Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > PlexConnect lets non-jailbroken Apple TVs run Plex media server

PlexConnect lets non-jailbroken Apple TVs run Plex media server
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 5, 2013, 11:02 AM

A new hack dubbed PlexConnect allows the third-party Plex media server to run on second- and third-generation Apple TVs without jailbreaking, the creators of Plex say. The technique involves running a program on a computer which disguises itself as the Trailer app; changing a setting on the Apple TV is then all that's needed to put everything into motion. The Plex team notes that PlexConnect uses the latest transcoder, supports iTunes DRM, and can also handle AC3 5.1 sound when using the current preview release of Plex.

Until now the third-gen Apple TV has been off-limits to Plex because of obstacles to jailbreaking built into iOS 6, on which the Apple TV firmware is based. That created a problem for Plex users, since the model is the only one to support 1080p video.

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2013, 01:32 PM

I found Plex to be confusing to use and couldn't get anything to stream. Also finding media. It appears as if Plex needs its only library so my entire iTunes library is useless. To much to destroy just for Plex. When Plex can read my iTunes library and organize it in Plex, then I'll think about using it. But for now, it isn't worth doubling libraries which would take way more space than I have.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jun 5, 2013, 03:45 PM

I love Plex. Media server is running on my dedicated Mini on the plasma. Plus, I can stream anything in Plex to my iPad/Touch/iPhone. I never use iTunes so it's lack of integrating your library isn't an issue for me.

bdmarsh
Jun 5, 2013, 08:00 PM

iTunes for music (and the occasional kids show that I load directly on the iPad my daughter uses - if it is going to be out of the house), Plex for Movies & TV shows. Ripped my entire movie & TV show collection - pointed Plex to the 2 folders, it identified 98% of the content first try, have the computer able to connect to the TV for display, as well as more frequently streaming to iPad or iPhone (in or out of the house). (Plus plex handles more file formats... except iTunes video files which have DRM)

Forum Links
Forum Rules