Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is there a way to tell if your logicboard has been repaired?

Is there a way to tell if your logicboard has been repaired?
skalie
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2004, 07:37 AM

My iBook showed a lot of the classic logicboard failure symptoms, so I sent it off.

The local dealer sent it to Apple Nederland who sent it off to Ireland.

The message was, the LCD is kaput, 300 euro for the repair. I said no thanks.

It arrived back after four weeks, I turn it on at the dealers, it's working perfectly.

I dared shut it off again today, to install the extra ram and it's airport card, and once again, works fine.

I shall be ringing Apple in two weeks after the holidays (from work as opposed to on my mobile), but the question is nagging me as to whether they actually replaced the logicboard. Would that repair be logged somewhere in the iBook?

(iBook 600 mhz, Panther)

rytc
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by skalie:
My iBook showed a lot of the classic logicboard failure symptoms, so I sent it off.

The local dealer sent it to Apple Nederland who sent it off to Ireland.

The message was, the LCD is kaput, 300 euro for the repair. I said no thanks.

It arrived back after four weeks, I turn it on at the dealers, it's working perfectly.

I dared shut it off again today, to install the extra ram and it's airport card, and once again, works fine.

I shall be ringing Apple in two weeks after the holidays (from work as opposed to on my mobile), but the question is nagging me as to whether they actually replaced the logicboard. Would that repair be logged somewhere in the iBook?

(iBook 600 mhz, Panther)
Doubt it would be logged on the laptop, and I'd doubt Apple were that incompetent that they'd repair without having your permission. More likely you're just lucky, the laptop has come back to life perhaps? Just hope not temporarily.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 05:00 AM

Well actually they had my full permission to repair the logicboard, the iBook was exhibiting symptoms as shown at the top of this page (in Netherlands unfortunately, the third post is in English and pertinent however)....

http://www.macosx.nl/?p=showarticle&art_id=1249

The Apple reseller put "faulty screen" on the problem discription, having never seen anything like it before, which I am not 100% gratefull for, having said "logicboard, logicboard, logicboard".

That particular reseller also said to me "There it goes again" when the screen dimmed, as in battery saving mode, while I going, "there's nothing wrong with that LCD, look".

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by rytc:
Doubt it would be logged on the laptop, and I'd doubt Apple were that incompetent that they'd repair without having your permission. More likely you're just lucky, the laptop has come back to life perhaps? Just hope not temporarily.
Ah yes, the rare Lazarus Book. Also know as the lBook.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 09:59 AM

Speaking of comebacks, this very same iBook had a dead battery (as in charge = 0) for months, then all of a sudden it bounced back and has been holding a reasonable charge ever since.

That couldn't also be attributed to a sometimes faulty logicboard could it?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 10:23 AM

If the logic board really was fried, then they would likely fix it by replacing the entire thing. It's usually more trouble than its worth to repair those, especially with you waiting at the other end.

When I got my iBook logic board replaced, I was able to tell because the Ethernet ID changed (the ethernet chip is hard-wired into the logic board, after all). If you lift the keyboard up and out of the unit, there's a place where the serial number and ethernet ID of the unit are printed. When I got my iBook back from the repair, there was a sticker in that place that had the new Ethernet ID on it.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 10:50 AM

Thanks dreilly1, that was the sort of clue I was looking for, although the Ethernet sticker looks to be of the same vintage as the ibook, and trying to peel it off to look under it is only damaging it.

The systems admin at work will probably be able to tell me if that address has changed however.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 10:59 AM

Thanks dreilly1, that was the sort of clue I was looking for, although the Ethernet sticker looks to be of the same vintage as the ibook, and trying to peel it off to look under it is only damaging it.

The systems admin at work will probably be able to tell me if that address has changed however.
The sticker that I noticed was covering only the Ethernet ID portion of that area, and it was pretty obvious that there was a sticker there on top of whatever was there before. It was also pretty obvious that the new sticker did not cover the serial number, and I even think the new sticker used a slightly different font for the readable part. (I don't have my iBook with me to check....)

Of course, I got my iBook repaired in the US, Europe may be different.

Also, in case you didn't know, the Ethernet ID and the IP address are different. The Ethernet ID is hard-wired into the ethernet chip. It's possible that your IT guys have some log somewhere with your old Ethernet ID in it, but it's just as likely that all those records got purged in the month or so that your iBook was away...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 11:21 AM

(in Netherlands unfortunately, the third post is in English and pertinent however)....
Dutch

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
It's possible that your IT guys have some log somewhere with your old Ethernet ID in it, but it's just as likely that all those records got purged in the month or so that your iBook was away...
Or don't have the time or inclination to look into it more likely, windows network, haven't been able to give them a convincing enough reason yet for them to set up wireless for me. ( using the iBook at work for cross platform compatability issues ).

And, yes, I kind of figured that my IP address hadn't been hard wired to my logicboard.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2004, 01:46 PM

Actually; Ethernet ID is not the proper term; you are thinking of the MAC Address, or Media Access Control.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 01:55 PM

I hesitated using "mac address" on this particular forum, um, er, a logicboard is really motherboard or not?

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 02:03 PM

I think Apple actually calls it the Ethernet ID (instead of MAC address) in System Profiler and on those stickers under the keyboard, for reasons which I think are obvious...

And Apple calls the main motherboard the "logic board". Why? Perhaps it's the gender-neutral PC term?

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2004, 02:27 PM

Yes, very politically correct.

james_squared
Aug 3, 2004, 05:18 PM

Hello,

If the logicboard has been replaced then you SHOULD NOT be able to see a serial number under "About This Mac." At least that's what Apple told me when I asked them, "Where's my Serial Number?" Under 10.3, it just shows, "Serial Number" for the Serial Number and I think it was just a blank under 10.2, if I recall correctly.

James

natan
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by james_squared:
Hello,

If the logicboard has been replaced then you SHOULD NOT be able to see a serial number under "About This Mac." At least that's what Apple told me when I asked them, "Where's my Serial Number?" Under 10.3, it just shows, "Serial Number" for the Serial Number and I think it was just a blank under 10.2, if I recall correctly.

James
Hm, that's not the case for me. I'm on my third G3/700 motherboard, and it still (and always has) shown my correct serial number in the About box of 10.2 and 10.3.

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 02:40 AM

er, no serial number here, but then I can't remember if I had one before under OSX 10.1 ( the problems started during the upgrade to Panther )

skalie  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 05:12 AM

Well, rang Apple, they couldn't tell me if the logicboard had been repaired, or more to the point, had no indication that it had been, so maybe I just got lucky.

What was interesting was though, the LCD repair was quoted as �132 not �300 as the shop had said.

mmmmmmmm

This was the same shop that was told by an acquantance

"Hey you're selling that second-hand computer at more than it's new price"

"Yes I know" was the reply.

Will be dealing directly with the Apple helpdesk next time for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules