Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > After clean install: connecting iPhone to iTunes, will I lose iPhone contents?

After clean install: connecting iPhone to iTunes, will I lose iPhone contents?
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2010, 08:36 PM

Just did a clean install of Snow Leopard on my MacBook. When I connect my iPhone to the new iTunes, what do I have to do to make certain I don't wipe my iPhone?

Don't want to lose contacts, SMS messages, settings, etc.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2010, 12:09 AM

Just restore the iTunes media folder from a backup and you should be fine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

C-Bear  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Just restore the iTunes media folder from a backup and you should be fine.
I might be misunderstanding you; it's not my iTunes folder I'm concerned about, but what's on my iPhone.

I think I found my answer (took a while) at Apple support. Regarding syncing:

The first time you sync your device, you are asked if you want to merge data, replace data on the device, or replace the data on your computer. When you choose to merge information, any differences between the data will be mingled together. If you choose to replace information, information from either the computer or device will overwrite the information on the other. These options can not be undone. After that, anytime you connect your device to your computer, iTunes opens and syncs with your device according to the settings in iTunes.

So you can retain and transfer iPhone content to a freshly instaaled iTunes, but only at the inaugural link.
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

savvy.gaile
Baninated
Nov 6, 2010, 10:57 AM

I think you need to check your iTunes settings to make sure that the data in your iPhone would not be lost.

lssdrbrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2011, 03:47 PM

In iTunes there's a setting to prevent automatic sync, which then enables you to choose manual or automatic settings during a sync ...

Open iTunes (*without* your iPhone connected), go to "preferences", choose "devices", and put a check in the box next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically" ... then when you sync your iPhone with iTunes next time go under each tab for your device and make sure the sync options are set to manual.

I'm currently using iTunes 10, but I just checked another computer which has iTunes 8 on it, and there's a "disable automatic syncing" option in the device preferences there as well.

Hope this is helpful!

Forum Links
Forum Rules