Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bandwidth Management application?

Bandwidth Management application?
gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2007, 03:07 AM

Is there such a thing for OS X? What I'm thinking of, specifically, is an app or service that runs in the background with the ability to monitor, prioritize and manage the amount of bandwidth that is used by individual applications.

For example, if I'm already maxing out my available bandwidth using Transmission, browsing in Safari will obviously slow down to a crawl. The app I'm looking for would allow me to build a priority list that would tell it to allow Safari first dibs on downstream bandwidth over Transmission, thus when I start to use Safari it would cap the bandwidth used by Transmission dynamically as required.

Alternatively, is there a router on the market that has this capability? It would be pretty slick to be able to do the same thing across an entire network. That way I could, say, set it up so that when my XBox 360 is online it would automatically cap the the bandwidth useage of the other computers.

This might be totally out of left field but having to micromanage bandwidth has been a minor annoyance I've had for quite awhile.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 06:28 AM

Throttled Pro.

It will nag you every time you open the configuration app, but once set up, it will run forever with no problems at all.

(Carrafix, regrettably, stopped working properly with 10.4 some time ago, so I settled upon Throttled as a very useful alternative.)

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Throttled Pro.

It will nag you every time you open the configuration app, but once set up, it will run forever with no problems at all.

(Carrafix, regrettably, stopped working properly with 10.4 some time ago, so I settled upon Throttled as a very useful alternative.)
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm running it right now and it's made a very noticeable improvement already, more then I would have expected even.

To test it out, I rounded up a bunch of random torrents so that Transmission would max out as much of my bandwidth as possible (my max downstream is 340KB-375KB/sec). Normally with that much coming down the pipe in Transmission, Safari would be incredibly sluggish loading pages but with Throttle Pro I'm only experiencing a 1-3 second pause, then the page will load as fast as it it were the only app using bandwidth. Very Nice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules