Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Awfully quiet - Time for a roll call.

Awfully quiet - Time for a roll call.
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 01:09 AM

Been awfully quiet recently. Figure it's time for a roll call. What projects are you working on and what kind of power do you bring. Tell a little something about yourself. Big or small cruncher doesn't matter.

I'm currently crunching SETI with my lone iMac 1.66mhz Dual Core. Have crunched a lot of other projects though over the years but no longer have multiple computers. (once had 8 crunching for Team MacNN.) Currently living and working in the Philippines. Main hobby is photography and my photo website is Philippines Photo Journal.

Been crunching for MacNN for a long time now.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 03:17 PM

I'm here as usual. ~11 GHz of PPC muscle, currently not crunching until outside temps no longer require cooling. I'll be crunching again in a couple months. No favorite project, though altivec-optimization is a big plus.

My stats-related website is offline, so no link.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2007, 06:02 PM

I'm currently a SETI devotee - crunching along with 30+ machines that range from a MacMini (core single) up to a few Xeons (quads and duals). Luckily electricity is being donated, cause I'd hate to pay for that electric bill.

I haven't heard anything yet from ET, but I'll be sure to let everyone know when I do. I think I started this 'hobby' back in 2000. Keep crunchin'!!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

zombie67
Senior User
Jul 10, 2007, 06:12 PM

I'm here too. After going full hog on F@H, I have moved most of my boxes back to BOINC. I only have a C2D iMac and a PS3 (just got it yesterday with the price drop!) Folding right now. Doing just the one project is too boring for me. Lately I'm in every project possible, with more weight on the projects where I have low total credits. I'll crack 5M in a week or two!

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 08:57 PM

I have tried several different projects but I always come back to SETI. Currently I have the four computers running for me.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2007, 06:37 AM

I'm still here. Crunching seti on my three boxes. Linux on an intel dual is also attached to orbit in the hope that they may start producing some wu's. The main man there has apparently been busy with ORSA which looks interesting.

My mac ppc quad is still crunching, but only on three cpu's to reduce the load (it hosts my web site) and help the cooling. It's about 18 months old now. I hope it has a few more years left in it. btw can anyone tell me if Tiger/Panther server edition runs on a gui, or is it all command line?

My win pc has an intel extreme quad. I have had some heating problems but added another high speed case fan. It reduced the running temp by about 10 deg C, so that was a big improvement.noise has gone up though. That's running seti on three cpu's as well.

Other than that its

K.
ps
Galaxy Zoo A project which harnesses the power of the internet
- and your brain -to classify a million galaxies. Looks interesting - if you have the time.
K.
( Last edited by Knightrider; Jul 12, 2007 at 06:47 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 12, 2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
... btw can anyone tell me if Tiger/Panther server edition runs on a gui, or is it all command line?
OSX Server (all versions) is the same as OSX Client, with a few add ons. A number of services (MySQL, etc) come preinstalled, and Apple supplies a GUI control / configuration application to give one-click control of all the extra services. Or as close to one-click as they can manage.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 08:19 PM

Hi guys, long time no hear from. I am still alive, but not crunching any longer. Glad to see so many familiar names though!
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

ChillyWilly5280
Jul 13, 2007, 11:42 AM

Had to put my 1.25 GHz iMac & 800 MHz Yikes! in storage along with all the rest of my belongings. Running my 1.67 GHz PowerBook here in the truck and I gave a friend my 800 MHz iMac, just waiting for her to get online so it can start crunching again.

I wish I could contribute more to the team but that's just not in the cards right now. I'm participating in 10 PPC projects and signed up for Orbit. Would love to get a PS3 just to run F@H but right now I wouldn't have anyplace to run it. Will probably be several years before I acquire another residence so the PB will be my primary cruncher. A MacBook or Pro would definitely give more RAC but I'm sticking with PPC for as long as possible, especially since I don't want/need CS 3.

Billy
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 09:16 PM

I have a year-old iMac that is crunching Seti, Einstein, climateprediction, ralph, ABC. docking, Simap, and Folding. These resources vary with mood. In the summer heat I have to shut down occassionally as we don't have air-conditioning in the house. My kids, 20-somethings think I am an idiot for wasting time and electricity on such things, but I ignore them.

zombie67
Senior User
Jul 17, 2007, 09:57 PM

Just broke 5 Miiiiiiiiilion!

zombie67
Senior User
Jul 17, 2007, 09:57 PM

Man! Forum is SLOW! Just to view this thread, it timed out 3 times before finally displaying the page.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 17, 2007, 11:32 PM

I've been noticing that. It might affect threads in Team forum more than other forums. Maybe the server is checking links to teamstats, and has to let it time out first? That wouldn't be so good, teamstats looks to be offline for awhile longer.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 18, 2007, 11:04 AM

At least part of the delay was the new image resizer (since turned back to the old resizer). It was trying to preload every image in a thread (including sig images) before it sent the page out to our browsers.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 11:16 AM

I let my browser attempt to load a page on the site for 10 minutes and it finally just displayed a blank page.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2007, 12:28 PM

Took me about 5 minutes to get the page to properly display...

QS

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 05:06 AM

I couldn't get back in for the longest time but Reader50's recommendation to turn off show sigs in options helped.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 09:50 PM

At work I have a pair of Power Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz running Rosetta and SETI 24/7. My Macbook runs the same projects part-time. I have been trying to see if I could swing a few more machines at work, but it doesn't seem to be possible. I use to run SETI on an old eMachine, before BOINC, but that machine is long gone.

Something about donating free CPU cycles to science has jsut had appeal for me. Also, I don't pay electric bills.

zombie67
Senior User
Aug 6, 2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
Also, I don't pay electric bills.
Lucky dog!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
Lucky dog!
Indeed. Also, at work I am instructed to leave the Macs on, and just let them sleep instead of turning them off. PCs are turned off. Seems to me they wanted me to run it.

jedimstr
Aug 11, 2007, 08:57 AM

Jedi_Mstr checking in...

Current Projects:
SETI@Home 70%
rosetta@home 10%
climateprediction.net 10%
Einstein@Home 10%

Current Crunchers:
Unholy mix of Intel and PPC Macs with a dash of ye olde Chicken Souped PC's thrown in for a bit of flavor. I'm in the process of tracking down a bunch of those PC's to drop in the updated 2.4 Chicken Soup and I went back to default Enhanced clients for the Macs (at least until Alex releases his v8 MultiBeam supporting clients). Got a few of the new Mac Mini's with Core2Duos on order, so lets see how it adds to my RAC.
Details on the curnchers under BOINC influence: BOINCstats | BOINC combined - Host stats - Jedi_Mstr
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Lair: Reviews, Tips, and the RickyCam
----------------------------------------------------
Jedi's Photos: Living life one shutter click at a time...

Forum Links
Forum Rules