Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard Disk Upgrade Path: biggest, fastest, or compromise?

Hard Disk Upgrade Path: biggest, fastest, or compromise?
bighead
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 03:09 PM

I bought my PowerBook as a CTO unit from Apple. However, I had not read any benchmarks on the speed differences between 4200 and 5400 RPM hard disks. I figured I could just leave the 4200 RPM 80GB drive in there, and toss a 100 GB drive into the unit when they came out. I like to have the spare space in case something goes awry. I saw the benchmarks between the 4200, 5400, and the Hitachi 7200 RPM drive and started kicking myself.

Then I began to think. I have two partitions on my machine. One is for the system, apps, and working documents. It's 10 GB in size, and I have it all residing in about 4.7 GB of space. I pare it down and work lean and mean. My second partition has my iPhoto library, iTunes library, and other documents as well as a backup of all of my software for easy access in case of an emergency. Even with all of that on the second partition, it is only using between 30 and 35 gigs on a given day.

Seeing as I rarely exceed 40 GB of used space on my computer (that's what the file server and VPN is for, don't you know!) what kind of hard disk upgrade would you good folks suggest? I wouldn't mind having a 100 GB Fujitsu drive just for the space and bragging rights ($214 on NewEgg). However, the 80 GB 5400 RPM Fujitsus are becoming affordable ($167) as are the 60 GB 7200 RPM Hitachis ($166). I want to stay with a drive that has a 3 year warranty, and I'm leaning towards the 7200 RPM Hitachi, though if an 80 GB 7200 RPM drive came out, I think that would seal the deal right there.

What are your thoughts?

(Sorry about another hard disk thread. I thought the discussion about the size/performance tradeoffs might be worthwhile.)
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 7, 2004, 03:51 PM

I upgraded my iBook to an 80GB 5400rpm Hitachi Travelstar. I initially bought a Hitachi 60GB 7200 because I didn't really need more than 60GB and I got a good deal on it. It arrived DOA and the guy I bought it from only had 80gig 5400's left, so he sent me one of those (plus I got to keep the dead 7k60, which I opened up - those things really do spin fast!)

Anyway, it depends whether you value speed or capacity most. A 7k80 would be great and is bound to turn up soon. What do you use your PB for? I'm not sure how much difference there is in terms of speed between the 7200 and 5400, but it all depends on what apps you're running.

If you can live with 60gigs on your laptop (you've got a file server, right?) and want the best performance then the 7k60 is the way to go.

If the speed between 7200 and 5400 won't make much difference to what you're running then go for more capacity.

Snake
Oct 7, 2004, 04:06 PM

Check out the benchmarks:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard34.html

Hitachi 7K60 is fastest all the way. You have to consider not only space, but RPMs as well when making a selection. The 40GB 7200 RPM drives from Hitachi are REALLY cheap on newegg.com now, if you felt so inclined.

Otherwise I would say get the 60GB 7200RPM model I already mentioned, and just get an external firewire enclosure for your old drive. Have the best of both worlds.
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

Forum Links
Forum Rules