Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who here has written a book?

Who here has written a book?
PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
May 21, 2005, 10:55 PM

After writing many short stories over the years, today I started the first draft of my first novel, after a long time in the planning stages.

I know a lot of people on here must have written books, either fiction or non-fiction, published or not published.

Share your experience with writing it, and if it got published, how that went about. I'm really interested to hear from other people so I don't feel so in the dark.

Kilbey
Baninated
May 21, 2005, 11:54 PM

I wrote a children's book.

Haven't submitted it to a publisher yet.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kilbey
I wrote a children's book.
All your preschooler needs to know about UAW

By Kilbey

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:05 AM

Maybe eventually, right now I don't have the time but I have an idea..
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 07:29 AM

Just in case you're interested, I am one of the owners of this company. One of the members here has already published a book with us.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 09:33 AM

Sorry that I can't help you but I'm interested in what the planning stages are you have gone through. What is important before you start writing?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2005, 10:30 AM

While I haven't written a whole book/novel, I did write three chapters in a medical textbook published last year.

alligator
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 11:36 AM

I've done the layout for a medical textbook. I also wrote 80% of a fiction novel when I was about 15. Never did finish it though.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 11:45 AM

I've written for a number of newspapers and magazines in my time. Right now, I'm working on getting a deal for my first book. It'll be a technical manual and the pay isn't great but the experience will be good and it'll be a nice addition to the c/v.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 11:55 AM

*cough*

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 12:00 PM

"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 12:11 PM

I've never written anything like a novel, but I wrote a book on Shell Programming and co-authored a book on Solaris. My shell programming book is in its 2d edition now.

Unless you are extremely self motivated, having a good editor who keeps you on track will be very important (especially as you reach the end of the writing and start doing the edits). Also have a friend or someone in your family read the book from time to time and tell you how well it flows, &c. I found that after a few months I was no longer reading what I had written, but what I *thought* I had written, so having a friendly external source of input was helpful.

The hardest part, for me, was the editing. The first time I left most of it to the end and I was really burnt-out by that time. The second time I mixed in edits and revisions with my writing and I found it to be much easier. This might not work as well for a novel, but its something to think about.

I didn't have much trouble getting published b/c the publisher approached me. I know a few people who have gone the self-publishing route due to publishing difficulties. If you can't find a good publisher, this might be something to consider.

When you get published, let us/me know the title. I'll go out an buy a copy.

Good Luck!

--ranga

historylme
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 01:49 PM

I have basically written two stories. The first one, I'm about 80% done, but I haven't worked on it for two years. The second novel is on the editing process (which is the bane of my existence). So, instead and to keep my sanity, I'm working on my third idea novel.

If anything, make yourself write at least once a day... no matter what. It's harder in practice than in theory... I don't follow it as I should. Also, check out www.meetup.com for writers in your area, should you want feed back on things or simply to meet other like minded people.

For me, writing is my cathartic out, hence it has become a necessity... however, it can be a very lonesome at times... but once you near the completion of your story, it's an amazing experience... you breath, eat and dream about it.

As for publishing, I am still in the pre-planning process and have much editing to do before I get there... but will start sending out fillers pretty soon. I have one particular disturbing scene that hopefully will put on the web should anyone be interested... soon.

Edit: my excerpt (About 13 pages in length and is yet to be fully edited.)
( Last edited by historylme; May 22, 2005 at 02:21 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules