Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pick one..

View Poll Results: What should i get?
Poll Options:
Vodka 30 votes (47.62%)
Kahlua 7 votes (11.11%)
Baileys 10 votes (15.87%)
Tequila 16 votes (25.40%)
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll
Pick one..
Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 03:35 AM

Simple littlel poll.. which one should i get?

Cipher13
Oct 18, 2003, 03:53 AM

Tequila. Always.

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2003, 03:58 AM

Vodka. In my case at least, tequila == hangover. Vodka never gives me a hangover.
--

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Oct 18, 2003, 05:29 AM

Bah...step up & be a man...Jack...

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 05:38 AM

This poll is flawed. Where's the option for "all four"?
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 07:43 AM

it has to be, the one and only. jack.

paging dr. daniel. dr daniel please report stat!

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 07:54 AM

One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor. - George Carlin.

I have a love/hate relationship with tequila, I love it, but hate waking up with no memory of the previous night, which tends to happen when i drink tequila.

I also love introducing people to the stuff. When my then girlfriend (now wife) couldn't understand the fuss, we had a tequila evening with some friends. After sereral slammers and a few more shots she's sitting there on the floor, saying something that sounded like

"I still don't understand why you all go on about tequila, I mean it's just not having any sort of q[padsiofa jf[u[eruu ;'lqljerrpu ';jfnmeoie".

Then she fell over with a silly grin on her face and gurgled for an hour or two.

Of course the poll should have an option for a nice bottle of single malt, I'd suggest a Macallan or Highland Park to start you off, and a copy of 'the malt whiskey companion' to take you further.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

cms
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 08:06 AM

Vodka. Absolut by choice. Stolichnaya runs a close second. Grey Goose is quite special too.

Drink it frozen over ice with fresh lime juice and soda water for a truly clean, clear experience. If you're feeling cocktail-y, try a Sea Breeze: frozen vodka over ice, freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, cranberry juice to colour and a hefty squeeze of fresh lime. YUM!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 08:09 AM

- Kahlua
- Bailey's
- Grand Marnier

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 18, 2003, 09:30 AM

Vodka. Ideally, after a few days in the freezer.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 10:48 AM

Grey Goose is an amazing Vodka, especially right from the freezer. The problem with this stuff is that it's too smooth and too easy to drink.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 11:34 AM

Vodka, Absolutly.

(Yeah, terrible pun, but I couldn't resist. )
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 18, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Vodka, Absolutly.

(Yeah, terrible pun, but I couldn't resist. )
Or Stolichnaya, or Black Label Smirnoff - if I can find and then afford it!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 01:14 PM

Pick some red wine because it is heart healthy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 01:26 PM

So's a 26er of Crown Royal!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

- Kahlua
- Bailey's
- Grand Marnier
Damn right. My favorite shot.

It wouldn't let me pick Kahlua and vodka. How's a man supposed to have a black or white Russian?

Macfreak7  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 03:27 PM

Ok i can get only ONE. It's not easy to hide many bottles

I'm kinda partial to BAILEYS.. cause i've had too much of vodka and tequila in the past.. but lets see, have a few more hours before i jump out.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 03:51 PM

Vodka ..or Martini on the rocks ( shaken not stirred )

AutoJC
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Simple littlel poll.. which one should i get?
Stick to wine and beer
AutoJC

Pure Democracy Is Collectivist Mob Rule-
Capitalism.org

climber
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 04:35 PM

This is the best way to buy alcohol at the liquor store. First you need a calculator and a pad of paper.

Step 1. Take the Volume in ml and multiply by the proof, then divide by 200.

Step 2. Divide that number by the cost of the bottle. The higher the number the better (This tells you how many ml of alcohol per dollar it is)

I did this once in College a few years back when the budget was tighter.
climber

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 04:37 PM

Tequila is good if you just want to get completely ********d, so I vote vodka.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Ugh, had em yesterday. Still suffering hangover.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

Blavod & Coke with a dash of Grand Marnier. Mmmmmm...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

faragbre967
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Meneldil:
Vodka. In my case at least, tequila == hangover. Vodka never gives me a hangover.
Then you don't drink enough.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 05:13 PM

Get a nice expensive bottle of vodka and the cheapest tequila you can find.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
People always slide this quote in for the coolness factor...but what they don't know is that actually James Bond had it wrong. Classic straight-up drinks are (generally) always preferred stirred.

Just a little bit of useless information to enlighten your day.

greg
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Oct 18, 2003 at 05:33 PM. )

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by cms:
Vodka. Absolut by choice. Stolichnaya runs a close second. Grey Goose is quite special too.

Drink it frozen over ice with fresh lime juice and soda water for a truly clean, clear experience. If you're feeling cocktail-y, try a Sea Breeze: frozen vodka over ice, freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, cranberry juice to colour and a hefty squeeze of fresh lime. YUM!

Absolut is alright, if it's all there is. But I prefer a potato vodka (though I'm rather interested to try a soy vodka out of curiosity more than anything else). I haven't had Grey Goose, though I've heard a lot of good things about it. Stoli, however, is just a cheap grain vodka. It's better, certainly, than the cheap brands like Karkov or Phillips, but I prefer Smirnoff to it, and then really only for mixing.

My favorite brand at the moment is Chopin, which is the potato version of Belvedere. It is truely a sipping vodka, to be served straight in a glass to be sipped, not taken in shots. It's best served just slightly warmer than ice cold (store in the freezer, then leave it out for about 10 minutes). I'm sure that there are better brands out there, but Chopin is an excellent vodka, especially for it's price (around $25 to $30 per bottle).

Of course there's a lot of other kinds of liquor out there. At the moment, in addition to my Chopin, I have a bottle of Monte Alban mezcal (con gusano y de Oaxaca ) and a bottle of 12 yr old Tomatin single highland malt scotch. The mezcal was about $20 and is pretty good, although it'st he first mezcal I've had so I have no basis of comparison. The scotch was also about $20 and is, by far, the best whisky I've ever had. Again, there are definitely better scotches out there, but for the price this is a superb liquor (though I can't wait till I have a real job and the money to actually try expenssive scotches).

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2003, 09:41 PM

i'd get vodka but you know you really want some of that Old E...yeah dogg!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 02:58 AM

for those of you who voted for tequila, - what is your favorite brand?

i like "cuervo gold", but i really don't know that many brands...

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Then you don't drink enough.
I dunno about that... last spring, at least, I was polishing off quite a bit of stuff. Gravediggers, for instance. One part whiskey, one part 151. Ooh so drunk, but enough of those to blast me didn't cause a hangover. Maybe tequila has some other stuff that affects me more- I've read that darker liquors have been linked to more severe hangovers in some people. Or maybe my friend's theory about the Jose enzyme is correct.

By the way, a great cocktail (at least when made by a friend of mine) is a Hot and Dirty Martini. I don't really like regular martinis, but this is good. It's a vodka martini - use Absolut Peppar as the vodka, vermouth, add an olive stuffed with a jalapeno, and just a dash of brine from the olives or peppers, depending on which you like.
--

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
People always slide this quote in for the coolness factor...but what they don't know is that actually James Bond had it wrong. Classic straight-up drinks are (generally) always preferred stirred.
And if it's usually the case that they're served stirred, this is why Mr Bond has to ask for his shaken. If he wanted it in the default manner, he wouldn't have to ask for his preference, would he?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 12:39 PM

Exactly. To be cool.

What I'm saying is that he wasn't a connoisseur, despite the suave appearance. Stirring doesn't dilute the drink any more than around 10% if done properly, whereas of course shaking will chip the ice and make for quite a watered-down taste. It's generally used more on mixed drinks that need to be smoothly layered.

Of course, since everyone's seen James Bond, everyone asks for their drink "shaken, not stirred" because that obviously must be the better way.

Obviously, it's not.

greg

shmerek
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 12:42 PM

I am such a pussy I don't like any of that ****

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2003, 01:23 PM

Exactly. To be cool.

What I'm saying is that he wasn't a connoisseur, despite the suave appearance. Stirring doesn't dilute the drink any more than around 10% if done properly, whereas of course shaking will chip the ice and make for quite a watered-down taste. It's generally used more on mixed drinks that need to be smoothly layered.

Of course, since everyone's seen James Bond, everyone asks for their drink "shaken, not stirred" because that obviously must be the better way.

Obviously, it's not.
OK... I have no idea about said drink as I tend to drink nothing but watered down goats' pee (Budweiser). So I'll bow to your superior knowledge about said drink.
Just pointing out the logic in Mr Bond actually having to ask for his preference if he does indeed like it that way.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2003, 01:56 PM

Stolichnaya vodka is the best I've tasted. Can't stand Smirnoff or any of the Scando variaties. Stoli is indeed a cheap grain vodka but that is the charming thing about it. Grain vodkas are generally smoother and sweeter with less ethanol flavor.

My other equally favorite is rum. Unspiced white rum. Bacardi is king of rum. At least the mainstream rum. Cuban rum is the best - I wouldn't touch the Puerto Rican **** for money.

Gin. Blue Saphire. It is THE ultimate gin. Straight up, as an ingredient in a mic or coctail or in tonic or grapefruit juice. I especially recommend the Export version (48% alcohol).

(hic)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by deekay1:
for those of you who voted for tequila, - what is your favorite brand?

i like "cuervo gold", but i really don't know that many brands...
My favorite is Patron A�ejo. It was the first tequila that I tasted that was actually smooth going down.

I suggest moving up from any gold/mixto tequila and using either reposado or a�ejo to get a better taste and less chance of a hangover (they do cost more though).

For some really good info on tequila and its production check out http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/index.html.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 02:16 PM

OK... I have no idea about said drink as I tend to drink nothing but watered down goats' pee (Budweiser)
Hahahaha....hey, as far as straight North American big-brewery beers go, I'll take a Canadian-made Bud any day.....

On another note, I'm originally from Newfoundland, Canada, which is the easternmost part of North America. Anyways, we've got a local brew there that's fairly popular, called Black Horse. I should really get someone back home to send me some so I can shock and horrify my friends here on the West Side. The stuff is fairly horrible. Locally, it's known as "Pony Piss"......

greg

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2003, 03:42 PM

Hahahaha....hey, as far as straight North American big-brewery beers go, I'll take a Canadian-made Bud any day.....
Does Canadian Bud have higher alcohol content? I'm in Canada for a few months and have been avoiding anything American as the beer in Canada is much better than the mass-market swill in the US.

Now if only I could find low-carb beer in Alberta so I don't have to switch to spirits to go back on my diet

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2003, 04:09 PM

Yeah, it's 5.5% I think. Still nothing too special, but better than alcholic water.....

greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules