Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Missing link discovered

Missing link discovered (Page 2)
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 04:51 PM

That's about the worst written article on evolution I've ever seen. Downright terrible. This fossil would be a link between lemurs and the rest of the primates, it would give zero information about the link between humans and other animals. It's hardly "the final piece" for evolution, nor does it "prove" evolution any more than the hundreds of previous missing links that have been found since Darwin's time. Also I don't get the asteroid analogy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 20, 2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I find it hard to believe that Carrot Top is apart of a divine plan.
God is testing your ability to resist killing someone.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2009, 06:16 PM

It would help immensely if you knew what you were talking about, then perhaps we could form some sort of reasonable argument. There is no such thing as macroevolution.
As if Creationists made up the word.
It doesn't really help your case against others' ignorance when the first factoid out of your post is wrong.

macroevolution-berkeley.edu

macroevolution-paleo121

macroevolution-anthro.palomar.edu

Given the fact that you apparently haven't a clue what you're talking about, is there any particular reason why the rest of your post is valid at all? Just checkin'.
ebuddy

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Call me a fundie or a nutbag if you want
Thank You! I choose nutbag! Thanks again for the invite!!!

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
That's about the worst written article on evolution I've ever seen. Downright terrible. This fossil would be a link between lemurs and the rest of the primates, it would give zero information about the link between humans and other animals. It's hardly "the final piece" for evolution, nor does it "prove" evolution any more than the hundreds of previous missing links that have been found since Darwin's time.
Yeah, I've been told repeatedly that proof of Darwin's evolution theory was irrefutable. Yet all of a sudden, this "finding" of an crushed, 18-inch skeleton is represented as being the irrefutable piece, er, the "missing link".

My question is, if the theory of evolution was absolutely irrefutable before this story (as per its supporters), why is this finding such a big deal?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
In my limited capacity of understanding, no. It seems incredibly unlikely and almost mathematically impossible that the complexity of life on this planet (in both plant and animal life) could possibly have come into existence by utter meaningless, random, and chaotic chance.
Well, by definition any creator who would be able to create ALL of this complexity through a sheer act of will would have to be even MORE complex than his creation and thus even MORE unlikely.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 12:14 AM

Does anyone else find it hilarious when christians require irrefutable proof of scientific claims?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Railroader
Banned
May 21, 2009, 12:37 AM

Right, except they were about a thousand years behind everyone else when they were still murdering people.
Seriously? This is your reply?

Seriously?

Never mind. Carry on as is I was not here. I don't want to waste your time.

Railroader
Banned
May 21, 2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Does anyone else find it hilarious when christians require irrefutable proof of scientific claims?
Are you saying you'll accept refutable evidence? Are you saying Christians should?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Are you saying you'll accept refutable evidence? Are you saying Christians should?
Seriously? Do you really not get it or are you just messing with me?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 01:35 AM

I find it odd that this discovery came with a complete global marketing and PR plan. Heck, textbooks featuring the fossil are already in print, and the movie hits theaters this weekend.

Surely some sort of widespread scientific debate must occur before such a proclamation is made, right?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
I find it odd that this discovery came with a complete global marketing and PR plan. Heck, textbooks featuring the fossil are already in print, and the movie hits theaters this weekend.
Yeah I noticed that too. Totally, totally weird. I smell a hoax.

Railroader
Banned
May 21, 2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Seriously? Do you really not get it or are you just messing with me?
I trolled, just like you did.

Seriously, you didn't catch that?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Yeah I noticed that too. Totally, totally weird. I smell a hoax.
From what I gather, they purposely held on to this discovery to release it with the bicentennial of Darwin's birth (or something Darwin related). So if it feels artificial, I think that's why. They said they had this for a few years already.

Forum Links
Forum Rules