I had read Leo Bodnars page thouroughly and before the recent upgrade was looking out for one to overclock, but I think I should get the newest one now.

Anyone know if the monitor spanning hack works on the 1.25GHz models?

Forum Links
Forum Rules