Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recommendation needed for difficult backup solution

Recommendation needed for difficult backup solution
alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 08:29 PM

I have three computers in my home, each containing important files that need to be backed up. I am considering Time Machine to an external USB drive on my Airport Extreme, but the last time I tried this, my internet connection on each machine went out for about five minutes after waking from sleep while the Time Machine backup updated. I currently have two external hard drives I can use (1 TB and 500 GB) and I'm open to buying new devices, if necessary. I would, however, like to minimize the clutter and not stick hard drives at each machine unless they are unobtrusive and small.

My house is entirely wireless, so network drives must be wireless to connect to each computer.

Any ideas? Or am I stuck with a drive at each machine?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 08:53 PM

You can backup as many Macs as you like on the same drive with Time Machine, so as long as the drive has enough space there is no real need for a separate drive for each.

Are all your Macs using 802.11n or are you using a mixed network? Do you have a cordless telephone in the house causing interference with your wireless network perhaps?

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2010, 09:24 PM

How often do your Macs go to sleep? An alternate solution would be to setup a wake schedule for something like 10-15 minutes before you'd need to use them or your network.

Or I suppose you could try ipfw rules to limit Time Machine's bandwidth. I don't know what port(s) it uses though. mac | Limit bandwidth in Mac OS X using ipfw | macfidelity

Forum Links
Forum Rules