Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod Headphones

iPod Headphones
CaptianScooby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 09:14 PM

Question .... I am considering the following earphones:

Etymotic ER-6 Isolator Earphones
Shure E3c
Shure E2c
&
Etymotic ER-4

Has anyone used any of these. They are all pretty expensive so I want good reports on either one before i buy. Thanks

I cannot stand the ones that come with the iPod (sorry) and i want in-ear headphones.

ender2002
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 09:39 PM

wait for the 6's, comming soon.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 12:12 AM

I own all of the SHURE in-ear's, and they are awesome.

I love them all, but the E3c is white so it'd match the iPod.

finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2004, 04:23 PM

Yes I agree with the last post. I have the Ec3's. They are excellent. I prefer then to the Bose or Sony noise cancelling. And of course they match the ipod!!! I think that 9/10 people would not notice the difference between the sound quality of these and and the Ec6. Is it worth the extra cash? I don't think so....

CaptianScooby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 11:33 PM

so should I go with the shure EC-3's or the etymotic ER-6i's?

noble_mike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 11:15 AM

I will go with the shure EC-3's, they are outstanding.
Have you seen the Sharp HP-MD33? They are not bad too.

JeffHarris
Aug 17, 2004, 03:46 PM

I've got a pair of Etymotic ER-4S earphones. Simply put, they're excellent!
I've had a pair for several years and ue them with my PowerBook, a portable CD player and an iPod. If you use a PowerBook, check out the Echo Indigo PC Card 24/96 D/A converter.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Ca...digo/index.php

Back to the Etymotics...
The sound is uncolored and flat, so you'll have less headphone fatigue.

The fact that they cut about 25db of ambient noise makes them perfect for situations like flying or riding buses, subways or trains where there's a lot of outside noise. It's unnecessary to crank the volume to hear the music and contribute to hearing damage over time. Plus you can actually hear nuances in the music.

I listen to mainly classical, jazz and so-called "world" music. They're perfect for music with a wide dynamic range and with non-amplified instruments and voices. The Etymotics ARE expensive, but they're well worth the expense and worlds beyond the crappy iPod earbuds!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 04:21 PM

If price is really an issue, pick up a pair of Sony MDR-EX71's for about $35. They're a pretty nice pair of in-ear headphones, and Sony just released a white version if you really care that your headphones match your iPod. The only problem is that they were engineered by a moron: the split to go to each ear is off-center, causing the weight of the rest of the cord to pull entirely on the left ear. The cord is also ridiculously short (18", I think), requiring you to use either the included extension cable or a remote.

But all of that is okay since they sound awesome. They use the same 9mm driver as Apple's in-ears, but I've tried them both and they make Apple's sound like trash. Their frequency response is 6-23,000 Hz, even wider than my other headphones, which are Sennheiser EH2270s. They sound a lot washier than the Sennheisers though. Too much bass too.

This is just me, but for portable headphones I'd probably recommend the MDR-EX71s over the Shures or Etymotics. The latter just seem like overkill, and when I'm out and about I probably wouldn't notice the difference. And if I were getting high-end headphones for listening at home I wouldn't be getting in-ears in the first place. For my listening habits, a pair of MDR-EX71s for the road and a set of nicer cans for home are ideal.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 04:26 PM

I have a pair of the etymotic er-6. Simply put, awesome...

I've had them almost a year now, commuting on loud subways from brooklyn. They feel like you're underwater, drowning out all the screeches and crying babies. The sound, like previously stated is flat, which means it's consistent through the spectrum, which is a good thing.

I've recommended them to a couple friends who love them as well. BTW, you can find them on ebay for under a hundred bucks.

The white ones recently announced are exactly the same just white, so you can pretend you're cool and thieves know that you have an iPod so they can rip you off more efficiently.

-c

timzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 04:28 PM

I'd second the opinion about the Sony MDR-EX71SLBs - they're the only ear-bud style 'phones I've ever been able to keep in my ears for any length of time, and the sound quality is excellent as far as my dodgy hearing is concerned. I've not found cable length to be a problem - it's short enough to to use with the remote if it's clipped to an inside pocket or something, and the extension cable's long enough to keep the iPod in a bag or a jacket pocket.

If you're having problems with the off-centre cord pulling down on the LH bud, take the shirtclip off a Nokia hands-free headset and use that to clip the cable to a collar or something - it takes the weight off the phones and stops them flapping around too much. The cables are about the same size, so the clip from the branded Nokia headset fits perfectly.

The killer advantage of in-ear buds as far as I can see is that noone is every going to want to steal them - they get so coated in wax and gunk that noone in their right mind would want to use someone elses...

mbanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 04:34 PM

Well, I've had my er-4p's for about 2 years (and coveted them and/or the 4s's for a few years prior) and love them. I've taken them on literally 150+ flights (a dozen countries or so) and can honestly say they - with my 2G 20gb ipod - have helped save my sanity (assuming its still there...). They sound wonderful. They reduce external noise to nearly nothing even without music. They are the ultimate airplane headphone. I wouldn't jog in the headphones though (so your intended use is kinda important.) They isolate too much for that and they would annoy you as they tend to transmit noise from the cables "banging" against your body than other headphones, but I have some cheap sony phones for jogging.

The phones themselves sound incredible (the 4s's are supposedly underpowered from an ipod, but:
a) I don't own any, nor do I have the conversion adapter, so I can't comment on that, and b) you'll find a lot of people who disagree with the initial statement, so YMMV...
c) in situations where you have greater power - like a nice home stereo or a headphone amp - available to you, 4s's will sound better. ) I can't say much more about sound quality other than they just sound great, and you won't find a headphone that sounds THAT much better - if at all - anywhere.

It's so nice to be able to not care at all if there is a screaming baby/babbling passenger next to you on a flight.

The only drawback is that they take getting used to (as to all deep in ear headphones. If you can wear earplugs for long periods of time, you can get used to these.

Just my 2� on the matter

natan
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 04:34 PM

I've enjoyed my Shure E2c's a lot since I purchased them a few months ago. Until getting my 4G 40gb iPod last week (which sounds *great* with them, by the way) I used them with my iBook for a good few months. The E2c's were so detailed that I was easily able to hear all the previously unheard noise in the iBook's sound output. =P

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:47 PM

Anyone got or tried Skullcandy Link headphones with the splitter cable and handsfree microphone for your phone?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
If price is really an issue, pick up a pair of Sony MDR-EX71's for about $35. They're a pretty nice pair of in-ear headphones, and Sony just released a white version if you really care that your headphones match your iPod. The only problem is that they were engineered by a moron: the split to go to each ear is off-center, causing the weight of the rest of the cord to pull entirely on the left ear. The cord is also ridiculously short (18", I think), requiring you to use either the included extension cable or a remote.
Yeah, I bought these when they first came out and was surprised by the stupid design. I use them to workout, so I need the extension so I can put my iPod around the waist. The extension connection weights a few grams, but it's just enough that when you're running, it'll rip out of your ear. Solution: athletic tape. I just tape the connection to my chest when I'm working out/running so that they're lighjt again. I am actually thinking about cutting off the connections and soldering them together.

cantona7
Aug 17, 2004, 05:51 PM

The only problem is that they were engineered by a moron: the split to go to each ear is off-center, causing the weight of the rest of the cord to pull entirely on the left ear.
sorry but maybe i'm missing something ear (sorry.. i mean here). the reason the cord is designed that way is so that the long part of the cord is meant to wrap around the back of your neck and then into the ear.

anyway, i don't like the sony's much. the e3c's are pretty good. i've been using them for a while and i like them. the fit is a bit awkward at first. the only good fit i get from them is using the yellow foam pieces. bass is a the only disappointing bit for me though.

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 05:58 PM

I can recommend a pair of Bang & Oulfsen A8 earphones, especially for people who exercise. They have an unusual design, with a bracket that wraps around the top of the ear holding the earphone in place. The sound quality is great too. Superbly detailed treble response, and a nicely rounded bass (which makes a refreshing change from the muddy, over-emphasized bass found on some of the cheaper in-ear models). They are eye-catching too but I wish they came in white

They retail in B&O stores for about $170 but for some reason are much cheaper in Asia. There are always good deals to be found on Ebay with A8's reguarly selling for sub $100.
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by robrandtoul:
I can recommend a pair of Bang & Oulfsen A8 earphones, especially for people who exercise. They have an unusual design, with a bracket that wraps around the top of the ear holding the earphone in place. The sound quality is great too. Superbly detailed treble response, and a nicely rounded bass (which makes a refreshing change from the muddy, over-emphasized bass found on some of the cheaper in-ear models). They are eye-catching too but I wish they came in white

They retail in B&O stores for about $170 but for some reason are much cheaper in Asia. There are always good deals to be found on Ebay with A8's reguarly selling for sub $100.
I can second that. I've got a pair of B&O A8s I found for cheap at a car boot sale of all places. They sound excellent, are very comfortable and look like jewellery

-mrwalker

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by cantona7:
sorry but maybe i'm missing something ear (sorry.. i mean here). the reason the cord is designed that way is so that the long part of the cord is meant to wrap around the back of your neck and then into the ear.
Hmm... I'll have to try that next time I wear them. But even so, they'll still be heavier on the left ear and will still require the extension cable.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 07:31 PM

the etymotic er6's dont have a very wide frequency response (up to 16Khz). Im no expert but Im pretty sure thats bad

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 07:42 PM

Hmm... I'll have to try that next time I wear them. But even so, they'll still be heavier on the left ear and will still require the extension cable.
Not sure about the extension part, but the weight falls on the neck, evening it out.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by _?_:
Not sure about the extension part, but the weight falls on the neck, evening it out.
I was just trying them out a second ago. Having them behind the neck makes no difference as far as weight is concerned.

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 08:54 PM

You must have a deformed neck, or else maybe I have "evolved"!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2004, 10:03 PM

You must have a deformed neck, or else maybe I have "evolved"!

I was about to say the same about you.

hammck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 11:17 PM

go to headphone.com for all your headphone needs. I got a pair of etymotic and they're fantastic. Then got a wee headphone amp and now simply awesome...you won't regret it if your serious bout sound. It's worth the dosh...

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by mrwalker:
I can second that. I've got a pair of B&O A8s I found for cheap at a car boot sale of all places. They sound excellent, are very comfortable and look like jewellery

-mrwalker
Car boot sale?

Er, translation please. You mean some dude who was hocking hot wares out of the back of his car?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

hab
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 11:51 AM

Yeah, well, after I bought my MDR-EX71 earphones, I was bummed to find this crazy short cord with connector because of the reasons you have stated. I also found the case to be pretty cheesy for a $50 (at the time) pair of earphones. However, I now find that I wear my iPod on my belt and clip the iPod remote on my shirt or jacket front. I find that the short cord is the perfect length to plug into the remote at that spot. The wrap around the neck design makes it easy to take the earphones out and let them hang unobtrusively, say at the coffee shop to do business. Then I can pop the phones back in and hit play on the remote and I am out the door with music in my head.

I now love these phones. I ain't going back.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 04:56 PM

Not quite. the left earbud carries the entire weight of the extension connection. the cord for the right earbud goes around the back of the neck so you can take them out and easily put them back in (they'll fall to the front of your shoulders). the weight of the connection isn't much of a hassle for walking/everyday stuff, but when you use them at the gym it's a pain. I wish they had optional wraps that would go around the back of your ear to keep them on better.

edit: this is a pretty dorky thread.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by digiology2:
the etymotic er6's dont have a very wide frequency response (up to 16Khz). Im no expert but Im pretty sure thats bad
You're obviously no expert

Etymotics are excellent headphones, and they cover a very good range. They may attenuate over 16 khz, but then again MP3s and AAC files strip it all out, too -- you can't hear it because the ear isn't sensitive in that range.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2004, 03:24 PM

if you get the ER-4P/S, you will want to get a good amp and a portable line out for the iPod. the current amp favorite among many ipod using audiophiles is the Xin SuperDual, which has been discontinued. the forthcoming SuperMono will be even better, and will be $200. it will be out in a couple months, i believe. in terms of the ER-4P/S, i would suggest getting the ER-4P, as the SuperMono will have a resistor built in for the ER-4P to ER-4S conversion. otherwise, you are going to want to get the ER-4P-S cable. i would suggest going through IDealSound for the etys. they are a great store and have great prices.

if you aren't willing to pay $400+ for sound, i would look at the Shure E2C, E3C or the forthcoming ety er-6i. the E2c's are great for portable use, though they are bass heavy and have rolled off high. i haven't heard the E3c, but they are generally considered to be inferior to the ER-4P. i really like my E2c (with a mod that is well documented at www.head-fi.org), but i plan on getting the ER-4P and the Xin SuperDual amp unless the er-6i ends up being a large step over the regular er-6. in any case, i will be getting an amp, with the Xin SuperMini (a small amp that gives great battery life) being the likely candidate if i go the er-6i route.

another canalphone to look at is the Westone UM2. it is a dual driver design similar to the Shure E5, but with an enhanced high end. they retail for $325, but you can get them for $275 on ebay, usually. they don't need an amp as much as the current Etys, but keep in mind that ALL headphones benefit from an amp. for more in depth advice, i would suggest checking out www.head-fi.org
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules