Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Lost

Lost (Page 4)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
That's a good theory. What do you think "him" is supposed to do?
I don't know. Replace/relieve him? Heal him?

I don't remember Desmond saying anything about Jack specifically. AFAICT, the key characters are Walt and Hurley. We all know Walt has some kind of crazy powers. Likewise, it looks like the plane crashed because Hurley was on board. Maybe the numbers ruined Desmond's life and 44 days ago he (or the island) did something to bring his replacement.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2005, 10:08 AM

judging by the hair etc, I'd say jack met desmond at the stadium, what, 5-6 years ago? Does that leave enough time for Jack to woo Sarah, marry her, and then somehow get divorced/widowed?

Just trying to figure out how long Desmond's been down there. Unless Jack was hallucinating that night in the stadium (which looked like harvard, btw). Is Jack from boston? With the red sox comment that seems likely.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 10:43 AM

Desmond has been there longer than 44 days. The scenes where you see all the marks on the wall, they were all covered with hashes -- many more than 44. 44 would have only been 8 hashes plus a few lines.

Anyone remember what kind of doctor Desmond said he was? I'm at work so I can't check out my copy...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
Here yo go:

Different logo, but a logo indeed.

Maury

For comparison...

Perhaps the swan in the logo differentiates Dharma employees/items from those without (like Trek original series chest patches): Swans are the caretakers. Or not.

As far as the numbers, my guess its a sector or area on the island. That's why the numbers are on the hatch, the serum Desmond shoots, and the numbers to enter into the workstation every 108 minutes. In Hurley's episode, those numbers were broadcast repeatedly, so perhaps something happened at that time to notify whomever that something was amiss at that area. Or not.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
judging by the hair etc, I'd say jack met desmond at the stadium, what, 5-6 years ago? Does that leave enough time for Jack to woo Sarah, marry her, and then somehow get divorced/widowed?

Just trying to figure out how long Desmond's been down there. Unless Jack was hallucinating that night in the stadium (which looked like harvard, btw). Is Jack from boston? With the red sox comment that seems likely.
5-6 years seems about right, though Desmond may be able to trim his own hair. All the furnishings in the hatch/apartment are pre-1980. Curious that no technology was refreshed. The mirrors are way cool; they need no power to run other than light. Speaking of power, I wonder if the source of magnetism is the power source. Is is natural to the island, or was it placed there?

Though I didn't recognize Harvard, Boston would make sense if LA is a layover/connecting airport to continue to Boston.

While for some this show moves too slowly, but I really enjoy it. Then again, I liked the pacing of Unbreakable.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:06 AM

Anyone remember what kind of doctor Desmond said he was? I'm at work so I can't check out my copy...

Maury
IIRC, Desmond said he was close to becoming a doctor.

Dude, it that capture in 1080? I am soooooooooooo jealous.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:32 AM

Did anyone else find last night's episode disappointing?

Locke-Kate-Jack rehash: unnecessary.
Michael backstory: uninteresting.
Michael-Sawyer-lost-at-sea: kind of boring.

Hopefully next week will make up for it; this week's was a poor tease.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:38 AM

dp.
( Last edited by Stradlater; Sep 29, 2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: dp)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:45 AM

For some reason Lost looks so good in widescreen high definition. The green colors on the island come out so well. I'm well happy every time i watch the show, makes the money i spent on my tv worth it

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stradlater

I think next week should be really interesting because we get to see the Others.

andi*pandi
Sep 29, 2005, 12:34 PM

I was a little annoyed with the backtracking... but as someone said on another board, maybe they originally intended for a 2hour premiere and had to cut it and re-order things. Agreed that the Walt flashbacks were repetitive, unless they're really trying to hammer something home for new viewers.

And about the hair... I meant Jacks hair, in the flashbacks was very 5 years ago style. Maybe older? I'm sure Desmond can cut his hair, he's got everything in that luxury hatch, I'm sure there's a flowbee somewhere.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 12:55 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Showing us the same events from a different perspective is a standard storytelling device, but I thought they executed it fantastically. For instance, if you go back and watch last week's episode, you can hear Kate yelling Jack's name under the Mama Cass song. Things like that are interesting to me. I also think we learned a lot in this episode (even if we don't have enough information yet to process it all).

Best moment: Kate finding the chocolate. That scene was perfect.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
And about the hair... I meant Jacks hair, in the flashbacks was very 5 years ago style. Maybe older? I'm sure Desmond can cut his hair, he's got everything in that luxury hatch, I'm sure there's a flowbee somewhere.
[daffy duck]Ah, pronoun troubles.[/daffy duck]

Sorry, 'bout that.

To nit picks, while Michael was waiting in the park, his pants were the current pleat-less flat front. If it was about 7 years ago, he'd have some pleats--according to my J. Crew catalog (which I have yet to submit for recycling)--or has time flown that fast?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 02:34 PM

Yes, this last episode had some major modifications. It was going to be a Sawyer episode, but they decided to make a Michael one to fit with the "lost son" stuff.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 06:40 PM

Here yo go:

Different logo, but a logo indeed.

Maury
Was just about to post the same image.

It's the same logo as on all the food in the bunker isn't it.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 06:43 PM

Just found out Dharma means Protection.

http://aboutdharma.org/what-is-dharma.php
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB
All the furnishings in the hatch/apartment are pre-1980. Curious that no technology was refreshed.
i wonder about his washer and dryer though. reminded me of these, which would be odd since they're very new.

That's why the numbers are on the hatch, the serum Desmond shoots, and the numbers to enter into the workstation every 108 minutes.
it could also be 3 hours if the display is showing seconds (60 x 60 x 3 = 10800).

-r.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 07:52 PM

To nit picks, while Michael was waiting in the park, his pants were the current pleat-less flat front. If it was about 7 years ago, he'd have some pleats--according to my J. Crew catalog (which I have yet to submit for recycling)--or has time flown that fast?
Based on fashion? As in pleats were in 7 years ago and not as much today? 'cause I definitely had pleat-less Khacki's for as long as I remember. It wasn't until my current employment (conservative consulting firm) and getting seriously into golf that I started to go pleats.

Is it just me? or does Michael seem like a real selfish prick? While everyone has issues, I do see some redeeming values in them... but that Michael guy - I'd have no issues seeing Walt be orphaned.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 08:10 PM

At least we got a bunch of reasons to think that Michael is a d!ckhead, and actively root for him to get consumed by a certain tattooed shark. Or was that just me?

Sure, the guy has been through a lot, but everyone one that show has been through the wringer to a certain extent. Last episode cemented Michael's place on my list of characters that should be wearing a red Star Trek uniform.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
Is it just me? or does Michael seem like a real selfish prick? While everyone has issues, I do see some redeeming values in them... but that Michael guy - I'd have no issues seeing Walt be orphaned.
That's funny, because I thought they were showing us that, for all his faults, Michael could never be as selfish as Walt's mother was.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by as2
It's the same logo as on all the food in the bunker isn't it.

macroy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
That's funny, because I thought they were showing us that, for all his faults, Michael could never be as selfish as Walt's mother was.
True. I have to admit - when they were in that courtroom, and his wife was spewing that BS about doing what's best for Walt - I was pretty much thinking that I'd slap that biatch if it was me. Nontheless - he's still a selfish bastard.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2005, 11:27 PM

"You need to get back to your art. (Just forget you ever had a son, because your art is more important than Walt.)"

"It's not about what's best for you and me; it's about what's best for Walt. (The fact that I'm getting everything I want at the same time is purely coincidental.)"

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2005, 10:27 AM

What did everyone think of episode 3? I thought it was a great episode. We learned all about The Hanso Foundation and Project Dharma, got a good preview of the other people on the island, reconnected with Jinn, and saw interesting scenes involving Locke's past.

I really like how Jack took one look at the Dharma video and assumed that it was all just a big psychological experiment. Stick two people into an isolated chamber and tell them that they absolutely must enter the secret code into the console every 108 minutes, and then watch them using a remote video feed... heh...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 11:34 PM

Lost has jumped the shark with season 2, that's all I can say. Blah.

I knew a good thing couldn't last.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Lost has jumped the shark with season 2
Literally, I guess.

I still haven't decided how I feel about this new season. Some things are in the spirit of the old, but right now it's on pace with 24 with a lot less happening.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 09:34 AM

Why do you say that? I'm as addicted as ever to the show.

Chris

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 09:39 AM

I guess I was spoiled by watching the first season in its entirety on DVD, all within about a week. The entire first season took place over the course of months, but the last six episodes (last few episodes of season 1, too) have happened over the course of a day or two.

I just want some new storylines, I guess.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2005, 09:51 AM

Okay, I know exactly what you mean now. ;-)

The wife and I watched the DVDs over 10 days last month too.

Chris

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 10:15 AM

I guess I was spoiled by watching the first season in its entirety on DVD, all within about a week. The entire first season took place over the course of months, but the last six episodes (last few episodes of season 1, too) have happened over the course of a day or two.

I just want some new storylines, I guess.
44 days, actually.

/just sayin
//season 2 will cover 45 to 50 days as well

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 10:24 AM

44 days, actually.
But who's counting?

/just sayin
//season 2 will cover 45 to 50 days as well
I'm sure it will; I'm just waiting for some things to wrap up and for other things to get started.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2005, 10:46 AM

The ball will start rolling in this week's episode. The first three of the season we're used to answer the hatch question and stuff, and now that that's done, we'll be going back to more story line stuff. Tomorrow's show will be about Hurley's past, so it ought to be good.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:00 AM

so we found another bunker. i don't understand why the guns are so clean. did desmond spend all his time polishing them.
( Last edited by macaddict0001; Oct 13, 2005 at 01:09 AM. Reason: elaborating)

Warung
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 08:45 AM

I just recently watched a movie called "Pi" and noticed quite a few similarities between certain shots in that film and the "Desmond scenes" in S02 E02/03. Also the whole number theme of Pi fits in with Lost's focus on numeral combinations...

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 09:35 AM

Was Walt on the milk carton last Wed. night? (S2 E4) ...

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

Drill a hole in Desmonds head and release the demons, Pi style. Good movie by the way. Also did Requiem for a Dream.

andi*pandi
Oct 14, 2005, 06:04 PM

oops, I guess that stadium Jack and Desmond were running in was in LA, so Jack isn't from boston. Oh well!

taking bets on whether jack's wife died tragically or left him for the hotshot lawyer who won her case against the family of the guy who hit her car and caused her accident...

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by macaddict0001
so we found another bunker. i don't understand why the guns are so clean. did desmond spend all his time polishing them.
When he wasn't polishing something else.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2005, 07:04 AM

Okay, im sure this has been discussed but...
http://www.mrclucks.com/ (thats where Hugo worked)
The large logo is actually a .GIF - It goes through two images:

Normal Logo

Random 'Flashes' Up Image

The main texts it displays are:
Jack Will Di...
Jin
Polar Bear
Dharma
Hanso
Hurley
It also says
Dont Push the Button. The Button is Bad!
On the site there are two links, one which leads to a podcast and another displaying web links.
The samspade information for MrClucks is interesting:
Registrant:
We Love McCall INC.
123 Main St
New York NY 20001
US
212-555-5555
Domain Name: MRCLUCKS.COM
Administrative Contact:
One Mystery [email protected]
Fake?

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2005, 10:03 AM

If you click on the A+ button on the main page, it brings up an audio page with podcasts about each episode. It's gotta be a fan site.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2005, 10:28 AM

Woot! Finally it's Mittwoch. It's been a long time since I've looked forward to a new episode of a network TV series. Hopefully, someone will punch Michelle Rodriguez for a change tonight.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2005, 10:20 PM

Whelp, another episode, another disappointment. I guess they can't all be season ones.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 10:12 AM

I have to agree this time. Last night's episode was lacking. 43 minutes of walking around the island and Jin and Sun flashbacks.

The flashbacks were redundant IMO; at least I didn't see anything new from them. Since we've got new cast members, it might be nice to know more about them. Just a thought.

You know, if they're going to have 17 minutes of advertising, it might also be nice to clump the ads together in larger segments of time, and have more than 10 minutes of contiguous show. That's so annoying, I'm considering waiting until the DVDs come out to watch the rest of the season.

Nice to see the next one won't be on for another 3 weeks too.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 10:46 AM

SUCKED.

What we "learned":

• The Others either have children or people with major psychosis due to one of them carrying a stuffed bear.
• The Others apparently chose NOT to kill Michael because there's no way they didn't hear him.
• Hurley's dog crapped nickels once.

Oh JJ, why must you always let your shows go to crap?

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 10:46 AM

I Am Mr. Echo.

barbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2005, 11:04 AM

To be totally honest with you, I hate the show but love it at the same time. I just think that the story is great, but toooooooooooooo daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn slooooooooooooooooooooooow. Seriously, there will be 50 seasons before we found out what's going on.

deej5871
Senior User
Oct 20, 2005, 04:22 PM

• The Others either have children or people with major psychosis due to one of them carrying a stuffed bear.
I originally thought that was meant to show that they really had Walt with them somewhere because that was Walt's bear, but now that you mention it I don't remember Walt having any stuffed bear.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by deej5871
I originally thought that was meant to show that they really had Walt with them somewhere because that was Walt's bear, but now that you mention it I don't remember Walt having any stuffed bear.
I think he was being sarcastic. The bear-toting boy was almost surely Walt. Even if he didn't have a bear before, the Others could have given him one.

andi*pandi
Oct 20, 2005, 04:45 PM

No. The bear was old, battered, etc. Walt had no bear, and do you think he'd lug one around? If he's walking somewhere he's bound to be, er, bound.

We're meant to think it might be Walt, but we really should be thinking Alex, the french chick's kid. Is alex a boy or girl, BTW?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2005, 04:53 PM

It's hard tell if it was Walt for one of two reasons: there's more than one person with an identical bear, or crappy editing. Check out these screen grabs:

The foot of the first bear-holder looks white with mud, to me. Notice, too, the long pants:

Here's the first person's bear:

Now, here's the second time we see the bear, the carrier of which is obviously white and wearing short pants -- but the bears are identical:

So, either the first is Walt and the second is someone else -- but both have identical bears -- or the editors screwed-up. Unfortunately, I'm leaning toward the latter.

=(

Maury

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2005, 06:48 PM

or it's the french lady's child, now grown up.

-r.

Forum Links
Forum Rules