Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Holy **** this place is dead. A month of threads on the first page!

Holy **** this place is dead. A month of threads on the first page!
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Mar 3, 2012, 04:27 PM

Good job, moderators. Top notch.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 04:39 PM

Hey Rob, how's it going int your neck of the woods ?

And yes, this place is pretty much dead.

-t

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
And yes, this place is pretty much dead.

-t
How comes? Everybody of the gang of 2002 went to facepuke?!

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2012, 07:13 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2012, 07:18 PM

It's the fault of moderators that you can't create hundreds of useless threads in which everyone proceeds to troll you?

Well, I guess it is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2012, 07:31 PM

Yeah, a bunch of regulars left before you did, Rob.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2012, 01:11 AM

nostalgiaCa$h
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2012, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
Good job, moderators. Top notch.
This is just great. Ive been visiting quietly, and along comes my very own poser. meh. Don't even try. Even your name is a recycle - it's good for the environment. Now go bury it.
anyone who wants to be me, can be me.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2012, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's the fault of moderators that you can't create hundreds of useless threads in which everyone proceeds to troll you?

Well, I guess it is.
No.

Its the fault of the board owners for not changing the site to remain relevant and attract new readers with better content. The forum has suffered for that. The fact that they haven't even seen the wisdom in keeping the remaining members engaged with a mobile phone interface or better yet an iOS app for the forums shows how behind the times MacNN is these days.

Its the fault of the admins for picking really sup par moderators to oversee the current forums. I had no idea who a couple of them even were until they popped up with some sanctimonious sermon to the flock months back. Not only must a moderator be a frequent and active participant on the board they look after but they have to know how to discern between actual violations and comments they personally just don't like. Tapping a .5 post per day, stodgy white night wannabe who wants to keep everything P.C. 24/7 is only going to smother the little activity that remains around here.

That's what is killing the forum. Not Facebook or twitter.
The number of people using Apple products has only grown in the period since MacNN has declined. There's a larger potential audience out there that would find this place of interest if only the resource was managed more intelligently.
( Last edited by Captain Obvious; Mar 4, 2012 at 05:33 AM. )

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2012, 05:28 AM

Yeah!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
The fact that they haven't even seen the wisdom in keeping the remaining members engaged with a mobile phone interface or better yet an iOS app for the forums shows how behind the times MacNN is these days.
To be honest, this is one of the things keeping me here.

I HATE castrated "mobile" interfaces. The Verge does that, and it pisses me off.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by nostalgiaCa$h View Post
This is just great. Ive been visiting quietly, and along comes my very own poser. meh. Don't even try. Even your name is a recycle - it's good for the environment. Now go bury it.
Ok, that was unexpected.

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2012, 06:39 PM

Part of the problem I think is that there are way too many sub forums. Granted they've fixed things a bit by merging desktops and laptops into one forum. But to be honest we'd probably be better served by having one hardware forum, one software forum and one lounge. There are very few people who go online and only want to peruse forums trying to fix people's stuff, and expecting those people to check 7 forums on a consistent basis shows a complete lack of knowledge about how forum members engage.

I actually find MacNN is still one of the best sites to go to if I want to keep up with a broad range of happenings in consumer tech with an unabashed Mac bias. (Frankly half the time when I read about something I think about how it relates to my Mac stuff so MacNN can be useful for that.)

The forums are an OCD person's dream as far as layout, which is why they work so poorly. They're over categorized and under humanized. Add to that the competition from Facebook which is actually geared towards socialization, and you have to wonder why fewer people spend their goof off time on NN?

I'm not gonna bitch too much about the mods, because I've been there. I used to mod a community and it gets exhausting when you have people like ca$h to deal with. But at the same time, they've gotten rid of nearly all the interesting posters, so now all that's left to moderate is what sub forum they should put your post which was made in the anything goes forum into. (News flash guys, the lounge is supposed to be an anything goes forum ... so if somebody posts something about the Mac in the lounge it probably won't result in small children dying if you just suppress your OCD and just leave it put.)

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2012, 06:53 PM

The real reason this place is in decline is Reddit. Many tech forums at popular sites like Ars Technica, Slashdot, and of course Digg are in serious decline because of Reddit. That place is booming. Why come here when you can go there? I ask myself that a lot, actually.

I think the mods here are pretty good. I get infractions, and I've never gotten one I didn't deserve.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2012, 07:47 PM

Reddit ?

I must admit, I never even been to their website.

-t

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2012, 08:13 PM

I also think there's just less to talk about. In the OS 9 days, and the early OS X days, there was a lot of change, a lot of unknowns and a lot of tweaking to get OS X to run well on our G3s and G4s. Now when the low end MacBook Pro has a dual-core i5 with HT and OS X is mature, a lot of stuff just works. I can't remember the last time I had a serious tech issue to solve, and my iPods/iPhones have been almost completely trouble-free.

In a strange way Apple may have been too successful: when your hardware and software work trouble free 95% of the time, what's to talk about?
( Last edited by Don Pickett; Mar 4, 2012 at 08:54 PM. )
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2012, 11:15 PM

Reddit ?

I must admit, I never even been to their website.

-t
Where do you think I found all my turtle pictures?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2012, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Where do you think I found all my turtle pictures?
Googleit ?

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2012, 01:57 AM

Never mind.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2012, 03:33 PM

Two reasons:

1. Apple has become so mainstream, it doesn't have a fanatical following anymore. Everybody has one. What's the point of commenting on this or that? Being an Apple fan doesn't mean anything nowadays.

2. Apple has itself to blame because of the generic naming of products. Every iPhone model is an iPhone, every laptop model is a MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air. Every iPad is an iPad. Where's the models that stand out like the Pismo--which does have a fanatical following?

I betcha there's a decline in Mac forums all across the web...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2012, 06:38 PM

I blame Rickey retiring.

Cipher13
Mar 6, 2012, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
I also think there's just less to talk about. In the OS 9 days, and the early OS X days, there was a lot of change, a lot of unknowns and a lot of tweaking to get OS X to run well on our G3s and G4s. Now when the low end MacBook Pro has a dual-core i5 with HT and OS X is mature, a lot of stuff just works. I can't remember the last time I had a serious tech issue to solve, and my iPods/iPhones have been almost completely trouble-free.

In a strange way Apple may have been too successful: when your hardware and software work trouble free 95% of the time, what's to talk about?
Originally Posted by amazing View Post
1. Apple has become so mainstream, it doesn't have a fanatical following anymore. Everybody has one. What's the point of commenting on this or that? Being an Apple fan doesn't mean anything nowadays.

I betcha there's a decline in Mac forums all across the web...
I agree with most of this. The climate has changed. Smaller communities are always tighter and more active. Apple/Mac users are no longer an alternative community.

It isn't just a Mac thing though - I also think the people have changed; I personally don't have much time to spare for forums and the like, and the younger generation seem to have far less interest in exploring the technical side of things they take for granted (they've been brought up with computers in every corner of their life almost from birth).

Answers to questions and solutions to problems are now a google query away, so fewer self-made subject matter experts (and it's those who are self-educated that tend to be passionate) are forged, and a vastly higher proportion of users are just that - users.

That so many familiar names are still visible around here does MacNN honour, even if it is a much quieter place these days. I don't know anywhere else where I can log in and see handles I know.

andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2012, 01:03 PM

hi cipher!

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post

Answers to questions and solutions to problems are now a google query away,
And yet ironically if you google for answers, it's usually a forum, like MacNN that pops up in the listings with the answers.

Weird huh?
( Last edited by Doc HM; Mar 6, 2012 at 04:57 PM. )
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2012, 05:17 PM

I decided to google "decline of mac forums".

This thread was on the front page, ninth hit.

2 choices:

--we're so hip that we identified a major trend before anyone else in the entire Google world!
--self-flagellation is top news!

Tiresias
Mar 13, 2012, 11:45 AM

Everyone agrees it is dead.

What does it matter what the results of the autopsy are?

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Everyone agrees it is dead.

What does it matter what the results of the autopsy are?
We can't divide up MacNN's stuff until the coroner gives a cause of death.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

iM@k
Senior User
Mar 14, 2012, 02:39 AM

Please, for the love of MacNN would someone please put up an image for the Photoshoppers to tweak to hilarity!
What, me worry?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 14, 2012, 06:45 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what was meant in the title as "a month of threads on the first page." Even the lower traffic forums have had enough traffic for that to not be the case for the main page. The Lounge? Yes, we have some nearly month-old threads on the first page, but the active threads are staying at the top (duh!) and are staying active. Not having ALL the threads for the Lounge first page being "fresh" doesn't mean we aren't active, and the top dozen threads have all been started since this past weekend. Still really confused.

As for hats, I have a Stetson Whippet in gray (no feather), and (yes, I'm a nerd) an officially licensed Indiana Jones fedora.

Whippet

Indy

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias
Mar 14, 2012, 12:32 PM

Yes, back to hats.

I've got a straw cowboy hat. I wear it when I get drunk. That's why I call it (ingeniously!) my "drunk hat."

I'm really taking things up a notch with this straw parson's hat that I ordered, however.

I love wide-brimmed straw hats on women, too. I try to make my wife wear one but she doesn't want to. She thinks that, because she is short, it will make her look like a mushroom.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2012, 01:09 PM

This thread is now also about TIresias' hat.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2012, 02:05 PM

People are spending more time on their Facebook profiles, talking with their "real life" friends.

Tiresias
Mar 15, 2012, 08:46 AM

In my last post I said that my parson's hat was made of straw when in fact it is made of felt.

Yes, that's right. I said it was made of straw when I meant felt.

Oh how I laugh! How I laugh!

Tiresias
Mar 15, 2012, 09:14 AM

Speaking of my hat, has anyone had any experience with USPS Priority Mail?

I was tracking my mail online and ran into some forums in which people are basically saying that it is total BS. The estimate is 10 days but some of these people claim to have waited over 5 weeks.

Sure hope not.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2012, 09:49 AM

USPS Priority Mail is totally unpredictable for International service. Not sure what holds it up at the USPS international gateway here in the US (it sometimes seems to get lost there) but then there's customs at the other end. The regs can be byzantine, sometimes they'll say they sent a notice of customs due, which you'll swear you never got, etc.

Between a rock and a hard place...sorry about the hat!

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 10:04 AM

I know this is suposed to be a "family friendly" forum but I vote for a new subforum in the lounge that can be more "adult friendly"... and I'm not sure how it would work but there could be some sort of age verification... or at least a warning so no liability.

Tiresias
Mar 15, 2012, 10:06 AM

It's as if you take for granted that I won't get my hat.

I don't like that.

But I'm not giving up hope yet.

South Korea is extremely efficient with customer service. So long as the USPS can manage to get my box on a plane it should be here soon afterwards.

Tiresias
Mar 15, 2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I know this is suposed to be a "family friendly" forum but I vote for a new subforum in the lounge that can be more "adult friendly"... and I'm not sure how it would work but there could be some sort of age verification... or at least a warning so no liability.
I'm sorry. This thread is about my hat.

But actually, I agree with you. And even if it doesn't work, a no-holds-barred policy will at least allow MacNN to go down in a blaze of glory.

Tiresias
Mar 19, 2012, 09:58 AM

USPS tracking dutifully informs me that my wide-brimmed felt parson's hat has been processed through the sort facility and given customs clearance in Seoul.

Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2012, 07:57 PM

Elmore Leonard approved!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2012, 07:44 PM

So, ever since the forum update, I rarely come here anymore.
But when I do, holy crap, this place is dead.

If it wasn't or this f*cking News Poster robot ass, the "New Posts" of a whole day would fit on ONE(!!!1!) page.

RIP, 'NN.

-t

NewsPosteur
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2012, 07:58 PM

If it wasn't or this f*cking News Poster robot ass, the "New Posts" of a whole day would fit on ONE(!!!1!) page.
RIP, 'NN.
-t

Dear MacNN Member,

Insulting the MacNN robot infrastructure is a violation of your forum user agreement. If you continue making disparaging remarks directed at the MacNN robot infrastructure your account will be terminated at the discretion of the MacNN mods.

Thank you for your cooperation.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2012, 02:11 AM

Beauty
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2012, 04:52 AM

RIP, 'NN.

-t
Since the news comments are now integrated into the forum, there is actually more traffic than there has been in years.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Since the news comments are now integrated into the forum, there is actually more traffic than there has been in years.
Yes, can imaging how bad it would be without it ?

Crazy.

Plus, why the f$&(/ is posting here on an iOS device still such a pita ? Will they ever fix it?

Aaaarrrrrgh.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules