Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ethernet port on PB1.67 problem

Ethernet port on PB1.67 problem
tmpilling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2007, 03:56 PM

Hi Guys,

I searched the threads for this, but came up empty handed. This relates to the Ethernet port on my PB 1.67.

When I purchased the machine I was using wired internet connection. I moved over to wireless for school and then back again to wired. The problem has been that the ethernet port does not seem to work when I plug in a cable. At all. I spoke to my local genius, he suggested that I start a new location. Ok, so I do that, it doesn't seem to work. BUT, if I go ahead and get crazy and 0 the drive, start from scratch, the port works again. It's at this point that I find out that I can boot from network using the seemingly broken port. Is this weird? Or is it just me?

Got my new router from ISP today, plug in cable to do some quick adminy stuff, neither the router nor the PB recognised that something was connected. Could be the cable. Could be the router, but somehow I think it's this port on the PB.

Any similar experiences? Suggestions?

This is NOT the end of my world, but I am confuzzled

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 05:11 PM

Does the link light on the router light up? Also, you're sure this isn't a crossover cable of some sort?

If you aren't getting link, it's almost guaranteed to be a hardware failure.

tmpilling  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 08:05 AM

The link light does not come on on the router.

It's definitely not a crossover cable (did away with those years ago).

The thing I'm finding so hard to understand is that if I fresh install everything it works perfectly fine for me!

SO bizaar

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Damaged electronics may work intermittently. I suppose, you could try the experiment again to confirm if you were just lucky last time. If you need the ethernet port regularly, get a cheap USB-ethernet adapter like some of the ones listed here.

tmpilling  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
Damaged electronics may work intermittently. I suppose, you could try the experiment again to confirm if you were just lucky last time. If you need the ethernet port regularly, get a cheap USB-ethernet adapter like some of the ones listed here.
Wicked! Thanks for that mate

Forum Links
Forum Rules