Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Amazon Cloud Drive adds unlimited storage tier for $60 per year

Amazon Cloud Drive adds unlimited storage tier for $60 per year
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 26, 2015, 11:18 AM

Amazon is going after Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive, by offering customers unlimited cloud storage at a very low cost. The retailer is upgrading its existing Cloud Drive service by adding two more tiers for non-Prime subscribers, each providing unlimited storage of files and photographs, but with subscription prices that severely undercut the same offerings by its competitors.

The first plan, "Unlimited Photos," provides unlimited storage for photographs, along with the usual 5GB Cloud Drive storage for videos and other files, priced at $12 per year, though Prime users already receive this as part of their subscription. The "Unlimited Everything" plan expands this to cover all files, at a cost of $60 per year, though there does not appear to be a discount or bonus included in the package for Prime users. Both plans come with a three-month trial, giving users ample time to try out the service before paying.

Files stored on the service can be accessed from the desktop via a browser or a synchronization app, as well as through iOS and Android apps. The mobile apps also include a timeline layout for sorting through images, and automatic backups to Amazon's servers.

The pricing of the Unlimited Everything service is likely to be very attractive to consumers. By comparison, Dropbox offers 1TB of storage for $10 per month, but it does provide "as much storage as you need" under Dropbox for Business. Microsoft does have limited storage plans for OneDrive, though subscribers of Office 365 enjoy unlimited storage. Google Drive also offers discrete amounts of storage, with an unlimited option available in Google Drive for Work, priced at $10 per month.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 26, 2015 at 01:49 PM. )

Ham Sandwich
Mar 26, 2015, 11:37 AM

Youch, that's expensive.

I bet these companies would love to start charging for both bandwidth and storage...

BigJayhawk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2015, 11:45 AM

Except that from what I can see, their Desktop App is awful. They do not offer a SYNC anymore that would actually keep things up-to-date. This is really just an offline storage option to drop files into for uploads.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 26, 2015, 12:07 PM

Our OS X app reviewer, William Gallagher, is working on this right now. We'll let you know what we think shortly.

b9bot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2015, 12:49 PM

And I predict that within six months they will raise there rates extensively. I've subscribed to many cloud services with this really good deal and they have all raised there rates after only a few months. This is just a ploy to suck you in and then they will nail you with higher rates later and hope you will just stick with them. I have cancelled all of my cloud accounts every time they have done this to me. I don't think I will even try this offer knowing that later the same result will happen.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2015, 01:20 PM

b9bot: you might want to look at Copy.com, they offer a generous amount of free space to start (15GB or 20GB if you arrive via a referral) and allow you to increase that quite a bit by referring others (please note I am NOT referring you, just mentioning an alternative you may not have looked at). And their rates have not increased during the four years or so I've been with them, but then they are not the only cloud service I use.

Also, Apple's rates for iCloud are more likely to go down than up in coming years, so there's that as well.
( Last edited by Charles Martin; Mar 26, 2015 at 05:58 PM. )
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules