Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Are all 1GB DDR333 modules the same?

Are all 1GB DDR333 modules the same?
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 10:54 AM

I ordered and just received one of these 1GB DDR333 modules for my new 1.25GHz eMac but it fails to be recognised - it is cheaper than 2x512MB modules and I get to keep my original 256MB.

I know the specs on Apple's website say the eMac only supports up to 1GB in 2x512MB modules, but I have read reports on xlryourmac and elsewhere that say 1GB modules work.

Is there something which I might have overlooked before I return it DOA.

TIA

Will

swichd
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Will C:
I ordered and just received one of these 1GB DDR333 modules for my new 1.25GHz eMac but it fails to be recognised - it is cheaper than 2x512MB modules and I get to keep my original 256MB.

I know the specs on Apple's website say the eMac only supports up to 1GB in 2x512MB modules, but I have read reports on xlryourmac and elsewhere that say 1GB modules work.

Is there something which I might have overlooked before I return it DOA.

TIA

Will
Did you try in in another PC/Mac to see if it is DOA?

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I have no ther PCs/Macs to try it in.

Krusty
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 09:41 PM

No .. all memory 1gb DDR333 modules are not the same. I (and a few others I've seen) bought the ones from transintl.com and they work fine (transintl sells them specifically for the eMac).

Apple's developer notes on the eMac show the different specific configurations of memory banks/devices/etc. that the eMac can accept. It shows a maximum of 512mb but reading the text of the specs, it appears that the absolute configuration limits would allow for a 8m x 16 x 8 config to make a 1gb dimm. I'm guessing that this is what transintl.com has done for its eMac ram. Either way ... unless you know the specific config of the chip you are ordering, you have no way of knowing that the chip conforms to Apple's specs (unless the reseller specifically states that their ram meets the config specs of the eMac)

Good luck

eMac 1.25ghz/1.5gb/160mb/SuperDrive/Bluetooth

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 03:21 AM

Thanks Krusty - a bit of reading and trying to work out if mine is compatible.

Will

Forum Links
Forum Rules