Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro in car?!

MacBook Pro in car?!
indigoimac
Senior User
Jun 17, 2007, 09:01 PM

Ok, well I recently purchased a MacBook Pro and I have question, is it bad if I leave it in a hot car for a while? I mean, it would be turned off and tucked away, but in the summer heat. Will it 'cause any problems, or am I just being over protective of my investment?

Thanks!
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2007, 09:35 PM

I wouldn't leave it in the direct sun, but other than that, what's to worry about? The things get pretty hot when they're running, anyway.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 12:45 PM

It can get very seriously hot in a car in full sun. All the heat's gotta be bad for your battery life, over time. Everything else is probably OK. Some people suggest the trunk is cooler, haven't seen any actual data on that. If you have something like a mini-van or hatchback...

Personally, a good laptop backback is easy enough to carry around, provided it's not loaded down with peripherals and junk. If I had to regularly leave my laptop in my mini-van in full sun, I'd be tempted to take the battery out and either carry it with me or put it in 2 ziplock bags in the cooler (only the battery, not the laptop, since you'd have to worry about moisture getting into the laptop--whereas the battery is easy enough to protect from moisture.)

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 01:14 AM

cars are easy to break into....word of advice man, unless your in a merc or new beamer. Heat would be the least of my worries especially if you park your car in a public place. in Australia all professional lock smiths have the plans from the manufactures to break into any car (in case of a child/animal etc...), RACV roadside can break into the most popular car in australia within 15 seconds.

Keep the beast of a laptop with you!

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 02:02 AM

If your compuer is "sleeping" as opposed to being powered off, I wouldn't leave it in the car.

Apple says:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)
per Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

I'm not sure if sleeping counts as operating or an in-between state, but I would err on the safe side and not sleep the computer in a hot car.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
I wouldn't leave it in the direct sun, but other than that, what's to worry about? The things get pretty hot when they're running, anyway.
The whole laptop doesn't get that hot. Areas like the screen run a lot cooler than the processor. For people who live in very hot areas, the inside of the car can get over 100 degrees. I've never noticed my screen giving off that kind of heat.

I also agree with seivad. Depending on if a person can find a good hiding place in the car for their laptop, I would worry about someone stealing it. Basically you would have two things to worry about.

A MBP is a big investment. Indigoimac just buy a laptop carrying bag and have peace of mind. When I'm out of the house my laptop goes everywhere I do. The irony to indigoimac's problem is that laptops are made to be carried around.

indigoimac  (op)
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 09:16 AM

Ok. thanks for the relative levity guys. Well, I did get away w. it, 'cause I really couldn't take it with me. But probably never again, I was worried about it all night.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jun 19, 2007, 01:53 PM

Take a can of soda and leave it in your car in the morning when you go to work. At lunch break, in the middle of the day, walk out to your car and grab that can of soda. It will easily reach 150º F, in most cases higher.

Now, I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to leave my ~$2,500 investment (even more for people that use their computers for work i.e. a living) in that sort of condition.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 08:12 AM

This is called "burn in" and actually helps to "seat" all components and speed up your cpu. I am heading out to my car now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules