Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Switching team...

Switching team...
SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 08:20 PM

Team MacNN doesn't really care about Folding, we will drop out of the top 100 within one month. That is the trigger for me to move to a more active team. BOINC doesn't do it for me, and other mac teams need help (a lot of help, there have been extremely busy new player in Folding with the GPU and PS3 clients). I am all for the survival of several mac teams in the top 100, sadly, MacNN isn't one of them, and actually a year from now, there might be only one left. The fact that there isn't even a mention of TeamMacNN on the front page was a huge sign a while ago that the powers to be here don't care.

Thanks for all the good work on the fantastic stats, although they still stay incomplete for Folding (no team ranks ladder).

Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 09:55 PM

I think I did a few proteins for folding way back when it started up with an old iMac Rev D but it never excited me.

I am a staunch SETI person through and through.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2008, 03:39 PM

I still care . I was off the grid for a while, but I'm back and crunching hard. Bonic is too much hassle to deal with for me. I still think Team MacNN could be a folding powerhouse. But there are only a few of us left, maybe my few K a day would be better spent at Team MacOS X. But I've been with Team MacNN so long......I need a drink.
( Last edited by macdude22; Aug 1, 2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling)
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man."

reader50
Administrator
Aug 1, 2008, 09:39 PM

I crunched Folding more often than any other project, but my spare electric budget has been going to the team server(s) since they moved to my place.

I'd crunch some in the background anyway, if it weren't so hot right now.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2008, 09:42 PM

I'm moving to a larger place soon where I'll have a room to my own (I currently share an "office" with the wife) and I'm hoping to break out a couple more machines from storage to crunch folding. I'm hoping to break 6K points a day in the next couple of months. Since it's muh own tech haven the wife can't yell at me, even with my new affixiation with HAM Radio and Board Games taking up more storage space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2008, 04:03 AM

Well, I can say bartman10 is sure tearing it the eff up.

macdude22
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2008, 09:16 PM

DamnB he sure is. I don't know if I've got the cashe to build up race him in the standings. I've had some issues getting all my machines back up to speed. My macpro didn't take to 6.20 very well for some reason and didn't crunch the whole friggin time I was in Vegas leaving my imac to do the heavy lifting.

SciFrog  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2008, 11:35 PM

Nice to see more power coming to the team, but still, MacNN will drop off the top 100 within the month...
Please join Team MacNN BOINC and Folding teams!
No more wasted CPU cycles!

macdude22
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2008, 10:27 AM

After I move I'm going to throw together a folding machine consisting of a

KPC 775 barebone kit
Pentium E2180
1 GB Ram
Slax linux off a flash drive

I can build this for around 150 and the KPC box is small so I'm going to see if I can shore up my folding a bit. I've been with Team Macnn for so long, I don't think I have the heart to go anywhere else.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2008, 08:25 PM

After the Web stats box went down, my latest electric bill did too -- and more than I had expected it to. So last night I researched the savings some more, and ordered a high-efficiency PS for the remaining DB box. With free shipping and a $30 rebate, the total price came to $30 - it will pay for itself within a year.

I'll still wait for things to cool down some, but crunching will resume here. Folding and Einstein were my common projects based on the high level of optimized PPC clients available.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2008, 09:25 PM

I just starting folding again and with some upgraded hardware. Thanks for noticing subego. I had been running 2 Climate Prediction runs for the last 3-4 months straight on my computer and I wanted to let them finish. I also had a video card go bad, but this is a good thing. I had 2 EVGA 7900GT's in SLI. Well one went bad, they don't stock those older cards so they upgraded me to dual 8800GTS's!!

I'm running 2 GPU folding clients now 24h when I'm not using my computer. These 8800GTS's kick out some crazy points! You can buy them for like less than $90 used. You could build a crazy crunching machine for cheep! They are also fast as hell! One of them is faster than both my 7900GT's in SLI.

So if your thinking of upgrading your video card, or if you don't really care about video but want to crunch more do it man and run the GPU client!

Bartman10
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2008, 09:27 PM

And like reader50 is noticing. If you don't have a +80% power supply GET ONE!! They are well worth it and will pay for them selves in electric savings quickly! You don't understand how inefficient many power supplies are until you look it up. www.hardocp.com did some studies way back and I was shocked to see some where less than 60%!!

Oh, and I have that earthwatts powersupply and it rocks! Doing 2 hard drives, dual core overclocked, and 2 8800GTS's with no problem. power is still good on all rails!
iBook G3-900

reader50
Administrator
Aug 19, 2008, 02:12 AM

Just swapped the power supply in the DB box.

Old - Antec SmartPower 300W - 96 Watts @ idle
New - Antec EarthWatts 430W - 78 Watts @ idle

Savings of 18W, probably 25W or better under load. Estimated savings over time: 184 KWH per year or 15.3 KWH per month. Looks like it will take closer to 1.5-2 years to pay for itself.

Assuming the Earthwatts is running at 81% efficiency, then the old PS was doing 66% efficiency under idle load.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2008, 10:54 PM

What do the numbers look like under load? I seem to remember the bad supplies getting even worse numbers under load.

Bart
iBook G3-900

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2008, 11:19 PM

I'm all about Folding, but I much prefer allocating CPU downtime to the LHC myself. Higgs boson baby!
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

reader50
Administrator
Aug 19, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by bartman00 View Post
What do the numbers look like under load? I seem to remember the bad supplies getting even worse numbers under load.
Hard to say, it's a server so I can't just throw a client on the box, or fire up a game. The ammeter jigged up 10-20 watts a few times on the new PS, then settled back down. No measurements were taken on the old PS before the swap, except the idle load.

The box has CPU + motherboard, 3 HDs, 3 fans, RAID card, ethernet card, cheapo graphics card. Most of those don't go up with CPU load, so I'm guessing full load is just 50% higher than idle. I did not observe it going that high while the meter was present.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 22, 2008, 12:30 PM

Wow, the team has massively sunk in folding. Here's a little something to help.

We need a few of these:
http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...gpu2-farm.html

Unfortunately I have no video cards capable of running the client, nor the cash to get one.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Aug 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2008, 03:15 PM

Scott,

For some reason the linked thread is gone, but searching around the folding forum there is quite interesting. Unfortunately they do not seam to have a Mac Client for this yet and I really want to keep my Hackintosh from running windows as much as possible. Still think a 8800gt card is one for the wish list though.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 23, 2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by BTBlomberg View Post
Scott,

For some reason the linked thread is gone, but searching around the folding forum there is quite interesting. Unfortunately they do not seam to have a Mac Client for this yet and I really want to keep my Hackintosh from running windows as much as possible. Still think a 8800gt card is one for the wish list though.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/13/5...00-points-day/ is a news article about the linked thread.

Too bad, all my PC needs is a new video card (7900GT is in it now) to run the graphics client. Oh well.
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2008, 10:41 AM

I put out around 10k points this weekend, with a few more to come as the boxes finish up their last WU.
My website

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 14, 2008, 12:49 AM

I bought a new video card for the purpose of running the GPU client.
My website

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2008, 02:54 AM

I'm not on any team, but I haven't seen Scott post in a long time so I am just here saying hi!
Would my MDD even make a difference?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules