Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro hard drives

Mac Pro hard drives
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2010, 04:11 AM

One of our Mac Pro's at work is being very weird, and won't boot up. I've taken the hard drive out from its slot 1 and tried to put it into my drive slot 2, but it doesn't seem to push in to the very last stage to sit flush with the other caddys.

The sick Mac Pro is a 2.8GHz, between 18 months and 2 years old, my Mac Pro is a 2.66Ghz, about a year old. I know that mine is a newer model, as we couldn't get the identical spec when it was ordered, I think the new (current?) models had just been released. Are the hard drive connections different between these models, I've looked around and it can only find info saying they are both 3Gb SATA connections.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 09:13 AM

Not gospel, but I'm thinking the drives should be identical.
Maybe the caddies are slightly different? Put the old drive into one of your caddies?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 15, 2010, 02:55 PM

Wiggle the drive just a bit to help seat it on the connector. It should slide into place without excessive force.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2010, 12:39 AM

How far does it get? Does it post?(ie Chime).

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

Not tried since, we're not transferring the drive anymore. It got less than 1/4" from being flush, i was thinking it was the depth of the connector plug. Replacing the drives in their original slots, both went back in with no problems.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules