Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple releases iOS 9 to public, servers under load

Apple releases iOS 9 to public, servers under load
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 16, 2015, 01:11 PM

Apple has thrown the switch on iOS 9, making it available for all users. The upgrade, weighing in at 1.3 GB, has improvements in four core areas: Intelligence, Apps, iPad, and Foundation. New additions include improvements to Siri, search, multitasking, Apple Pay, and other areas, as detailed in our exclusive Hands On.

Search in iOS 9 has been expanded to include more sources, including sports schedules, Netflix, and other content from within apps. Developers will also gain access to a search API, to include their apps or services within search. Spotlight also displays the suggested apps and actions, depending on what it believes the user is likely to need at that moment (which it learns over time).

News is a new app included in iOS 9, which aims to provide "beautiful content from the world's greatest sources, personalized for you." Articles from various sources show up in a Flipboard-inspired interface, including national and local news, special interest publications, and blogs, with built-in videos and zoomable photographs, and with it also offering more related articles based on what news stories the user has previously read. MacNN is among the news venues included in the launch.

The major change this time around is multitasking, allowing users to easily switch between and use multiple apps at the same time. Double tapping the Home button brings up a task switcher, so users can quickly select another app to use. Two apps can also be brought up on screen at the same time, allowing both to be used together. When in one app, a Slide Over tray to the right can be used to bring up a secondary app, like Twitter or a messaging service, so the first app does not need to be exited at all. For video apps, a picture-in-picture mode can allow a video to stay in the corner while another app is being used.

Download speeds are slow at the moment, but manageable. As with all new versions of the operating system, we do not recommend installing it immediately on vital equipment for production.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 16, 2015 at 01:11 PM. )

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2015, 01:58 PM

1.4GB for my iPhone 5S and ~950MB for my iPad 3.

Updated my iPhone 5S through iTunes (connected via USB) and was seeing maximum download speed (~3.8MB/s). Now, I'm doing an on-device update of my iPad 3 and it's taking much, much longer to download.

So far I like it on the iPhone. The fonts are tweaked just right now, and the larger buttons in certain cases help a lot. The new Siri is kind of slick, though I don't use Siri much beyond asking simple things like, "Where can I get pizza?" or "How's the weather this afternoon?"

bdmarsh
Sep 16, 2015, 02:28 PM

1 GB on my iPhone 6, and 1.1 GB on my iPad Air 2, both downloaded in about 3 minutes flat. Did both "on device" updates. (well, iPhone 6 already updated and running, iPad finished download and is processing the update)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2015, 02:47 PM

Doing the full blown update via iTunes. 1.81GB and 1.83GB for iPhone and iPad respectively. iPhone took about an hour. iPad is downloading now with an ETC of 4 hours.
45/47

cartoonspin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2015, 04:46 PM

858 MB on iPhone 5....no delays

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2015, 06:26 PM

1.05GB of 1.83GB for iPad, 3 hours remaining. It must be iPad users are slamming the server.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules