Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade BTO 2.0GHz MacBook Pro VS 2.16GHz MacBook Pro

Upgrade BTO 2.0GHz MacBook Pro VS 2.16GHz MacBook Pro
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2006, 10:01 PM

Believe it or not the guy at the Apple Store on campus did a very good job of talking me out of the top end 15.4" MacBook Pro in favor of the low end one. He showed me how, with BTO options like upgrading to 1GB of RAM and the 100GB 7200RPM drive, I could buy almost the same thing as the stock 2.16GHz 15.4" model, with a faster drive and still buy AppleCare for less than $100 more than the stock 2.16GHz model.

My largest question is to people who have seen both in operation. Can anyone tell the difference in performance between a 2.0GHz CoreDuo MacBook Pro and a 2.16GHz MacBook Pro?

I'm looking for validation here-it'll help when I start adding up shipping and tax.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GoCats
Jun 19, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Believe it or not the guy at the Apple Store on campus did a very good job of talking me out of the top end 15.4" MacBook Pro in favor of the low end one. He showed me how, with BTO options like upgrading to 1GB of RAM and the 100GB 7200RPM drive, I could buy almost the same thing as the stock 2.16GHz 15.4" model, with a faster drive and still buy AppleCare for less than $100 more than the stock 2.16GHz model.

My largest question is to people who have seen both in operation. Can anyone tell the difference in performance between a 2.0GHz CoreDuo MacBook Pro and a 2.16GHz MacBook Pro?

I'm looking for validation here-it'll help when I start adding up shipping and tax.
Based on this report from BareFeats I decided to go with the 2.16. Sorry. I was going to do the same thing as you're talking about, but there appears to be a fairly significant speed difference for some reason.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd2.html

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by GoCats
Based on this report from BareFeats I decided to go with the 2.16. Sorry. I was going to do the same thing as you're talking about, but there appears to be a fairly significant speed difference for some reason.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd2.html
That comparison link is comparing a 17" MacBook Pro (2.16GHz) with a 15" 2.0GHz MacBook Pro. The 17" model is faster at 3D benchmarks as it has a faster-clocked X1600 chip.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 11:42 PM

I really don't think the difference between the two would be noticeable. Heck, even if it was noticeable, it wouldn't matter that much because you wouldn't be comparing the two models in normal use. The 2Ghz model is very fast.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 11:58 PM

The difference in 3D benchmark is because the clock/mem speeds ramp up on the 17" when under load. I think the 15" are fixed, but can be increased with the ATI hack. The only actual difference between the base model and the 2.16 that isn't a changeable option is the x1600 is 128MB ram instead of 256MB.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 12:50 PM

You would not notice a difference,
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules