Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Panther on new 2.0G iMac

Panther on new 2.0G iMac
Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 08:46 AM

Quick question - if I get a new iMac, is it possible to install Panther (I have a legal copy) on it rather than the supplied Tiger or is this disabled in the ROM?

(I know many will ask why, but lets's just say I don't want Tiger just yet)

TIA
( Last edited by Will C; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:59 AM. )

Dave B
Jun 23, 2005, 12:17 PM

I booted my Revision B iMac from a clone of my Panther Install on my eMac,
and the fans ran full-blast the whole time. I'm pretty sure someone else wrote
about having a similar experience as well.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 25, 2005, 01:29 AM

Yes, it works, but the fans are not supported, so they just run in vacuum cleaner mode.

Apple also officially states that they will not support a 20" iMac running Panther. In fact, in my blog I quoted a little blurb direct from Steve Jobs, saying that the iMac 2.0 will never (fully) support Panther.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jun 25, 2005 at 01:40 AM. )

Will C  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2005, 04:18 AM

Thanks Dave and Eug, looks like I'll hold off for a bit until some of the (important to me) Tiger bugs are ironed out.

belafonte
Jun 26, 2005, 08:27 PM

just try it, it'll be fun

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 09:52 PM

Do we have a few Tiger-regrets out there? I thought I was the only one who didn't think the upgrade was worth it.

Although, since these machines SHIP with Tiger, it's sad to see people who want to downgrade. I wonder why? Could it be Tiger's many incompatibilities with thrid-party software?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 11:38 PM

Tiger rocks... for most individuals (including myself).

However, switching OSes can be a major pain for lots of businesses. Let's say you are an IT manager that manages 100 Macs. Every piece of software (say 15 apps) on those Panther Macs works perfectly, and all of your users are able to be productive on Panther.

Along comes the new iMac 2.0, which is perfect price-wise and hardware-wise for 10 new employees. Do you really want to go thru the testing process again on Tiger for all 15 apps, as well as everything else? And what happens if 1 of those apps does have a glitch in Tiger?

It would be a lot easier for the IT manager to simply buy a Mac and put Panther on it, but you can't do that with the new iMac. (You can do that with the new Power Macs, but Power Macs are hardly the same thing.)

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2005, 04:06 AM

You have to switch OS's at some point though. The sooner the better I'd say. I understand there can be problems for businesses that have got everything set up and working properly, but personally I'd sacrifice the odd glitch and incompatibility to have the latest software advances any day (as long as there was no singular, major, critical incompatibility to my business of course).

I upgraded on day one of Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger, and I have had absolutely zero regrets. Tiger has brought some wonderful things to Mac OSX for me. Some annoying bugs are gone, a lot of small but useful features have been added, and things like Automator are simply life-changing when you get used to using them. Yes, I lost the use of a couple of apps in th process of upgrading, but they have all since been updated or superceded.

Anyway, Will did say he didn't want this kind of discussion. I'll leave it there. ;-)
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2005, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ozzpot
You have to switch OS's at some point though.
No you don't, at least not to Tiger. Just because Apple releases an OS doesn't mean you have to install it.

It would make perfect sense for a business to standardize on Panther, and then switch to Lion once it's stable, skipping Tiger entirely.

Except Apple doesn't allow this, if you plan on buying new hardware.

Forum Links
Forum Rules