Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Crysis 2

Crysis 2
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2010, 12:34 PM

Seeing as how I might be the only one who played the first, I'm very interested in what you all think of the series now that you will be able to play the second.

For those of you who don't already know, thats because Crysis 2 is set to release on the PC, 360, and PS3.

The game breaks away from the tropical jungle and heads to the urban jungle of New York City. I'm quite excited, especially after everything I've read about it. Then again, I really loved the first one. To all of you, are you excited?

The best site to go to for information so far is here.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 02:09 PM

I've only heard mixed reviews about the first Crysis, the strongest points for it being in the visual department. While that is nice I game in SD (the horror!) so the best graphics will be lost on me anyways.

However, I would have bought it, if it had come out for 360. I'd imagine I'll pick it up at some point in the future.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 06:28 PM

Not excited, but looking forward to it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 09:13 PM

Essentially, all I know about Crysis is that nobody's computer was powerful enough to play it. I imagine my MBP could probably clunkily play it now, but I friggin' hate booting into Windows, so I have no particular feelings toward Crysis at all. What's interesting about it?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2010, 12:31 AM

Indeed, the graphics were a lot to ride home about. But there was more.

It was a very open ended FPS. Though the story still progressed linearly, you truly could tackle the same obstacle from multiple directions using multiple tactics, with varying degrees of success.

The nanosuit was a pretty revolutionary game idea. The idea is that the suit has different modes augmenting you in different ways. There is a strength mode, allowing you to jump higher, punch harder, and throw further. There's a speed mode, allowing you to move faster. A stealth mode renders you cloaked and blocks out most environmental noise for a more focused feeling. The last mode is armor mode, where you take heaps of damage to kick butt. All the while, each mode uses up certain amounts of energy from your suit, and if it reaches zero, your augmentations are inactive until it reacharges. I go in to such detail but it's what made the game. Eventually you learn to quickly change from speed to strength to cloak to pull off some pretty amazing gameplay.

Aside from graphics, it was also the attention to detail. You could read newspapers left on the ground. Not from onscreen data. From the textures of the item in your hand. Oh yeah, you can pick up and move, and destroy, everything. The physics and interaction are amazing.
It's also a living, breathing world. Trees sway, birds chirp, waves lap, and the bad guys live when you're not attacking them.

EDIT: I also honestly don't think the game had that steep of requirements. At its minimum requirements, you play at minimum settings and it is still a very good looking game. It just took a lot more to play it at full settings. How much more wasn't really known until almost a year after release.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Feb 11, 2010 at 01:15 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules