Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Water-cooling... a person

Water-cooling... a person
digitdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 09:49 PM

Okay. So it's not Mac modding per se, but I still think it's pretty cool. I'm in the marching band at my school, and every Saturday, from 8-5, we have a practice session in nigh-on 100� L.A. weather. So. I was sweltering, dying for a drink, and it hit me: a small, mobile water-cooling unit that can be attached to a special suit of clothes. Anyone that knows of a way to cool the water, power the pump, or any other technicalities that might help me, please step forward now. A band geek needs you.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 10:48 PM

How about a camelback?

digitdean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 12:40 AM

I was thinking just a CamelBak, originally. But then I realized, dehydration was only half the problem. Heat exhaustion was playing a huge role. What I'm going for is a powered system of pumps and tubes, circulating cold water throughout the suit, finally going back to a radiator/cooler. A lot like a computer water-cooling system, but adapted to be lightweight, portable, and flexible enough for a tuba player.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by digitdean:
I was thinking just a CamelBak, originally. But then I realized, dehydration was only half the problem. Heat exhaustion was playing a huge role. What I'm going for is a powered system of pumps and tubes, circulating cold water throughout the suit, finally going back to a radiator/cooler. A lot like a computer water-cooling system, but adapted to be lightweight, portable, and flexible enough for a tuba player.
Drink water for now. By the time you are finish completing your suit, the temperature in LA would be fine.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 02:02 PM

Shouldn't this thread be in the lounge?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

digitdean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 07:00 PM

Sorry. That's why my title is "Newbie". Seems it'll stay that way for a while.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 06:40 AM

Funny idea, but largely impractical. First of all a network of tubes and pumps would be very expensive not to mention bulky and heavy. Secondly fans and radiative heat will only do so much because the water will only get cooled to ambient temperatures (and not even that because your cooler will not be perfect). Not to mention how to power the pumps and fans- I guess ideally some form of kinetic generator would be needed to take advantage of your marching.

But why don't you try this- instead of a radiator and pumps and whatnot use an evaporative cooler setup. Can you take a squirt/spray bottle out there with you? Just spray water on your face and neck, any exposed skin. It will evaporate off and with it will go heat from your skin, cooling you off. Very simple, quite effective. (Might I mention that theoretically it is more efficient than your pump/radiator cooler because the evaporation can actually cool the water to below ambient temperatures.)

You know what is really cool though is that your body already has a radiative cooling system built into it (hint: your blood). By spraying water on your skin and letting it evaporate you are increasing the efficiency of the cooling you already have . (PS why do you think you sweat? )

Anyhow yeah this should probably get moved somewhere else

Ruahrc

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 06:38 PM

I suggest....

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 02:08 AM

And don't take advice from R. Kelly.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2004, 10:51 AM

Sounds like you want a stillsuit - a la Dune...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2004, 06:30 PM

You're looking for something called a Cool Suit. Race car drivers use them all the time. It's a shirt with a series of tubes that run over it with a liquid that flows through it (like the cooling system of a car).

http://www.freshairsystems.com/cool.htm
http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID=7585
http://thedynoshop.net/coolsuit.htm

-Todd...

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2004, 10:27 PM

About every 6 months, there's a story on slashdot about newly developed fabrics or methods of cooling soldiers and athletes (geeks can't fight or run, gotta do something....). Might want to search their site, or stick a Thermalright to your back using Arctic Epoxy, with a few heatpipes going to your head, neck, and groin (do not use Arctic Epoxy on your groin).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2004, 01:33 PM

Jet fighter pilots have pressure suits (to prevent DVT among other things) which are hooked up to pumps on the plane. They use pressures you won't need to go anywhere near, and I think most of them are waterproof (Though just by attaching a small airpump to the suits inputs should cool you down a bit).

These suits do occasionally turn up in army surplus stores.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 10:25 PM

LMAO! Adapt and overcome! What a great idea. LMAO!
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 08:36 AM

Get in shape. Humans were designed to adapt naturally.

perbl
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2004, 10:26 AM

I know that some of the Norwegian athletes who were competing in the Olympics in Athens used some kinda vests that cooled them down, but that was developed in cooperation with some of the largest universities here, and is probably not for sale to the average Joe Customer....

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by perbl:
I know that some of the Norwegian athletes who were competing in the Olympics in Athens used some kinda vests that cooled them down, but that was developed in cooperation with some of the largest universities here, and is probably not for sale to the average Joe Customer....
Might have been this
http://www.climator.com/application/body.html
They also make a laptop cooling pad. I have one and it works well. Interesting concept.
http://www.climator.com/passivecooling.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules