Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Language Kit & OS9 Not working

Language Kit & OS9 Not working
dklaproth
Oct 16, 1999, 12:54 AM

I got OS9 and installed it with the Japanese language kit option.

When I open simpletext (j) or Netscape (j), for example, the finder menue bar and pull down menues are not readable. Not English and not Japanese. A bunch of crazy letters.

The Finder is also dropping letters in the main menues. (e.g. Fi... Ed... Vi... Spe... Fi... He...)

I tried using the Appearance control panel, but there are no options for Japanese fonts in the system fonts menues, only in the view fonts menue.

Japanese is working in some of the apps, just not the menues.

What do I need to do to resolve these problems?

Thanks for the help.

wadekainer
Oct 16, 1999, 01:49 AM

I was having a similar problem on my office machine with the Cyrillic Language Kit. Strangely enough, what ended up solving it was changing themes and turning off the sounds for themes from the Appearance panel. Never figured out exactly why it made any difference.

rph
Oct 18, 1999, 04:00 AM

Have you tried using the Language Register to register the application to Japanese? Sometimes the apps are made for the local systems so they just take on the language of whatever's there.

You have to set the Register to Japanese and quit, before you can drop the app on it to register it. Don't know why it's that way.

dklaproth  (op)
Oct 19, 1999, 12:45 AM

Thanks to all the replies! I got it working. I went ahead and did a clean install and then re-installed all the software. It's now working fine.
As far as I could tell, the old Language kit was causing havoc with all the new stuff.
Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules