Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just ran over a pigeon..

I just ran over a pigeon..
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 10:53 PM

And I feel terrible. I tried to swerve, but the silly thing tried to fly in that same direction and.. WHACK! I heard it's bones snap and could see feathers flying in my rear view mirror.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
And I feel terrible. I tried to swerve, but the silly thing tried to fly in that same direction and.. WHACK! I heard it's bones snap and could see feathers flying in my rear view mirror.
Why are you telling me this?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 10:55 PM

Oh well.

Maybe it was committing hari-kari.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Why are you telling me this?
Who are you?

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:01 PM

Who are you?
I can't tell you. You're a stranger.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2004, 11:02 PM

Once happened to me, too.
Flock of birds swooped down while I was driving on I-75 at about 70mph. The last bird in the flock smacked straight into the windshield of the Ford Explorer I was driving. I saw the bird's head go flying off in one direction, and the headless body got stuck under the right windshield wiper.
I was so stunned I had no idea what to do. First thought was that I was going to die as the bird came crashing through the windshield. Fortunately (for me at least), it didn't happen.
Couldn't pull over, and was too stunned to think about what to do next. Didn't know what to do with a headless bird stuck to my car. Had to turn on the wipers to free the bird body. Flew up & over the car, landed on the shoulder of the road.
No damage to the car/glass, and virtually no blood on the car, either. Just a couple stuck feathers.
Yuck.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2004, 11:07 PM

yeh, well at least you don't have too dodge bloody roos like we have to.

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 11:13 PM

A small bird burst out of wet bushes and flew straight into the side of my moving car early one morning. I heard it hit and saw a puff of feathers out of the corner of my eye. A moment later, I could see the bird lying on the ground in my rear view mirror.

I had hoped that I had only stunned the bird, but when I returned some hours later the bird was still lying there. I did feel bad about it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2004, 11:44 PM

*cough*
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2004, 11:47 PM

Same thing here, a few years back I was driving on country road with no street lighting.

A rabbit ran out in front of me, I hit it and it flew up the hood of the car and over the windscreen, covering it in blood. Not a nice sight, wipers got rid of most of it. When I stopped there was blood all the the roof of the car too.

Makes me shudder now thinking about it.

Never had a white car since.

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Sealobo
Aug 26, 2004, 11:47 PM

that bone cracking sound will forever remind in a very special place in your memory.

ouch~

quandarry
Aug 27, 2004, 12:02 AM

we'll miss olePigeon around here...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 12:14 AM

So you let it go to waste?!? That could have been my dinner!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2004, 12:23 AM

So what ?

You did a good thing, just killed a rat with wings...

-t

Montezuma58
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 12:30 AM

I've lost track of the number of birds I've hit with a vehicle. I've had them turn into big downy clouds. I've had them stick in the grill. A couple of weeks ago, a bird hit the side of my car. I heard a loud whack on the side of my car while I was driving. I thought that it must have been a stray baseball, kids throwing rocks, or such. After I stopped the were little bits of feathers and guts stuck stuck to the window.

I hit two robins about a month ago. I had just pulled out of my driveway. The birds were fighting and flew right into my windshield. I probably wasn't even going 10 mph. Did not seem to phase them though.

Once had a covey of quail rise up in front of a van I was driving. The sound of 8 or 9 birds hitting a vehicle in rapid succession is rather humorous in a sick kind of way.

I had a scary near miss with a turkey vulture. I was on my motorcycle going about 85 mph. I saw the bird on the side of the road taking off. Looked like he was going to fly across the road and be out of the way in plenty of time. But the bird turned and went parallel to the road and I drove right under him.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Montezuma58:
I was on my motorcycle going about 85 mph.---But the bird turned and went parallel to the road and I drove right under him.
That's where I piss my pants!

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:26 AM

I damn near hit a wild turkey (the bird, not the booze) a few years back. Glad I missed it - it would have put quite a dent in my grille.
Around here, deer are the real road hazard. Hit Bambi's big brother and you can really do damage to your car and yourself.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 03:51 AM

Congratulations!
One flying rat less...

Myriad
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2004, 03:52 AM

Obviously that pigeon went back on the deal. Not your fault.
Have you seen me?

Corintheus
Aug 27, 2004, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by storer:
yeh, well at least you don't have too dodge bloody roos like we have to.
Pfft, only if you live in the sticks.

It's not a drinking problem if I don't have a problem with it.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Corintheus:
Pfft, only if you live in the sticks.
guessing that you mean a regional area? and I was being sarcastic anyway, so yeh... im not some bush person.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 05:17 AM

props, that's 1 less to **** on my car!
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 07:22 AM

Don't feel bad. It happens. While your description is truly gross, it has entertained some.

Never EVER swerve to avoid an animal. Apply the brakes and take it stright on (especially if it is a deer). You're more likely to kill yourself by running into a tree or another car if you lose control or don't watch where you are swerving.

Remember: It's either you or them.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hey, don't worry about the pigeon.

We have an agreement with the pigeons.

storer
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Never EVER swerve to avoid an animal. Apply the brakes and take it stright on (especially if it is a deer). You're more likely to kill yourself by running into a tree or another car if you lose control or don't watch where you are swerving.
exactly.. i know someone who dodged a kangaroo and barely came out of it alive.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 08:40 AM

I hit a horse once.

Darn thing ran out into the street at about 11:30 PM at night. It had gotten out of its pasture and was running around on a freeway. I hit it going about 55mph in a big farm truck.

Totaled the truck. Horse died. Traffic stopped for hours.

I felt bad about it for a long time. Horse belonged to a 16-year old girl and she was heartbroken.

Other than that, I haven't hit much except a raccoon once.

And, since I was bitten by that cat and had to get rabies shots, whenever I'm driving and I see a cat on the road I have to resist the urge to floor it.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 08:49 AM

what a coincidence. i saw a squirrel get hit by the car in front of me. the head was definitely crushed, but the rest of the body was flip-floping around like a flag in the wind. (not the fake moon landing wind, but real wind) quite a sad thing to see any time of the day, but at 07:00 it makes for a shitty start to the day.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Aug 27, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I damn near hit a wild turkey (the bird, not the booze) a few years back. Glad I missed it - it would have put quite a dent in my grille.
Around here, deer are the real road hazard. Hit Bambi's big brother and you can really do damage to your car and yourself.
There are a lot of wild turkeys near my work place. I've always got to watch out for them. I've had a couple fly out in front of the car but nothing really close yet. I had to stop the other day for a mom and a bunch of baby turkeys crossing the road.

I agree about the deer. Here was my new car only one month after I bought it . I was going about 65. The deer was going balls out across the road. Neither one of us could have seen each other until it was too late. I was barely even able to begin to lift my foot off of the gas before we collided. This was a small dear too. I'm just glad it did not crash into the side window.

You also need to watch out for those deer jumping off of bridges.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Don't feel bad. It happens. While your description is truly gross, it has entertained some.

this person speaks the truth. as a young woman my grandma took out an entire family of ducks (mom and 6 or 7 chicks) as they were crossing the road under a bridge. they were unable to be seen in the shadow until she was too close to stop and there was no place to swerve. she had to pull over for a few minutes to cry.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 12:59 PM

I really wish I could've swerved and braked harder to avoid it since there were NO cars around. But the problem was that I didn't see it until it was way too late. I was moving downwards on a sloping right hand CURVE (it was sitting at the end of the curve).. AND there was a shadow from a bridge or something above. The pigeon didn't move until I was too close so I didn't think it was a bird or anything LIVE.

They shouldn't have gone back on the deal!

Beewee
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 01:56 PM

I recently hit a bird. Didn't see anything and thought I had missed it. Turned out that he almost made it , poor lil guy hit the space between the bottom of my right head light and the car.

He got lodged in there and broke his neck I think, I didn't notice until a couple days later.

Why don't birds fly "up" when a car is coming? I mean...they're birds!

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:

Pigeons are bloody lazy! Even when you walk upto one, they'll try and walk away from you before actually flying away. Maybe the other birds don't have any idea about how fast the vehicle is moving towards them.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2004, 02:34 PM

Pigeons are bloody lazy!
You got that right, I think it's all the people that throw them food, why hunt when you get feed. I also find pigeons to be on of the most disgusting birds of all. I mean, they're all pretty bad but pigeons are the WORST.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 02:38 PM

Baby deer.

Last summer.

Broke its leg, and it started tottering off, dazed. I was thinking "It's going to die, it's suffering, it needs to be put down" (Thought about doing it myself but only had a pocketknife) So I called the sheriff who said it'd be awhile, hung up just as a huge 'ol SUV came out of nowhere. The deer rolled under it, came out good and dead.

Car wasn't too bad, hit at low speed, but cracked the headlight. I saved a piece of the deer's fur and burned it with the traditional respectful tobacco offering.

I support killing an animal to eat it, or for population control, just sucks to do it in such a disrespectful way. I'd hate to meet my end at the hands of some soccer mom in a GMC jimmy.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2004, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Beewee:

They generally do, but sometimes get caught in the vehicle's air current. Try walking on a highway when a semi passes doing 65 and you'll see what I mean. Now imagine you way less than a pound and you can see how they get pulled in.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by badidea:
Congratulations!
One flying rat less...
go away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules