Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wireless Mouse/Keyboard Issue

Apple Wireless Mouse/Keyboard Issue
m_brand0
Apr 24, 2009, 12:25 PM

I just bought a Mac Mini with the wireless mouse and keyboard from Apple. The keyboard and mouse both paired fine and I was able to use the computer with no problems. This morning, both the keyboard and mouse stopped functioning. Seeing that I did not turn either the keyboard or mouse off last night I replaced the batteries (which I don't think I'd have to do yet).

When I power on both keyboard and mouse, the green light comes on and begins flashing. It stops flashing fairly quickly. Neither is functioning and they both went out at the same time.

Any ideas? I don't have a wired keyboard or mouse so my machine is not usable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2009, 01:04 PM

Is Bluetooth enabled?

Are the keyboard & mouse being listed within Bluetooth System Preferences pane?

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 24, 2009, 02:18 PM

Yes, Bluetooth is turned on and the keyboard/mouse was listed in the System Preferences pane as of last night.

Both devices were functioning perfectly today and both stopped functioning at the same time.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2009, 04:59 PM

What about the well known procedures like to reset the PRAM, PMU or the SMC?, oh well, you would need a working keyboard for that…

Edit:
Actually you don't, at least to reset the SMC:

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
3. Wait at least 15 seconds.
4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
5. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

m_brand0  (op)
Apr 25, 2009, 01:44 AM

Well this was random but I tried it again 8 hours later and it's working. I did absolutely nothing. Is this common with the wireless keyboard/mouse from Apple? Up to now I've been on a Macbook.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2009, 12:09 PM

It is random-weird indeed. My experience is limited to a wireless Mighty Mouse, but I have even unpaired it from one Mac to use it with another Mac sitting on the same desk and was able to pair it to that second Mac without any hassle.

acoustix
May 21, 2009, 04:07 AM

I have had fits with a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse just stopping and starting working with a last generation iBook. i would try everything twice and nothing would happen and then later it would just start working again like you said, or repeating the same thing I had already done before without success would make it start working. They can defy logic.
MacBook 2.0/60GB/2.0GB
iBook 1.42/60GB/1.0GB
iBook 300/6GB/320MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules