Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Making An Adventure Game

Making An Adventure Game
PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 03:49 PM

I am a creative writing student and for my final major project I intend to write a script (read that as a dramatic script, as opposed to a computer programming script) for a point-and-click style adventure game. Think Monkey Island/Sam and Max.

It is my ambition to eventually actually try and make the game. How difficult do you think this would be? I have no knowledge of computer programming etc, but I could write the thing, and have a team of good creative friends who could illustrate, animate and do the voice acting. I'd want it to appear a fairly polished looking product (such as Curse Of Monkey Island, as opposed to cheap looking online 'escape the room' type games) so I doubt something like flash would be suitable.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I should go about this? Any words of encouragement/discouragement.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 07:55 PM

I don't see a reason Flash couldn't be used to make a polished looking game, but then again I don't know the programming capabilities of it. You might be better off using Director (although I hate that software with a passion). But then again, they are just tools to create the means. The finished product is all up to you.

Point and click adventure games as a genre is sadly all but dead. You have better make a damn interesting and funny game (unless you want something like The Longest Journey, Tex Murphy or Gabriel Knight) all at once (think Monkey Island, Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle yourself ). That all starts with the game script. So polish that off first before you start implementing the game.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 20, 2007, 04:21 AM

Flash can do this, no worries. Have you not seen some of the latest Flash games?!

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2007, 04:28 AM

ah, my vote's for C++/OpenGL. Harder, yeah, but if you have friends who are willing and able to do it, why not?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by PlacidTubs View Post
Any words of encouragement/discouragement.
Go for it!

Do put some major humour in there as it'll be the major selling point.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by loki74 View Post
ah, my vote's for C++/OpenGL. Harder, yeah, but if you have friends who are willing and able to do it, why not?
Why not? Well, C++ is hardly unachievable, but relative to modern programming languages, it is both annoying and has a ****ing steep learning curve. I would suggest you start learning with Ruby or Python. If you feel the need to continue on to C++ for speed reasons, you can (though computers are fast enough you probably don't need to), but I don't see any reason to deal with C++'s crap just to learn how to program. I know all the languages named above — and actually have a lot more formal training in C++ — but I can get most things done in Ruby many times faster than C++ just because it's higher-level and IMO cleaner. OK, rant over. That's my peace on the matter.

Anyway, on to the negative: Don't imagine you can just bang something out and have it be high-quality. Programming is an art much like acting or illustrating, and if you want to fulfill that role in the project as well as the other dedicated artists, you're going to have to learn how just like they have. It's achievable, but it will take work. I'm saying this mainly for mental preparation. If you underestimate the act of actually making the program, you'll either produce something you can't be proud of or you'll get overwhelmed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 20, 2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Point and click adventure games as a genre is sadly all but dead. You have better make a damn interesting and funny game
I miss leisure suit larry.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 10:19 AM

HyperCard.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 21, 2007, 05:55 AM

I knew someone that built a IRC bot from Hypercard back in 1996.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Why not? Well, C++ is hardly unachievable, but relative to modern programming languages, it is both annoying and has a ****ing steep learning curve.
hence the condition, "if you have a friend who is willing and able to do it."

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:17 PM

Check out inform:

Welcome

It rocks.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 11:25 PM

Inform is for interactive fiction, not for a Monkey Island style point-and-click adventure.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2007, 12:00 AM

Inform looks pretty cool.

Also this:
UNITY: Focus
sounds like the most powerful amateur tool out there. If it costs money, don't hesitate to gather funds from your family and friends, because it looks worth its price

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2007, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Inform is for interactive fiction, not for a Monkey Island style point-and-click adventure.
That's very true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules