Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey

[PREVIEW] 2004: An Icon Odyssey (Page 3)
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 01:23 AM

Now That's What I'm Talking About People !!!
The point is not whether 2001 is great movie or not, NOT, but whether the theme has been overdone or not. I think it has been overdone. I am proposing that there are other very cool Sci-Fi Space flicks that haven't been touched upon. Black Hole, that movie was f**cking bitchen. How about Saturn 5 with Sean Connery and that very cool robot that goes berserk ? It just seems to me that when the topic of Space comes up 2001 is mentioned. Not because it was a great movie, but because it is easy to remember and thus bring up. If a little more thought went into it then all these other unique, cool movies would be listed. Like I said, almost everybody knows the of Microsoft, that doesn't mean that it is good. I think we all know the answer to that question. At least I hope we all do.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 09:09 AM

Dark Star

guilty pleasures abound!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by TheZee:
Now That's What I'm Talking About People !!!
The point is not whether 2001 is great movie or not, NOT, but whether the theme has been overdone or not. I think it has been overdone. I am proposing that there are other very cool Sci-Fi Space flicks that haven't been touched upon. Black Hole, that movie was f**cking bitchen. How about Saturn 5 with Sean Connery and that very cool robot that goes berserk ? It just seems to me that when the topic of Space comes up 2001 is mentioned. Not because it was a great movie, but because it is easy to remember and thus bring up. If a little more thought went into it then all these other unique, cool movies would be listed. Like I said, almost everybody knows the of Microsoft, that doesn't mean that it is good. I think we all know the answer to that question. At least I hope we all do.
Peace,
I don't exactly know how it's been overdone mate, this is the first 2001 icon set I ever seen. Yeah I've seen the odd HAL eye pulse skin etc, but nothing else. I think your personal dislike of space 2001 is why you have a problem with the set, which is silly, the set is made for 2001 lovers, not sci fi lovers.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by cube3:
I don't exactly know how it's been overdone mate, this is the first 2001 icon set I ever seen. Yeah I've seen the odd HAL eye pulse skin etc, but nothing else. I think your personal dislike of space 2001 is why you have a problem with the set, which is silly, the set is made for 2001 lovers, not sci fi lovers.
agreed.

:-)

I'll try to get a couple more icons done this weekend. i really should get these released now, as it's been ages. and this thread is dragging on, (and getting a bit side tracked aswell! :-)

I'll show a new one or two this weekend aswell i think.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 11:25 AM

How about Saturn 5 with Sean Connery and that very cool robot that goes berserk ?
I think you may be thinking of "Saturn 3", which starred Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel (doing a passable Robert Fripp impression). The robot's name was "Hector".

You might have this film mixed up with "Outland" (a High Noon remake), which did indeed star Sean Connery.

"I'm here. I'm alive. I haven't died. I'm taking over."

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 04:19 PM

... How about Saturn 5 with Sean Connery and that very cool robot that goes berserk ? It just seems to me that when the topic of Space comes up 2001 is mentioned. Not because it was a great movie, but because it is easy to remember and thus bring up. ...
As Dave Brasgalla has already stated you must be thinking of Saturn 3 with Farrah Fawcett and Kirk Douglas. The one with Connery is Outland. Now I'd love to see an icon set out of Outland. "We're still scraping him off the walls."

What you don't seem to realise is that the reason 2001 is continually mentioned when the subject of space movies comes up is because it can be argued that it is the quintessential space movie. It is concerned with man's evolution from the point of view of the universe and our place in it. That and some highly accurate and believable space scenes.

Saturn 5 and Outland are both utter tosh. Saturn 5 is more concerned with showing Farrah Fawcett in skimpy outfits, which is the best bit about the film. The film itself is just another clich�d story of the type we have seen before. As for Outland this is essentially High Noon in space. The fact that it is in space is irrelevant and just an excuse to remake the same old story again and have characters explode when they remove their helmets.

And your main argument that 2001 has been done to death is just plain wrong. I also have to say that all the films you've mentioned so far are on the bottom end of the Sci-Fi barrel. For someone who likes to talk about quality Sci-Fi you've got to impress us with something better. No mention of Silent Running or Metropolis? Man, Metropolis would make a cracking icon set. Or how about Forbidden Planet, Colossus: The Forbin Project, THX 1138 (even I could do an icon for this. plain white ), A Clockwork Orange. As for modern sci-fi movies? Well, Dave made the definitive Matrix icon set and most other modern sci-fi movies suck. But that's not what this is all about. A mediocre film may still prove inspirational for a good icon set.

Simon (whose Shared folder icon sits in his Dock displaying Dave's "Docked at New York Pier" King Kong icon set )
( Last edited by Simon X; Sep 17, 2004 at 07:13 PM. )

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2004, 04:37 PM

"We're still scraping him off the walls."
a disconnected drive icon...

hahaha

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Simon X:
I also have to say that all the films you've mentioned so far are on the bottom end of the Sci-Fi barrel. For someone who likes to talk about quality Sci-Fi you've got to impress us with something better. No mention of Silent Running or Metropolis? Man, Metropolis would make a cracking icon set. Or how about Forbidden Planet, Colossus: The Forbin Project, THX 1138 (even I could do an icon for this. plain white ), A Clockwork Orange.
Salient points all, Simon. You've got a much more interesting list going.

I thought Silent Running was really cool when I was 10, but viewing it as an adult, it was a little too Flower Power in execution (even if it was appropriate to the message). Doug Trumbull's work and the robots are really the film's strong point.

Metropolis is amazing, as is Fritz Lang in general. How about The Shape Of Things To Come? With all this Sky Captain fever, the zeitgeist is certainly right...

Forbidden Planet is the undisputable precursor to Star Trek, and very nicely done, although the strange electronic music grates on me after a while (and I *like* strange electronic music). Interesting to see Leslie Neilsen back when he was considered the "hunky romantic lead".

THX-1138 is best thing Lucas ever did. I read a review of the new re-mastered version on CHUD, and they had all sorts of good things to say about it. I can't wait to pick that up...

About Colossus:The Forbin Project - shhhhhhhhhhh! (treats are already in store)

And what about The Day The Earth Stood Still? How do you get more classic than that?

As for modern sci-fi movies? Well, Dave made the definitive Matrix icon set and most other modern sci-fi movies suck.
Arguably, you are right, but the gems are there for those who want to dig for them. Mamoru Oshi's Avalon is one of my new favorites - just a beautiful film. Anyone else catch that one? I know that not everyone likes it, but I love Wim Wenders' Until The End Of The World - one of my all-time favorites. J. G. Ballard's Crash is actually a science fiction piece, just in a very subtle way.

Hmmm... morning coffee musings...

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2004, 08:14 AM

Dave, I thought they gave people from your part of the world a casiotone at birth

*plink**plunk*

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 04:10 PM

Dave,

I didn't want to get into starting a list of my favourite sci-fi fims and their place in cinema history. I would then likely move onto singing the praise of Sergio Leone, Jean-Pierre Melville, Powell and Pressburger, the films of Terry-Thomas and how great The Parallax View is just for starters. And were would we be then I ask you?

But know that you've mentioned them I have to concur. Fine films in the annals of sci-fi cinema. (except that is for Until the End of the World. I so wanted to like this film)

About Colossus:The Forbin Project - shhhhhhhhhhh! (treats are already in store)
Interesting. I so want to see this film again. Must be about 17 years since the last time I saw it. Not available on Region 2 and I can't find any of the Region 1 importers here in the UK showing it as available. Damn.

My order of THX my ease my pain, even though I have the VHS. Easily Lucus' best film for me and I can't wait to hear Walter Murch's soundscapes and Morricone's score in digital audio.

So now we have two icon sets to look forward too. 2001 and Colossus.

[cough]Alphaville[cough]

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 04:38 PM

Not available on Region 2 and I can't find any of the Region 1 importers here in the UK showing it as available. Damn.
Use MacTheRipper. Btw, Alphavilla is awesome.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Use MacTheRipper. Btw, Alphavilla is awesome.
The region encoding isn't the problem it's where to buy it without having to import it from the US. There are many UK based region one importers but none that I've checked are showing it.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 05:00 PM

The region encoding isn't the problem it's where to buy it without having to import it from the US. There are many UK based region one importers but none that I've checked are showing it.
That's because the (Colossus) DVD isn't out yet! The good news: it will be out in November. The bad news: full frame, no widescreen. Bleh.

I hope that since we will be missing essentially a third of the film, we'll get a break on the price...
( Last edited by Dave Brasgalla; Sep 19, 2004 at 05:06 PM. )

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 05:03 PM

[cough] La Jet�e [cough]

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 05:26 PM

Sorry guys for my slowness in getting this set done. I'm actually in the process of changing jobs, and i've had to do a lot of work on my portfolio, plus doing a lot of other design work for recruitment purposes.

iconing at the end of the day doesn't pay the bills.

regardless, i've uploaded another preview. This is a obviously a food tray (i can't remember if it has an 'official' name or not. so i've just called it "Dinner for one" for the time being.

hopefuly after this wednesday i can work fulltime on my icons again.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 19, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Zyote:
Sorry guys for my slowness in getting this set done. I'm actually in the process of changing jobs, and i've had to do a lot of work on my portfolio, plus doing a lot of other design work for recruitment purposes.

iconing at the end of the day doesn't pay the bills.

regardless, i've uploaded another preview. This is a obviously a food tray (i can't remember if it has an 'official' name or not. so i've just called it "Dinner for one" for the time being.

hopefuly after this wednesday i can work fulltime on my icons again.
Yummy...

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 06:51 PM

Sorry guys for my slowness in getting this set done.
Lame excuse. JK
Just take your time. The icons are looking amazing!

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 06:54 PM

Lame excuse. JK
Just take your time. The icons are looking amazing!
;-)

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 06:55 PM

Wow that icon has developed alot since you showed it to me zyote sweeet cant wait for the set!

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 07:00 PM

Okay, call me crazy.. but heres another.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 07:07 PM

Okay, call me crazy.. but heres another.
You crazy mofo!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 07:39 PM

You crazy mofo!
I second that!

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
That's because the (Colossus) DVD isn't out yet! The good news: it will be out in November. The bad news: full frame, no widescreen. Bleh.

I hope that since we will be missing essentially a third of the film, we'll get a break on the price...
Yes, that would explain why I can't find it. Full Frame. What cheapskates.

[cough] La Jet�e [cough]

No need to cough. So glad you didn't mention 12 Monkeys.

Talking of Chis Marker - most know La Jet�e. Some also are familiar with his documentary Sans Sol. I also highly recommend his film The Last Bolshevik. Excellent docu on Soviet cinema.

Zyote -

Icons are looking great. I like the fact that the icons are not representations of OS X specific objects. I much prefer these as I find more use for abstract icon sets.

Maybe all us 2001 fans should meet up in Germany for the 2001 exhibition? Next spring maybe? Hell, even TheZee is invited.

You also might be interested in a book called The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel. (loads of used copies are available online) I've a battered 1970 first printing by Signet. Incredibly detailed book with lots of background material. Highly recommend.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 11:58 AM

Zyote -

Icons are looking great. I like the fact that the icons are not representations of OS X specific objects. I much prefer these as I find more use for abstract icon sets.

Maybe all us 2001 fans should meet up in Germany for the 2001 exhibition? Next spring maybe? Hell, even TheZee is invited.

You also might be interested in a book called The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel. (loads of used copies are available online) I've a battered 1970 first printing by Signet. Incredibly detailed book with lots of background material. Highly recommend. [/B]
I looked for books online actually but i really couldn't tell which one was worth getting.. so i opted just for online research... and of course the dvd. there are some great 2001 fan sites around. i'd love to go to the exhibition. i thought it had finished though.....

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 12:04 PM

You also might be interested in a book called The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel. (loads of used copies are available online) I've a battered 1970 first printing by Signet. Incredibly detailed book with lots of background material. Highly recommend.
I've got a well-ripped and tattered book by Arthur C. Clarke in the same vein called The Lost Worlds of 2001. It basically goes through a lot of the development of the book and the movie (they were developed simultaneously). But what's really cool is that Clarke said that seeing some of the scenes he was writing acted in the movie version changed his mind about including the scene, so the two projects had a lot of feedback. The book includes a ton of variations that Clarke and Kubrick tried for various scenes.

Most interesting to me is a ton of different scenes dealing with when the aliens finally make their appearance. Clarke and Kubrick were repeatedly unhappy with how the aliens looked or "felt" (in the book), and they wound up never actually making an appearance.

Good stuff.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 12:06 PM

wasn't there supposed to be some blue food too? cause aliens didn't know what colour to make food? or something in that end waiting room?

the books description of that last scene was really really cool.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 12:10 PM

Yes, that would explain why I can't find it. Full Frame. What cheapskates.

[cough] La Jet�e [cough]

No need to cough. So glad you didn't mention 12 Monkeys.

Talking of Chis Marker - most know La Jet�e. Some also are familiar with his documentary Sans Sol. I also highly recommend his film The Last Bolshevik. Excellent docu on Soviet cinema.
Well, I am a Terry Gilliam fan, so I enjoyed 12 Monkeys as well... :-)

The video department at PUB here in Stockholm is selling a dual La Jet�e/Sans Sol DVD that I've been meaning to pick up...

Great idea!

Hey, I had that book when I was a kid! I have long since lost track of it, but I still remember quite a lot of it. It had quotes of dialogue from the film for chapter names... cleverly done...

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 12:42 PM

The Frankfurt exhibition has now moved to Berlin. See here http://www.stanleykubrick.de/

Four books taken from the Kubrick section of my library I recommend on 2001 are:
The Making of Kubrick's 2001 - edited by Jerome Agel (you can pick this up for a few quid)
The Making of 2001: A Space Odessey - selected by Stephanie Schwam
2001 Filming the Future - Piers Bizony
And for something more scientific how about Hal's Legacy - edited by David G. Stork.

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
Hey, I had that book when I was a kid! I have long since lost track of it, but I still remember quite a lot of it. It had quotes of dialogue from the film for chapter names... cleverly done...
Well remembered.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2004, 12:53 PM

Some terry gilliam icons would be awesome, like Brazil mmmmm

Dodgy77
Sep 20, 2004, 01:28 PM

The funky Metropolis robot with bosoms (little ones mind you)

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Dodgy77:
The funky Metropolis robot with bosoms (little ones mind you)
"Maria", I believe it's name was - built to to replace the real Maria (Rotwang's daughter? - can't remember)

Yet another Lucas "borrow"... :-D

Dodgy77
Sep 20, 2004, 03:50 PM

Hey, I hadnt thought of that. Does bare a striking resemblance to the neurotic C3-PO.

crooner
Senior User
Sep 20, 2004, 06:17 PM

You crazy mofo!
Ditto!
Which reminds me... if you wear a cellophane suit, can people clearly see your nuts?

sorry...

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 09:08 PM

Can someone lend me $150,000 please?

I so want this.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2004, 03:01 PM

Can someone lend me $150,000 please?

I so want this.

It's official. That's the coolest 'n thing I've ever seen for sale on eBay,

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
It's official. That's the coolest 'n thing I've ever seen for sale on eBay,
Yeah the great thing is he will have to lower the price because no one will buy that!

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 07:05 PM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2004, 07:09 PM

okay folks.. i got a job interview in the morning!

cross your fingers for me!!

afterwards when they give me the job and i'm all happy! THEN i'll get cracking on these icons! ;-) haha

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 08:15 PM

G'luck zyote!

Dave-o�
Senior User
Sep 21, 2004, 08:28 PM

Ditto.. Going through the same thing now... Interview on Monday, don't find out until next week Friday..

Hints: Make up thank you cards before hand, If it's a lady your interviewing with... bring chocolate (the good kind) other than that, be up beat and happy.. oh yeah, have your S T together... down to the last period on their web site.. ya dig...

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2004, 10:08 PM

Hey zyote are you doing a cyro bed icon?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 09:31 PM

So how'd the interview go Zyote?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 07:07 AM

Hi! the 2nd interview went really well on wedesday, and i think i've got a great chance of getting it. my agents said they had some great feedback. but they haven't decided yet which of the 3 final canidates (myself, and two others) to pick yet!!

hopefully i should know on monday!

the suspense has been killing me!

I'll let ya'll know as soon as i can.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 10:18 AM

I for one second this completely cool icon set. They're looking awesome. A set like this does not come around every day.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 03:32 PM

Here's another..

it's not 100% perfect, but pretty okay ;-)

idle
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 04:59 PM

Looks nice but i'd add a second leg aswell as a second arm. Also i suggest turning it a bit. Maybe 23�? (the angle at which earth spins?) imho bit too much of a side view.

Otherwise i'm already a big fan of this set. can't wait till its finished.

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by idle:
Looks nice but i'd add a second leg aswell as a second arm. Also i suggest turning it a bit. Maybe 23�? (the angle at which earth spins?) imho bit too much of a side view.

Otherwise i'm already a big fan of this set. can't wait till its finished.
heheh.

FINE!! i'll give the baby a second arm & leg!

(thought i might have gotten away with it)

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 05:25 PM

*rough version*

more like this sorta angle?

Zyote  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 05:28 PM

also, i need to make the eyes a bit bigger and more freaky looking like the one in the movie.

Forum Links
Forum Rules