Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Catalina - Install or Hold Off?

Catalina - Install or Hold Off?
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2019, 08:41 PM

Is Catalina "ready for prime time?" It's the first new version of OS X that hasn't seemed to have come with a flood (to me, anyway) of media gush and oohing and aahing from pundits, so frankly I don't know what to expect from it, nor what I'll be gaining over Mojave.

Comments, please.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Oct 14, 2019, 08:50 PM

I'm probably going to skip it. If you do want Catalina, the Ars review recommends waiting until x.1 or x.2 for bug fixes.

Catalina offers greater iOS integration. I don't care about that (no iOS devices so far).

Catalina costs: removal of 32-bit app compatibility. Removal of the System volume to a separate hidden volume. In addition to SIP, yet another removal of user control. And they're on their way to removing 3rd party kernel extensions. Which matter when you want to do something Apple doesn't approve of, like running later OS versions on older hardware.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2019, 04:13 PM

Also I've had direct experience that the installer is terrible. Several clients have ended up with unusable systems after installer screw ups. More so than any other update in my memory.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Oct 15, 2019, 07:54 PM

Well those are more than enough reasons to wait. I'm not sure I've actually gotten Mojave "down pat" for the stuff I currently do. Switching to a new, very different environment isn't something I'm anxious to dive into.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2019, 01:40 PM

I suspect the installer issues may be down to the complexity of going from an older version to one with a substantially different approach to the file system. Not only is it converting from HFS+ to APFS (on pre HS systems anyway), its repartitioning the core storage volume AND moving system applications and files to the new invisible partition and establishing hard links to the faked up single hard drive image. A lot more to go haywire in potentially catastrophic ways than probably any previous update.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules