Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "pink screen" on PB G3, any fix?

"pink screen" on PB G3, any fix?
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2002, 11:16 PM

Is there any fix for this hardware problem? mainly does anyone know the exact problem that causes the lcd to mess up colors like that?

i had the same problem in september last year, but i got it fixed as my powerbook was under warranty. i thought the problem wouldnt recur, so i didnt bother much with applecare.

i took it in to a local dealer, he didnt know where the problem was.

this is my only machine here. i could buy a new computer, but i dont much like the current line up of portables. i really need to get the display fixed, any ideas?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2002, 07:32 AM

Which machine is this on specifically? If your computer came with a hardware test CD, you should see if it can't find anything wrong with your machine. It might be the video RAM, but I don't know exactly what you mean by your screen going "pink" on you.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Which machine is this on specifically? If your computer came with a hardware test CD, you should see if it can't find anything wrong with your machine. It might be the video RAM, but I don't know exactly what you mean by your screen going "pink" on you.</STRONG>
i did the hardware test, it showed nothing wrong.
the problem is with some colors getting distorted... for example every shade of white appears to be some other shade of pink. it looks pretty ugly. i think it is refered to as a "gamma" something problem.. but i'm not to sure about that.

and its on a pismo. it displays fine on an external monitor.

bighead
Senior User
Apr 7, 2002, 03:31 PM

I have the same problem on my Pismo, and the problem is exacerbated when I turn the backlights down (and I often used the Pismo at minimum backlight). I'm sure it is faulty backlights. Thankfully I have AppleCare, so as soon as this semester is over, I'm sending it in for a screen replacement. I think that's your only option.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2002, 04:52 PM

I've actually had the same problem on my Ti occasionally.

I found that if I flexed the case I could get it to go away, so it's hardware related but not something the hardware test will pick up, or so I believe anyway.

I haven't found a solution as yet.

bacchus
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2002, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
<STRONG>Which machine is this on specifically? If your computer came with a hardware test CD, you should see if it can't find anything wrong with your machine. It might be the video RAM, but I don't know exactly what you mean by your screen going "pink" on you.</STRONG>
Sean, the pink screen issue is a pretty common one, and it's caused by a failing backlight (I believe.)

I don't think it's the inverter board, because enough voltage is getting to the screen, so the backlight is going. Think of a flourescent tube as it goes, it gets pink...

Usually, Apple replaces the screen.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 8, 2002, 01:30 AM

I would try calling Apple. Since you got it fixed while it was under warranty they will probably consider it as a problem that was documented before your warranty expired. I know I've heard stories where this happened. You might have to be persistent though. I would argue that they never actually fixed the problem, just put a band-aid on it.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2002, 04:11 AM

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. If the entire screen is going pink, it's definitely something with the backlight; bad video memory only causes rainbow-colored distortions and system hangs with enigmatic graphical patterns on the screen.

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2002, 09:55 PM

so if this is positively a 'back light failure' it should be possible for me to replace that and make it work fine again right? anyone know where i can get the part details?

Forum Links
Forum Rules