Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Should I buy a single or dual proc G4 upgrade?

Should I buy a single or dual proc G4 upgrade?
brucejy
Nov 5, 2004, 06:37 PM

I have a QS867 and I want to upgrade the processor. I have read the other posts and many statements seem to indicate that only some apps benefit from dual processors. My choices are the same single proc @ 1.467 Ghz vs dual @ 1.267 or 1.333 Ghz. Does OS X make use of all processing power, or do apps need to be tuned to take advantage of the extra processor? I run a bunch of standard office stuff, and then I use VPC 7 to run a proprietary java-based electronic medical record program. I need to have VPC 7 to be "snappy." Does VPC take advantage of dual processors?

Thanks in advance.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2004, 09:53 PM

i think it does.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2004, 12:57 AM

Don't look at the cost of the upgrade alone when guaging whether or not to get a dual. Look at the total cost of the entire system. If you do that, you'll see that in total, spending the extra money for a dual upgrade over a single upgrade will probably only cost you around 15%.

Yes, get a dual.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2004, 04:17 AM

In the days of yore when everyone was using OS9, the 2nd processor in a dual system sat idle most of the time. Until you fired up photoshop......

OS X actually gives the 2nd CPU something to do all of the time (You ALWAYS have more than one thread running, even if your just running the OS).
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

OreoCookie
Nov 6, 2004, 07:48 AM

How much do you have to spend for each?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jamerican
Nov 6, 2004, 06:01 PM

I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing - replacing my 867mhz processor with a dual 1.2ghz processor. OWC will also take my old processor and give me $95 for it. The Gigadesigns Dual 1.2ghz costs about $570 so my net cost would be $485. Has anyone on this forum ever done this upgrade before and, if so, what are the pitfalls/benefits in doing so?
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

brucejy  (op)
Nov 7, 2004, 02:14 PM

What is your opinion of the Sonnet 1.267 dual vs the Gigadesigns 1.267 dual? Have you read anything in any forum about their relative reliability?
( Last edited by brucejy; Nov 8, 2004 at 08:55 AM. )

P
Nov 7, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by brucejy:
I need to have VPC 7 to be "snappy." Does VPC take advantage of dual processors?
In fullscreen mode it does, in windowed mode it doesn't. You still gain from a dual though, as all other tasks (from the OS and other programs) can be offloaded to the other CPU.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by jamerican:
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing - replacing my 867mhz processor with a dual 1.2ghz processor. OWC will also take my old processor and give me $95 for it. The Gigadesigns Dual 1.2ghz costs about $570 so my net cost would be $485. Has anyone on this forum ever done this upgrade before and, if so, what are the pitfalls/benefits in doing so?
$570 for an upgrade? I'd rather save the money for a new machine ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

candykane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 06:45 PM

hmm i'm a dealer in cpu upgrades and i say dont waste your money.
if you have a 733 get a 1 ghz @ 1,2 ghz its fast and cheap . and it feels like 2 times as fast.
the 200 extra bucs for the 1,4@1,5 is a waste. you hardly notice it and do you know the mayouraty run unstable arive as doa or run verry hot!

if you thinking about a dual dont get a dual sell your old systeem and with the money for the upgrade you can get a new mac!
or get a dual g4 1,25 GHz MDD unit its fast but do this only if you need to run mac os 9 in al other cases get a g5!

why ?
Don't turn your mac in to a xmus tree it might just light up!
how old is your mac? how old do you think she will become with out a defect that will cost money?
apple parts are expencive. and hard to get
faster ide controlers and sata are in the new mac's
they have warenty
And i'm building a apple g5 xserve out of surlpus i have a mainboad and a 1,8 ghz processor for just 625 dollar of ebay i only need a riser card, a psu and ram and i'll be firreing up my g5 for less than a 1000 dollar! now thats an upgrade lol
Building a xserve g5 for a 1000 euro's(1280 dollar) ;)

lenox
Senior User
Nov 9, 2004, 11:48 AM

Dual all the way! I have a dual 867mhz mdd at home and I've never seen that thing 'wait' for much of anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules