Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Velocity + Tomcat 5 driving me crazy

Velocity + Tomcat 5 driving me crazy
Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 02:45 PM

I've used Velocity templates many times in the past with great success. However, I am trying for the first time to use it with Tomcat (jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19) or WebLogic (8.1) with Velocity 1.4 and am having an odd problem. My servlet is the simple servlet_example1 that comes with Velocity. I installed it as suggested, created the web.xml file, and redeployed. I get this error both in WebLogic and in Tomcat:

Code:
WebLogic: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet. Tomcat: 2004-04-21 13:56:09 StandardWrapperValve[VelocityExample]: Allocate exception for servlet VelocityExamplejavax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance ----- Root Cause ----- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:537)
As you can see, the message is essentially the same, so it must be something I am doing wrong (or something wrong in the example).

Here is my web.xml:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app> <display-name>Velocity Sample</display-name> <description> Sample Velocity Template Code </description> <servlet> <servlet-name>VelocityExample</servlet-name> <servlet-class>VelocityExample</servlet-class> </servlet> <servlet-mapping> <servlet-name>VelocityExample</servlet-name> <url-pattern>/velocity</url-pattern> </servlet-mapping> </web-app>
The class file is in WEB-INF/classes/ and is named VelocityExample.class. The java source for that file is:

Code:
import java.io.FileNotFoundException; import java.io.IOException; import java.util.Date; import java.util.Properties; import javax.servlet.ServletConfig; import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest; import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse; import org.apache.velocity.Template; import org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity; import org.apache.velocity.context.Context; import org.apache.velocity.exception.ParseErrorException; import org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException; import org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet; public class VelocityExample extends VelocityServlet { protected Properties loadConfiguration(ServletConfig config) throws IOException, FileNotFoundException { Properties p = new Properties(); String path = config.getServletContext().getRealPath("/"); if (path == null) { System.out .println(" SampleServlet.loadConfiguration() : unable to " + "get the current webapp root. Using '/'. Please fix."); path = "/"; } p.setProperty(Velocity.FILE_RESOURCE_LOADER_PATH, path); p.setProperty("runtime.log", path + "velocity.log"); return p; } public Template handleRequest(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response, Context context) { String currentDate = new Date().toString(); context.put("currentDate", currentDate); Template outty = null; try { outty = getTemplate("velocity_example.vm"); } catch (ParseErrorException pee) { System.out.println("SampleServlet : parse error for template " + pee); } catch (ResourceNotFoundException rnfe) { System.out.println("SampleServlet : template not found " + rnfe); } catch (Exception e) { System.out.println("Error " + e); } return outty; } }
Anyone see where the problem is?
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 02:56 PM

I'm not sure, I've never used Velocity with Tomcat. Do you have servlet.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib?

BTW, driving people crazy is what Tomcat does best

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I'm not sure, I've never used Velocity with Tomcat. Do you have servlet.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib?
There is a $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/servlet-api.jar which contains the requisite class:

Code:
[dshaw@flybook /Library/tomcat/common/lib] jar -tvf servlet-api.jar | grep HttpServlet 7738 Fri Feb 13 21:36:52 EST 2004 javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.class
The thing is, it happens in WebLogic as well, which uses its own set of jar files for the servlet API. I am wondering if there is a problem with Velocity 1.4 (which is pretty new).

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 03:13 PM

I should also mention that a regular servlet that inherits from HttpServlet is working fine in the same installation. So it's not as simple as that Tomcat can't find the class.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2004, 03:22 PM

Weird, it definitely looks like a classpath issue from the errors though. Where is the velocity-dep.jar file located?

Arkham_c  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Weird, it definitely looks like a classpath issue from the errors though. Where is the velocity-dep.jar file located?
Inside my app/WEB-INF/lib folder. That's where it is supposed to go according to the standard. I tried it in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib too but it didn't make a difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules