Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > FTP/SFTP under iPhone 2.0?

FTP/SFTP under iPhone 2.0?
gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 03:44 PM

I've done a web search and all I can come up with is info on FTP using a jailbroken 1.x iPhone.

Can anyone tell me if the developer kit will allow FTP, or some other way to access the file structure of the iPhone from OSX/Windows?

I use this all the time using my jailbroken original iPhone and am going to be getting my 3G sometime this week - curious as to whether there may be an app along those lines in the pipeline any time soon.

moep
Senior User
Jul 22, 2008, 03:51 PM

You could jailbreak your iPhone (link) and then install OpenSSH via Cydia for SFTP access.

Worked fine for me today (on the old iPhone but with the 2.0 update — the 3G should work just as well.)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2008, 03:53 PM

The FileMagnet app can transfer files between iPhone and Mac over wifi. It handles PDF, audio, video, images, Office files and folders. iWork support is on the way.

http://www.magnetismstudios.com/FileMagnet

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
The FileMagnet app can transfer files between iPhone and Mac over wifi. It handles PDF, audio, video, images, Office files and folders. iWork support is on the way.

Yes, I was looking at that app and it looks like the closest thing available right now, but I'm hoping for something more standard and cross-platform. If I'm at home, that would probably work ok, but if I'm at the office or in some other situation where I want to quickly transfer some files, quite possibly from a PC, it wouldn't work very well at all. I'd also like to be able to remotely organize things the way I see fit and create directories however works the best for me, something that I don't think is possible with FileMagnet.

I'm more curious to know if such a thing is allowable under the developer kit. If it is, I'd expect an app upcomming that allows it, if not then.... oh well.

DiGi-C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
You could jailbreak your iPhone (link) and then install OpenSSH via Cydia for SFTP access.

Worked fine for me today (on the old iPhone but with the 2.0 update — the 3G should work just as well.)
I used this method aswell, managed to jailbreak and set everything up within about 45 mins, only thing I did differently was use cyberduck to FTP stuff over (did it all on my hackintosh, bit more straight forward).

Though all said and done I dont have any use for it (have no in depth techy knoledge) till theres more cool stuff ported, atm its just the NES emulator

ak_9jsz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Suffice it to say that you still can't bluetooth files with your Mac? I've been enjoying my switch to Apple, but i feel like they've been f***in' around with this iPhone business. Come on, tell me we can at least pair up with our Mac desktops or whatever to send files back and forth... I'm about to Not get it.

DiGi-C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah Bluetooth seriously suxors! Can't even transfer contacts or images from my old phone, defo the worst part of the entire phone

Forum Links
Forum Rules