Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > College aged kids wearing shorts outside in the winter

College aged kids wearing shorts outside in the winter
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 01:28 AM

I don't know if this is a fad, just a weird thing that happens around here, or what, but for the last few winters we've seen college aged boys walking around outside on cold winter days (below the freezing point) with shorts on.

What's up with that? Do people in your area do this? Is it indeed some sort of trend?

reader50
Administrator
Dec 3, 2010, 01:45 AM

Was this in front of the sorority houses?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 02:31 AM

Nope, this is a college town but I see these guys all over town.

Girls also under dress and make up for this with carrying blankies around with them, but it's a little less blatant than shorts in the snow.

If this is a fashion/being sexy sort of thing I know that putting yourself in discomfort is nothing new, but it's hard to see what is cool and appealing about this.

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 02:47 AM

Sounds like spring in Canada... not unusual to see someone walk around in a shirt with no jacket in -10 C weather.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Sounds like spring in Canada... not unusual to see someone walk around in a shirt with no jacket in -10 C weather.

What age group?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 03:41 AM

I once wore a long sleeve t-shirt, board shorts, and flip flops to get Chinese take out from a restaurant in Omaha. It was about 39ºF and slightly raining. Just too lazy to put on appropriate clothing.

Yeah, got some stares from the local folk.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 3, 2010, 07:38 AM

I've seen medical school students doing something similar-shorts and sandals (usually flip-flops) in what is extremely cold weather for here (under 40ºF). I am not sure where this sort of thing came from. On the other hand, when I was under 20 I would ski in jeans and a parka...my legs didn't seem to be uncomfortably cold when I did this.

What is more curious to me is the preponderance of girls who wear flip-flops and often shorts but who also wear anything from long-sleeved hoodies to heavy winter coats at the same time. Sometimes around here you can see this in very mild temperatures, just somewhat under 70ºF, but when it's much colder you still see it... By "girls" I'm speaking of young women under 24 or so who act like they're still in high school.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 08:31 AM

i wear shorts all year round; 'cept for work and dress up occasions. obviously i dress as needed if i'm out shoveling snow or filling up the truck with gas or taking a long trip, etc.

but the rest of the time, like going out to eat, grocery shopping, going to the movies, whatever...shorts.

i'm talking Michigan weather here folks. it's not odd to me and i'm not the only one i see doing it. i am NOT college age either.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't know if this is a fad, just a weird thing that happens around here, or what, but for the last few winters we've seen college aged boys walking around outside on cold winter days (below the freezing point) with shorts on.
Did you shout at them to get off your lawn from your front porch? Maybe get a little fist shakin' action in there, too?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 09:36 AM

I've seen this sort of behavior at Cornell U. It's negative 300 degrees outside and the kids are running around in shorts. Then when spring comes and things warm up, they wear wool hats and gloves. By the time summer rolls around, they're all dressed in arctic parkas. I don't understand the world anymore.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2010, 09:42 AM

What's up with that? Do people in your area do this? Is it indeed some sort of trend?
I saw it plenty in school, it was typically awkward guys doing it to get attention. Hmmm... an awkward nerd being an attention whore? Sounds familiar.

edit: The thread title should have been "Part #3263 of besson's 'I don't get it' threads."

alligator
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 09:50 AM

It comes down to laziness and people not taking any pride in the way they dress. If they cared about how they presented themselves to the world, maybe the quality of our lives would improve a little.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 3, 2010, 10:03 AM

This thread comes off with all the grace and subtlety of the fictional parents from 90s Apple Jacks commercials, who would frequently inquire, " Why do you kids eat Apple Jacks" as if the answer ****ing matters.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:32 AM

I prefer Samuel Jackson as a teen in that old Coco Puffs commercial: "I'm ****ing cuckoo for ****ing Coco Puffs, mother****er!"
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 10:36 AM

Kids and their newfangled knickerbockers.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This thread comes off with all the grace and subtlety of the fictional parents from 90s Apple Jacks commercials, who would frequently inquire, " Why do you kids eat Apple Jacks" as if the answer ****ing matters.
BUT THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE APPLES! allcaps

Mom and Dad are such dorks! They just don't get us!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 12:07 PM

I wear shorts year round but I do wear a couple layers up top. As long as I keep my core warm, I'm fine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 01:17 PM

I did this in college, in a Chicago winter no less.

The recipe is: home to garage to parking garage to indoors.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2010, 01:18 PM

This is definitely not a new phenomenon. I can recall seeing this way back in my college days. There were those on campus for whom the following rule seemed to apply ....

If the sun is shining .... wear shorts. Temperature is totally irrelevant.

I found it to be rather strange then as I do now. But if they like it ... I love it.

OAW

FireWire
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2010, 04:27 PM

I see this from time to time in downtown Montréal, but I assumed those people were using the "Underground city" and thus didn't need to dress for winter.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Did you shout at them to get off your lawn from your front porch? Maybe get a little fist shakin' action in there, too?

I yelled at them for inflating health care costs by them getting hypothermia because they think they are cool.

Actually, no I didn't.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 3, 2010, 06:48 PM

It's safe to say they *are* cool. More so than most people.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2010, 07:27 PM

I see that all the time here, but people of all ages do it. There will be snow on the ground and folks will be wearing sandals.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2010, 07:59 PM

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2010, 08:44 PM

How old are you again? You seem to make a lot of observations that make me think you are some sort of hermit.

This "trend" isn't really a trend. Its common practice and as far as I can tell a long standing one. High school kids do it a lot too going to and from athletic practices or games. Post collegiate people also do it when running errands within walking distance from their homes. Its mostly related to coming from a non formal or non professional location and heading to a likewise casual destination such as class, 7-11, or the gym.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

hayesk
Dec 4, 2010, 12:03 PM

Yeah, I think it's funny that it would be a trend. I wore shorts when I was in college twenty years ago.

Shorts are comfortable, so people wear them, it's that simple.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 02:48 PM

I do that all the time when I go the climbing gym in the dead of winter, even if it's below 0C (or < 32F). I can't be bothered to take a change of clothes, and I'm only outside for minutes at most (since I drive there).

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 06:26 PM

I can't help thinking that the gym thing doesn't account for all of these instances I've seen, particularly those that are nowhere close to a gym.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 01:42 AM

I wear shorts in the winter. Sue me.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 02:01 PM

I can't help thinking that the gym thing doesn't account for all of these instances I've seen, particularly those that are nowhere close to a gym.
I already gave you the reason.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 06:59 PM

He already ignored the reason.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 07:07 PM

Actually, Laminar's attention whore theory makes the most sense, but he was kind of a dick about it, so maybe I don't want to give him the credit, mkay?

Take that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2010, 07:23 PM

I can understand that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules